PDA

View Full Version : NH Mt Lion Sighting

Brad
09-18-2009, 03:48 PM
Mark Ellingwood: 603-271-2461
Jane Vachon: 603-271-3211
September 18, 2009

POSSIBLE MOUNTAIN LION SIGHTING IN NEW HAMPSHIRE

CONCORD, N.H. -- The New Hampshire Fish and Game Department today reported that one of its staff members, following up on a routine report of a mountain lion sighting, saw what is believed to be a mountain lion in a rural area of Barnstead, N.H.

Mountain lions are known to exist in the wild in states no closer than Iowa and Florida, so it is not thought to be a dispersing wild animal, but rather is most likely an illegally released pet.

"Survival of this type of animal is typically extremely low as they normally do not have the developed abilities to catch prey on a consistent basis, and/or may have been de-clawed," said Fish and Game Wildlife Division Chief Steve Weber. "If the animal does survive, we would expect to collect hard evidence of its existence in the form of a picture, tracks, scat and/or DNA evidence."

Mountain lions were extirpated from their range in the Eastern United States by the late 1800s, with the exception of the endangered Florida panther. According to the nonprofit research organization cougarnet.org, there have been four confirmed reports of mountain lions in the Northeastern U.S. since 1938.

"The Fish and Game Department receives numerous reports of mountain lions every year," said Weber. "We still have no documentation to confirm their presence. While we do not believe this is a harbinger of a recovering population of mountain lions in New Hampshire, it does add one more credible report to several others we have received over the years."

- ### -

--
Copyright 2009 New Hampshire Fish and Game Department, 11 Hazen Drive, Concord, NH 03301. Comments or questions concerning this list should be directed to jane.vachon@wildlife.nh.gov.

Snow Miser
09-18-2009, 04:38 PM
Very good news clip. I suppose caution should be exercised, because if it's not a released pet, it would have all of it's wild hunting instincts. And I would hate to be on a trail one day and be tackled from behind by one of them.

spyboy
09-18-2009, 07:38 PM
A friend of mine is in East Hampstead, NH and she was telling me she was in the woods a few weeks ago and saw one. She said it was smooth fur, tan, with a big thick tail that curved up at the tip and was black.

Now there's another sighting near where she lives.

Interesting...

Kirk

donnellyvj
09-18-2009, 11:23 PM
This is most likely a case of a released pet. Someone bit off more than they could chew. Unfortunatley the poor animal has to suffer this winter when it can't provide for itself. I studied cases like this in college and it happens way to often.

Snow Miser
09-19-2009, 08:26 AM
This is most likely a case of a released pet. Someone bit off more than they could chew. Unfortunatley the poor animal has to suffer this winter when it can't provide for itself. I studied cases like this in college and it happens way to often.

If it is a released pet, hopefully they can capture it unharmed and send it to a zoo somewhere so it can live comfortably it captivity.

Bill O
09-19-2009, 05:11 PM
Life would be a lot more exciting if mountain lions were re-introduced into this region. Even more so if they were re-introduced into Fairfield County, Connecticut.

donnellyvj
09-20-2009, 06:55 PM
I do Agree!

MOAB149
10-11-2009, 10:56 AM
Several years ago, while still employed in law enforcement (read trained observer), my son, cousin and I were out hiking a logging road in Clinton County, near Hammersley Fork, PA. A Mountain Lion leaped from the embankment, onto the logging road and for the next 30 seconds to a minute, nose down, circled a spot on the road. It was totally unaware of us standing there approximately 200 feet away. It looked just like the Nittany Lion of PSU fame complete with a tail as long as its body. All three of us saw it and agreed what we saw was a Mountain Lion.

I reported the sighting to the Forest Ranger at Kettlecreek State Park. I was politely informed I was mistaken, what I had seen was a Bobcat. Well, I have photographed Bobcats and this was no Bobcat. And, it was not a feral cat. It was a Mountain Lion. There is no doubt in my mind they are making a come back, at least here in PA. For some reason, possibly to avoid a political state vs. feds turf war, they continue to deny the existence of Mountain Lions here in PA.

I guess that makes our sighting the fifth confirmed Mountain Lion sighting in the Northeastern United States since 1938.

Snow Miser
10-12-2009, 08:36 PM
I believe they are here too. Just look at all the other animals that have made huge come backs in recent years.

whitemtnvisitor
10-13-2009, 08:36 AM
Life would be a lot more exciting if mountain lions were re-introduced into this region. Even more so if they were re-introduced into Fairfield County, Connecticut.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That wouldn't last long. They freak out now about bears & have them quickly captured & then released in Litchfield, County.

Snow Miser
10-13-2009, 10:40 AM
I'm not so sure it would be good for mountain lions to be reintroduced. I may be wrong but, I have heard that if one is going to attack let's say a hiking group, they will choose the smallest person. This relates to the topic here of hiking with small children. Just imagine hiking down a trail and from behind a lion grabs a 6 year and drags him/her into the woods faster than anyone could chase it. Since I don't know of any hiker that carries a gun to fight off an attack, that would be a terrible thing to happen.

Anna LeBlanc
10-13-2009, 01:52 PM
I'm not so sure it would be good for mountain lions to be reintroduced. I may be wrong but, I have heard that if one is going to attack let's say a hiking group, they will choose the smallest person. This relates to the topic here of hiking with small children. Just imagine hiking down a trail and from behind a lion grabs a 6 year and drags him/her into the woods faster than anyone could chase it. Since I don't know of any hiker that carries a gun to fight off an attack, that would be a terrible thing to happen.

I agree with you Bob.I don't think it would be a good idea.Not only for people hiking with small children;but for all of us who also hike with our dogs.Particularly those who do not keep them on a leash.:eek:
Anna

KathyC
10-13-2009, 09:04 PM
I heard the same story here in Jersey, I am wondering if it could be one of those urban legend type rumors..

MelNino
10-14-2009, 08:31 PM
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That wouldn't last long. They freak out now about bears & have them quickly captured & then released in Litchfield, County.

They also freak out about bobcats in southern CT, ha!

I'd love to see wild mountain lions, and I wouldn't mind if they returned.

whitemtnvisitor
10-15-2009, 10:15 PM
MelNino

That's funny about the bobcats. I know what you're saying. I would have no problem with the reintroduction of certain species in CT. I know a number of people who used to really enjoyed the occasional visits from the local bears. Now that they live in an area that has become a "dumping ground" for relocated bears, they now have a bear nuisance problem. I also have a friend who knows the difference between bobcats & mountain lions & he saw one while mountain biking although the official word is that there are none in CT.

MelNino
10-16-2009, 01:14 PM
THe bobcat incident I'm thinking of was a few years ago....a bobcat was just chillin' in the backyard in *souther CT town.* The owner of said backyard thought it was cool, and took vidoes for his kids, but the neighbors flipped put and called the cops to shoot the "mountain lion." I'm pretty sure the cat wandered off.

Haven't seen any bears, but my bf saw one at his office. No harm done, and the bear hasn't been seen since.

Anna LeBlanc
10-17-2009, 03:58 PM
THe bobcat incident I'm thinking of was a few years ago....a bobcat was just chillin' in the backyard in *souther CT town.* The owner of said backyard thought it was cool, and took vidoes for his kids, but the neighbors flipped put and called the cops to shoot the "mountain lion." I'm pretty sure the cat wandered off.

Haven't seen any bears, but my bf saw one at his office. No harm done, and the bear hasn't been seen since.

Patients of mine who live in Brooklyn,CT.came in today. They told me they have had a Mama bobcat and her cub in the woods behind there house since Springtime.

They also said about 150ft.into the woods beyond their property boundry the land drops off steeply with many rock outcroppings and large crevices that could be used as dens.They themselves have not seen any mountain lions but the previous caretaker of the property told them he has in the past and some of their neighbors have also.

So don't let anybody mislead you.They are out there.