PDA

View Full Version : Mount Willard Trip Report 09-05-09

KSearl
10-03-2009, 08:01 PM
Hi Everyone,

Here's another one. We climbed Mount Willard on September 5th. Again, I had it published on HikeNewEngland.com. If you have a moment, please take a look.

http://www.hikenewengland.com/WillardHitchcockFlumeNH090905.html

It was probably one of my favorite hikes and we had the best weather.

Thanks,
Karl

mtruman
10-03-2009, 10:23 PM
Mt Willard is probably one of the best views for minimal effort in the Whites. Great winter snowshoe hike too. I was very interested to see you description of getting to Hitchcock Flume. We've tried it several times and have given up when the trail totally disappears. Have seen other threads on multiple forums with varying opinions on how to get to it. Yours seems the most clear. Will give it another try next time up!

KSearl
10-04-2009, 09:06 AM
I agree, it has great views for the effort. The views of Webster and Willey really make you want to tackle those summits too.

We just got snow shoes last year and haven't hiked a mountain in them yet...we have just done level trail hiking. We want to start off this year small, so I think we are going to hike Mt. Major with the shoes first. But you have me thinking now, the grades on Willard are so moderate, maybe it is a better option for a first snow shoeing trip with elevation gain.

Regarding Hitchcock Flume, I did the same thing you did and it is so frustrating. I didn't include it in the original trip report that I submitted because I couldn't follow the spur after the first 20 yards or so. The webmaster from HikeNewEngland.com was concerned because if it wasn't included, it would mean that the spur may be gone for good. So she actually took the time, hiked up there the weekend after I submitted the report and retraced the trail and found the Hitchcock Flume...which I thought was great. So she added the Hitchcock Flume option at the beginning of the report so people do know it still exists, but it is noted in my actual report that I couldn't actually locate the whole spur trail due to tree growth. I'm glad she took the time to do that because it certainly gives me motivation to go back up next year and find that trail.

1HappyHiker
10-04-2009, 10:00 AM
A truly excellent report!

And like Mark, I also was delighted to see that you included the ?Hitchcock Flume Option? in your report.

Snow Miser
10-04-2009, 04:29 PM
Very nice TR and photos. That view down Crawford Notch is just great. Thanks for sharing.

Anna LeBlanc
10-04-2009, 04:53 PM
Thanks for a great trip report and photos.It's a hike we've done several times and will usually tell new hikers to make it one of their first hikes.Incredible views for such an easy hike and mostly out of the weather on a bad day until you get to the ledges.

Addicted
10-05-2009, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the TR. We are planning on going up there this month for a nice easy trip for my wussy friends and I just keep hearing good things about it!