PDA

View Full Version : Photo recomndations

CHRIS
10-01-2009, 02:23 PM
My wife and I are hopefully heading North for a day maybe two on Columbus day weekend (weather permitting) and I was wondering if anybody can recomend any places in the whites that they have found good shooting at. I planned a trip down the Kang.,Franconia and Crawford Notches and possibly Evans notch.Maybe even if clear and open The summit of M/W. Not looking to do much if any hiking as that would take to much time and I want to get as much as I can. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Anna LeBlanc
10-01-2009, 03:06 PM
Chris,I know you said you weren't planning to do much hiking but what about a quick trip up the Old Bridle Path Trail up West Rattlesnake Mt. overlooking Squam Lake?
The whole trip would probably take an hour and you should be able to get some great shots of the lake from the ledges.:)

MOAB149
10-01-2009, 07:12 PM
Several nice spots to shoot the falls. Take the lower trail (yellow flashes I think) either on your way up to the main falls or on the way back. We saw a bull moose during our hike up to the falls.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w260/tomcatterf14/2009%20White%20Mountains%20Hike/arathusafallsIMG_0307.jpg
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w260/tomcatterf14/2009%20White%20Mountains%20Hike/arathusafallsIMG_0304.jpg
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w260/tomcatterf14/2009%20White%20Mountains%20Hike/arathusafallsIMG_0306OLZ.jpg

JimS
10-01-2009, 07:38 PM
I would stick to the overlooks, short hikes with great views...
Black Cap
Square Ledge
Cathedral Ledge
Artist's Bluff (franconia)
Elephant Head (crawford)
Blueberry Mountain (evans)

And if you've never stopped there...the Basin Pond in evans notch can't be missed!

Also, don't rule out the Tamworth/Wonalancet area...scenic, and not as crowded!

Hope that helps!

Jim

claaky23
10-01-2009, 09:22 PM
I noticed this past weekend that its almost too late for a lot in the Pemi if you are looking for foliage, maybe somewhere a bit more south in the sandwich range would be better.

CHRIS
10-02-2009, 06:47 AM
Thanks everybody for your help. I printed all these suggestion and I am going to be marking the map this weekend. Hopefully I will still be able to get some good colors.

Snow Miser
10-02-2009, 06:53 AM
I noticed this past weekend that its almost too late for a lot in the Pemi if you are looking for foliage, maybe somewhere a bit more south in the sandwich range would be better.

A few of us are coming up next Sunday to do Garfield and were hoping for a bit of color in the Pemi. But hey, brown is a nice color too.

Chris, I hope you two can find some nice color when you're up here.

novascroller
10-02-2009, 11:55 AM
a quick hike up Mt Willard would provide a very nice photo op this time of year.

CHRIS
10-06-2009, 03:39 PM
Just a note. Do not wait till last minute to find lodging especially on a holiday weekend and for only one night :rolleyes:DUH!!! Finally found a place in Waterville Valley Snowy Owl Inn and Resort and they let me have it for only one nite. Wanted to be around North Conway but could not stay three nites. Only had sitter for one. I would have stayed in my tent but when I mentioned the forcast my wife her eyes said it all :eek: GULP. But hey I got a room with a jacuzzi :D.

Snow Miser
10-06-2009, 04:43 PM
Chris, I know what you mean about booking a motel a little too late. We're coming up this weekend also and I started phoning around about two weeks ago. Everything was pretty much booked solid. Finally got a place up in Jefferson for two nights. Many places did have the three night minimum.

Have a great trip and enjoy the leaves. Right now it looks like the weather should be okay.

CHRIS
10-06-2009, 07:14 PM
Tell me about it. Everywhere I called was 2-3 nite minimum. I thought we were going to end up doing a day trip but my wife found Snowy Owl inn and they said fine for one nite. Albeit it 204.00 but we needed a getaway. So it was worth it. Hope you have a safe drive and a great time.

KathyC
10-06-2009, 07:19 PM
We booked our room in No. Conway months ago, but we're going on the 17th. Busy, but not as busy at this coming weekend.

Snow Miser
10-06-2009, 07:37 PM
We booked our room in No. Conway months ago, but we're going on the 17th. Busy, but not as busy at this coming weekend.

Now that's thinking ahead. Hope you have a great trip too.:)

CHRIS
10-06-2009, 08:36 PM
Ditto on the great tip to Kathy. Unfortunatley this was kinda a spontaneus trip. we both needed a getaway. Lots of stuff going on in our lives that we did not plan on.

KathyC
10-07-2009, 05:10 AM
Sometimes spontaneus trips are the best, I'm sure that you'll have a great time. There is plenty to see and do.

I was thinking that maybe a few folks could glue some of the leaves on to the trees so some will still be there when I get there....:D

Snow Miser
10-07-2009, 07:44 AM
Sometimes spontaneus trips are the best, I'm sure that you'll have a great time. There is plenty to see and do.

I was thinking that maybe a few folks could glue some of the leaves on to the trees so some will still be there when I get there....:D

I've got the Elmer's glue packed in my backpack. I'll see how many I can reattach to the branches for you.:D:D:D

Brad
10-07-2009, 09:27 PM
On the western side of Bridgton, Maine on route 302 are 3 motels. I have not seen any "no vacancy" signs on them. When we drove by a few minutes ago a couple of them had plenty of open parking slots out front. If someone is looking for a place near the mts, these could be a good choice.

Highland Lake Resort
http://www.highlandlakeresort.com/

Landmark Motel
Owned by Landmark Inn owners
207-647-2000

Pleasant Mt Inn
http://www.pleasantmountaininn.com/

KathyC
10-08-2009, 05:16 PM
I've got the Elmer's glue packed in my backpack. I'll see how many I can reattach to the branches for you.:D:D:D

Somehow I don't think the Elmers will cut it, maybe try crazy or cement glue....:D:D