PDA

View Full Version : Loop de loop

Toots
09-11-2009, 02:54 PM
Im not big on internet promotion but my girlfriend and I just completed one of the best hikes we have ever hiked. We had 4 days to hike, but weren't sure of where we wanted to go and what we wanted to see. With the past 10 days being near perfect in the Whites being above tree line seemed obvious.

We started at porky gulch on Saturday the 5th at 6:45AM and took off up the Wildcat Ridge tr heading to Carter Dome and around the Wild River Wilderness. We hiked to somewhere in between Blue Brook Shelter and WR Campground and set up camp for the night.

Sunday 6:30 AM

We headed north on the Basin Tr in anticipation of the rugged and scenic trail that lay ahead. Uneventful hiking till we reached Moriah where there seemed to be a bus load of visitors. We snacked and pushed on passing a dozen AT north bounders humping it to Speck taking advantage of the great weather. We ate a late lunch on Hight and soaked in the weather and the unbelievable 360 degree views for over an hour. The rest of the day was a bit of a circus with the gondola crowd and kids at the hut but we had a stellar night under the stars.

Monday 7:00 AM

We pseudo 'bushwacked' under the gondola headed for Lila's Ledge and the Mad Gulf tr. MGT is one of my all time favorite trails. For me it has it all and it builds continuously right to the tree line. We had ideal weather with relatively cool and windy conditions and were able to make it to Madison hut by 10:15 and a late breakfast. From there it was ideal conditions all the way to Lakes bypassing George for a wonderful lunch of leftovers and juice. After our fill of perfume we pushed to Crawford as Tuesday was going to be a tough day.

Tuesday 6:15 AM

We got an early start heading up Avalon to AZ and Zealand for breakfast. I hate AZ trail with a passion... Dont know why, just hate it. On the flip side I love the Pemi and the views from the hut porch so I guess it evens out. We moved on up the AT to Guyot and over to Garfield for a final lunch and a retaping of the heels. From here we had a textbook afternoon with perfect weather and very few people as we made our way over Laf, Lincoln and to little Haystack where we soaked in the views and simplicity of the outdoors. We exited Falling Waters to the campground...

It wasn't exactly a Pemi Loop but all things considered it was a really awesome hike and albeit tough, a very rewarding one at that.

Thought I'd share

Toots

Brad
09-11-2009, 05:08 PM
You certainly picked the good weather!

mtruman
09-12-2009, 12:07 PM
Wonderful hike! What a great way to spend four days. Thanks for sharing.

KD Talbot
09-12-2009, 07:57 PM
Ambitious trip! Must have been great!

KDT

Snow Miser
09-13-2009, 03:59 PM
It sounds like it was a great hike. Thank for sharing!

krummholz
09-14-2009, 06:21 PM
This was an unbelievably ambitious trip. Any idea what your total mileage and vertical were? I'm in awe, actually.

Toots
09-15-2009, 05:01 PM
This was an unbelievably ambitious trip. Any idea what your total mileage and vertical were? I'm in awe, actually.

We averaged close to 17 miles per day, but aren't sure of vertical as it's not something we care about. We originally were heading north aprox 60 miles but decided to stay close and spend as much time above tree line as possible. For us the most difficult parts of the trip were north Carter, coming off C Dome and between Galehead and Garfield however all were anticipated as we have hiked this route many times before. The rest was smooth sailing.

While it seems ambitious to some it was actually good preparation for our next hut traverse which we are trying to do in sub 15 hours. We'll see....