PDA

View Full Version : Help with trail foods/snacks

CHRIS
09-14-2009, 07:20 AM
This might be a stupid question. I was wondering what does everybody bring for food and snacks to keep them going while hiking? I have type 2 diabetes that I control by diet no medicine and I have to be careful of sugar intake but I find I get burnt out some times while hiking. I try to snack like every 1/2-1 hour but sometimes that don't work so I thought maybe I am not snacking on the right stuff so I figured I would ask here.

Snow Miser
09-14-2009, 08:11 AM
Chris, I usually like to pack the following:
- trail mix (sometimes with M&Ms mixed in)
- beef jerky (homemade or Rosie's from Vermont)
- peanut butter & jelly sandwiches
- peanut butter & marshmallow fluff
These have some sugar, but I usually don't pack anything with too much as I don't like the sugar highs and lows.

mtruman
09-14-2009, 09:16 AM
We usually carry:

- A few granola bars or "energy" bars (Cliff Bars, Luna, etc)
- A bag of some sort of trail mix (nuts, dried fruit, maybe some M&Ms)
- Apples
- A small jar of peanut butter and pretzels to dunk in it (this is often what we use for lunch on multi-day hikes)
- A few of the individually wrapped Crackerbarrel sharp cheddar cheeses (also good for dunking in the peanut butter)
- Maybe a chocolate bar or two (yup, peanut butter again)
- On day-hikes we often substitute sandwiches (PBJ, Fluffernutters, PB&Honey) for the other "lunch" items (hmmm, seems to be a PB theme here).

We of course don't carry all of these on every hike - but generally some combination of 3-4 of them depending on duration.

Brad
09-14-2009, 10:11 AM
I agree with the types of things already posted. Think about the temp outside also. Things that are fine in the summer can be very hard to eat in the winter when frozen. My first winter time back into Tuckerman Ravine we picked up nice Italian sub sandwiches to eat on the deck at HoJo's. We did eat them but - frozen Italian sandwiches have NO taste!

CHRIS
09-14-2009, 12:06 PM
Thanks for your input guys. I bring alot of what you guys do exspecially peanut butter (I am addicted). Except the fluff I would love to eat that but I might as well just eat sugar. Love it but cannot eat it. I think I just hike way to fast as I usually walk very fast. I try to pace myself but it is hard to slow down when you are normally a fast walker.

Tim&Val
09-14-2009, 06:28 PM
Hi Chris,
I've got sugar issues also, so I need to be careful on the trail. I try to ensure that I get protein, fiber and fat along with slow-releasing carbs.

Beef jerky
Cheese (the individual Cracker Barrel slices are convenient - also string cheese - I make these my first snack of the day or they may get a little gnarly in extreme heat or cold)
Apple wedges
Dried apricots
Nuts
Luna/Cliff bars (these do have some protein - not all carbs)
Hard boiled eggs

Beware of chewy granola bars - so much sugar that you may as well just eat a candy bar. Also, they will break your teeth in winter.

Tim eats PB&J or PB&Honey on a pita or wrap. They hold up a bit better than bread over a long day.

My two cents,
Valerie

AndyM
09-14-2009, 07:58 PM
The suggestions posted so far are good ones, although beef jerky may have too much salt. I find that foods with some protein and fat content help to keep the hunger at bay. If glucose control and utilization is an issue, something balanced is probably better. It may not only be the foods you eat, but the pace at which you consume them as well.

redthorne
09-14-2009, 08:44 PM
A solution for the salty beefy jerky is to make your own, therefore you can control the salt content and have some good treats around the home.

If you can locate Alton Brown's (of FoodTV) recipe for beef jerky you may find it appealing! You don't even need a food dehydrator....just a box fan and some cheapo central air filters from home depot. (it is the moving air that dries food, not heat)

It works, I've done it.

Addicted
09-15-2009, 10:00 AM
I live by my turkey sandwich, trailmix similar to everyone elses, an apple and some beef jerky. Or turkey jerky, but I can never find it. I found that the beef 'nuggets' don't taste as salty, but I'm sure they are right up there on content.

Magpie
09-15-2009, 06:31 PM
I think we all bring the same things for day hikes
Jerky
PB
Gorp
etc.
If you are doing a overnight trip try tour local health food store. Most shops have things like dried shrimp and fruits.
You might find low sugar dry fruits.
I discovered that you can enjoy a better food than freeze dried hiking food if you just test some things at home first.
One of my favorites is shrimp and garlic over Asian noodles. I also always bring some kind of herbs to cook with.
Day hikes anything in a bag will do for me.

Brad
09-15-2009, 07:00 PM
I am not a beef jerky type of guy. But, buffalo jerky is awesome!

CHRIS
09-16-2009, 06:41 AM
Thanks everybody for your input. I do bring most of what everybody does except cheese. I will have to bring some next time. Brad next time you bring a sub in the cold you should try maybe wrapping a hand warmer to the package. Maybe that will keep it from freezing.