PDA

View Full Version : MT Adams

Uncas
10-05-2009, 09:41 AM
Can someone let me know around what month or time of year crampons become necessary for Mt Adams. Also is an ice axe needed or recommended for the Lowes trail?

Knapper
10-05-2009, 03:12 PM
I start packing my crampons for the summits starting this month (October) as we can get some pretty good dumpings of snow and thick rime/glaze ice above treeline this time of year. Sure it might only be the top 1000 feet or so of Adams that you might need them but it is always good to have them just in case. By November of a normal year, they should be packed with you as the higher peaks start to fill in and become icy. An ice ax for October is a bit of overkill unless you read the higher summits forecast and see that several inches have fallen recently. It isn't until Nov. that I start bringing mine up to work on a regular basis.

FisherCat
10-05-2009, 03:30 PM
You will find this link quite helpful. They do give equipment advisories based on what they generally observe. They will begin posting the info in November, but until then its worth saving. (Plus, the Gray Knob caretaker journals are always good readin'!)

http://www.randolphmountainclub.org/sheltersinfo/weatherconditions.html

Uncas
10-05-2009, 03:40 PM
Sorry I should of mentioned, we are planning mid november Mt Adams. I figured the crampons would be needed but was wondering since my only pair is from 1984 with leather straps...Heavy but they still work great. That link is great.