PDA

View Full Version : New PBS Series on the National Parks

spyboy
09-14-2009, 07:44 AM
I just caught the half hour teaser for the new series by Ken Burns (a NH resident too!)

National Parks: America's Best Idea

airs Sept 27th, 6 part series.

http://www.pbs.org/nationalparks/

mtruman
09-14-2009, 09:05 AM
This really looks like it's going to be a great series. I saw the preview when they first aired it a couple of months ago. There's a good article on it in the current issue of Backpacker as well. We're unfortunately going to be away for several of the days that it's on so I'm going to have to be sure to set the DVR!

faegilr
09-14-2009, 09:59 AM
Ken and Dayton Duncan (his production partner) have been named honorary Park Rangers...most NPS sites will be doing some screenings of the film and there is going to be a big celebration on the 26th of September where people are encouraged to volunteer at their local park and entrance fees will be waived at all 391 units of the NPS.

We are having an event at Dorchester Heights here at my park (I'm a ranger at Boston National Historic) and over at Minute Man they are celebrating their 50th anniversary and the reopening of Battle Road. Should be a fun day.

Brad
09-14-2009, 10:02 AM
I saw the preview (teaser) show and the photos were amazing. The DVR will be all set to record.

Snow Miser
09-14-2009, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the heads up Kirk! Won't want to miss watching these.

redthorne
09-14-2009, 08:49 PM
I saw the preview (teaser) show and the photos were amazing. The DVR will be all set to record.

Thank you for reminding me that I have a DVR, lol...I often forget that I can actually record cool shows when I'm not at home. Quite not what you would expect from a computer technician.

Nice find, looking forward to the series.

Brad
09-14-2009, 08:59 PM
For those who missed the PBS preview it is at http://video.pbs.org/video/1132712651

Snow Miser
09-15-2009, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the video link Brad. I just watched it. It's going to be a really nice six part series to watch.

faegilr
09-24-2009, 10:00 PM
I got to watch the concert that they had in Central Park last night with clips interspersed on WGBH's big screen down in Brighton and it looks fantastic. I have a feeling that a lot of new people are going to be applying for seasonal jobs for the winter and spring.

If you miss any of the episodes this upcoming week, you can watch them all a week from Friday during the marathon presentation

brosati
09-25-2009, 01:48 PM
I am looking forward to watching this show also!
B ;-)

Snow Miser
09-27-2009, 01:24 PM
The series begins tonight at 8pm EDT.:)

mtruman
09-27-2009, 04:58 PM
Actually, the first episode was on at 2:00 this afternoon (and repeated several more times including at 8:00 tonight). It was excellent! Can't wait for the other 5 episodes this week!

Snow Miser
09-27-2009, 07:30 PM
That's good that they are running them at various times to accommodate viewers' schedules. I just checked the PBS website and it appears that down here in the Philly area, our local stations are airing new episodes at 8pm each day. Thanks for mentioning that they are airing earlier in our places. And I did also noticed that the episodes will be available online too.

Okay, the popcorn is a popping, and we're ready for showtime down here.:D

CHRIS
09-30-2009, 09:59 AM
I just got done watch another episode and they were talking about Acadia National park and the person said that the French meaning for Acadia is "Heaven on Earth". Boy isn't that the truth.I am really enjoying the shows.

Snow Miser
09-30-2009, 10:13 AM
Chris, I saw the episode on Acadia too last night, and that name is perfect. I'm really enjoying the series too.

On a side note, I am amazed at how hardy those people were. I saw women climbing ladders in dress shoes and dresses, and the men hikng in wool, leather or I guess cotton. It's all they had I suppose. These days we're really spoiled with all our sythentic fabrics and the like.

CHRIS
09-30-2009, 10:35 AM
You know I was thinking the same when I seen it. But as you said that was all they had.I know now that I have been watching that John Muir was one hell of a guy.Very dedicated. He also had one very understanding wife.

Brad
09-30-2009, 06:13 PM
You know I was thinking the same when I seen it. But as you said that was all they had.I know now that I have been watching that John Muir was one hell of a guy.Very dedicated. He also had one very understanding wife.
I want to learn more about Muir because of this series. He was quite a man.

mtruman
10-01-2009, 06:38 AM
Acadia is indeed Heaven on Earth! This is just a wonderful series so far. I've read a lot on John Muir but learned many new things from the first two episodes. The Tuesday episode with McKinley and Brad&Barbara Washburn brought things back home to New England as well. Was amazing seeing the interview clips with Brad Washburn and realizing that he was 96 or 97 when they were done. Quite a man! I had just last week finished reading the book on McKinley by Washburn and Dave Roberts and the episode really brought some of the stories to life. Great stuff.

Gorque
10-01-2009, 07:56 AM
Having just been back to Acadia for the first time in about 20 years this past July, my wife and I watched the portion on Acadia with keen interest. What I found interesting was the level of involvement Mr. Rockefeller had in the development to the road system within the park.

CHRIS
10-01-2009, 08:21 AM
I found it very interesting of how much time and his own money Mr. Rockefeller put into alot of the national parks. Last night it said he put up 5 million dollars of his own money for the Smokies, more than 1.5 milion for the Tetons and more. Now I do believe that is a very generous man. I hope that this series comes out in dvd so I can pick it up becuase there was a few times I realized my eyes were shut for a while.

brosati
10-02-2009, 03:02 PM
What a series! Makes me want to get over my fear of flying and visit these wonderful places! Been to Arcadia many many years ago. Might have to get back there some day.
B

Snow Miser
10-03-2009, 08:32 AM
I just watched the last episode last night, and I have to say that they were all.....Excellent! Everyone involved in producing them did a fantastic job. Thanks Kirk for letting us know they were airing.

Bill O
10-03-2009, 06:53 PM
I just caught the end of an episode...very good. I also learned something about my hometown I never knew. Many landmarks in my town are named "Stephen Mather." Mather High School (now the town hall). Mather Meadows, Stephen Mather Road, etc. I always wondered who he was. It turns out Stephen Mather helped create the national park system, and his house is a National Historic Landmark.

Brad
10-03-2009, 06:58 PM
We just watched the last show of the series and WOW! I loved it. Certainly learned a lot about our Parks.