PDA

View Full Version : Looking for easier hike

Addicted
09-16-2009, 01:11 PM
Looking for a nice foliage hike to take my post c-section friend along on in October. She's done Mt Major and looking for something similar, not too long or strenuous, as she hasn't been able to do much since having her baby. I can think of a dozen places, but thought I'd see what you guys came up with. Any help is appreciated as always!

Also, did Eisenhower and Monroe for Flags on the 48! Great day, no views though. Guess that means I'm forced to go back to Monroe when there is a view! Frustrating to know what was there that I couldn't see!!

KD Talbot
09-16-2009, 04:19 PM
A nice, easy 3 mile loop with great views is the Little River Sugarloafs off of Zealand Rd. which is off of Rte.302 at the western end of Crawford Notch.

Another good one would be the Welch/Dickey Loop off of Rte. 49 near Waterville Valley.

http://ghostflowers.smugmug.com/White-Mountain-Hikes/WelchDickey-101308/6271217_udqA6#395720740_L2nHK

KDT

JimS
09-16-2009, 08:19 PM
The rattlesnakes on the northern shoreline of squam are really nice too!

Tim&Val
09-16-2009, 09:26 PM
I agree with Kevin and Jim! If you do "the Rattlesnakes" as in "both East and West", you'll probably have East to yourselves. We almost always do.

Hedgehog Mtn is a great shoulder-season hike. The other Sugarloaves just outside of Bristol (near Newfound Lake) are also great.

Valerie

KSearl
09-18-2009, 12:48 PM
Hedgehog is a nice suggestion and great views. I have also heard, Potash next door is nice as well.

I would absolutely recommend Willard up in the Crawford Notch, definitely for foliage season. You will get a view of the complete Notch from the summit. Also, most of the trail is an easy grade and since the trail is mostly an old carriage road, it is not very hard terrain at all. We went up two weekends ago, and we actually saw a lady who must have been at least 8mo pregnant at the top who hiked it.

Good luck,
Karl

mtruman
09-18-2009, 06:08 PM
Last Fall we did Morgan and Percival which are right across from the Rattlesnakes. A little longer hike with some beautiful views from the ridge and both summits across the lake.

Cardigan is also wonderful in the fall. Lots of open ledge walking with views across the foliage in the valley.

I second the opinion on Willard as well. This has the be the best view for the least effort almost anywhere in the Whites (if you're going to hike as opposed to just driving around :rolleyes:).