PDA

View Full Version : 1st timer here.

ski41
10-02-2009, 01:11 AM
Hi everyone. I just regestered, it's my first time posting and I thought I'd say hello.. Now, as expected. I do have a question or two. Because of prior commitments, I'm way too busy to do much hiking or much outdoor activities this fall. but the winter and spring is comming up. Anyway, to my question. I am "thinking" of planning a trip next summer to climb Mt. Washington. Where can I find any info about this? besides reading here , which I plan on doing. Also. what route would be the easiest? and on average, how long (in hours) does it take to climb and decend? I am physicaly in pretty good shape. mentally sometimes that is questionable....

Any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated.
I'm sure I'll think of more questions later.
Thanks.

Snow Miser
10-02-2009, 10:14 AM
Welcome ski41! Some ideas I can think of besides asking questions here would be to check this site http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/ . It describes the trial options, times, etc. All the routes up are challenging, but if you're in shape and properly prepared, you can do it.

Another option is to pickup a copy of the AMC White Mountain Guide. It covers the entire White Mountains, but explains alot about Mt Washington. I recently bought my first copy, and it is excellent. You may find after hiking Mt Washington, you will want to try to make it back to do some of the other mountains.

Also, you may consider joining the Observatory before doing your hike. If you do, then when you get to the summit, you can take a tour which is very nice to do.

Good luck!

Addicted
10-02-2009, 12:34 PM
Welcome to the forum. I get all my good hiking advise from the members on this site. I have a couple of good books and maps because I like to be well prepared as far as knowing the route and the distance. We did Tuckerman Ravine in August of last year, and it was great! The scenery (on a lucky day) is amazing and it's really broken up into three parts, so you're not left wondering 'how far in are we??'. It took us 11 hours, but we had some post injury and non experienced people with us, so it took a lot longer than it should. If you've never done it, you'll wanna include time to take in the sites as well. We did a lot of stopping in awe and just soaking it in. Just hit the trailhead by 7 and you'll have plenty of time. Up Tuckerman's and down Lions head is a good route (unless you have bad knees like me!). I hear going up the Ammonusic Ravine trail is great too, but I've only come down it. Trust the people on this site though, they know what the speak of!

Anna LeBlanc
10-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Welcome to the forums ski41,
I agree with SnowMiser.Get yourself a copy of the AMC White Mountains Guide.Loads of good info inside.I would also say it's much easier to ascend up Ammonusuc not as much fun descending especially when wet.Tuckermans is always a good bet as is Lion's Head.Stay away from the Huntington Ravine Trail until you really feel comfortable on steep open ledge sections.And please do join the Observatory.They are an incredible group of very hard-working dedicated people.Once again welcome!:)

claaky23
10-02-2009, 02:55 PM
If you plan on making hiking a hobby then definitely by the AMC guide. Its a steal anyway with all the maps you get in it. If you are doing a one shot deal then the Elozzy website is great for a trip up Washington. I would recommend though that you buy a map anyway, even if you are going up one trail and down another. The summit cone is a horrible place to get lost sometimes as you would see if you read "Not Without Peril"

For routes I think Tuckerman is the easiest mentally. Lionhead is NOT a mentally easy hike because you don't know how close you are and when you get above treeline all you see is a huge pile of rocks in front of you stretching way into the sky. Boott spur is like Lion'shead but much longer. I have never done the Ammo or the Jewell, but I will be doing the Ammo next June.

ski41
10-05-2009, 10:20 PM
Thanks for all the info. I realy appreciate it.. I'm sure I'll be asking more questions in the future..

Thanks
Francy

ski41
10-07-2009, 03:20 AM
Thanks everyone for the info.. it is greatly apreceated. I'm sure I'll be asking more questions in the future.

Again, Thanks.
Francy

Brad
10-07-2009, 06:39 AM
Ski41, welcome and ask plenty of questions and search through these forum posts to see what you can find. We have a bunch of different skill levels represented here and various opinions and experience. Take what you hear and fit it into something that you are comfortable with.

I have taken first time MW hiker friends up Lions Head - summit and then down Tuckerman Ravine Headwall. But, I only do this route for folks who are in very good shape. I love the route for the quick up above treeline and the views. Other first timers I have taken then up the Ammo - summit - then down the Jewell. It is a bit longer but a lot less steep. In either case, you have to watch the weather as you are exposed above treeline for a long time.

try.athlete
10-12-2009, 10:39 AM
Hi, all--I'm heading to your amazing state and mountains this Friday. My hope is to climb Mt Washington either Saturday or Sunday this weekend (depending on which is the better weather day). I live in Colorado and have some experience with winter conditions on 14ers (winds, snow, ice, long day, high altitude).

What I'd like to know is what to expect that I wouldn't get here in the winter. From what I've read, it doesn't look like technical winter gear (crampons, axe, etc) is required, but a good wind jacket and goggles are! Anything else I should think about bringing?

Thanks for any advice and warnings.