PDA

View Full Version : meet Richard

forestgnome
10-05-2009, 09:18 PM
This a very healthy looking yearling bull. Picture was taken this afternoon just before dusk and just after a breif shower. I've been seeing this moose for a few weeks now and he has gotten to know me. Today he came right up to me as I sat in the tall grass. I named him Richard.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l190/forestgnome/IMG_4892copy2.jpg

Brad
10-05-2009, 09:29 PM
Sir Richard, meet Dances with Moose.

KathyC
10-06-2009, 05:09 AM
Wow, a pet moose. You're not afraid of him when he comes close or that maybe he mom is around?

Great picture....

JimS
10-06-2009, 05:12 AM
Wow...what a shot! After my bear encounter this weekend...I really have an appreciation for what you do!

Bretton Woods Brat
10-06-2009, 06:40 AM
Well, hello Richard... :)

CHRIS
10-06-2009, 06:57 AM
So cool. Excellent shot, thanks for sharing.

forestgnome
10-06-2009, 07:14 AM
Thanks, all. I feel extra blessed with that encounter.

Wow, a pet moose. You're not afraid of him when he comes close or that maybe he mom is around?

Great picture....

Thanks! He's a yearling and the vast majority of yearlings are now on their own. Most are sent off by mama in the springtime after living with her through their first year. Also, I've observed him at length five times now so I know positively that he's alone. This picture came an hour after I first spotted him.

Snow Miser
10-06-2009, 07:49 AM
Wow, that's awesome! He looks very curious about you being there. I'm sure you will be seeing more of him.

KathyC
10-08-2009, 05:06 AM
I can't stop looking at this picture, it's just so perfect and amazing.

mtruman
10-08-2009, 07:20 AM
Richard is quite the handsome young lad! This is just another amazing shot. You can almost see the trust in his eyes.

Snow Miser
10-08-2009, 07:52 AM
You can almost see the trust in his eyes.

Like Richard is saying to Patrick, "Papa, Papa, is that you"?:D

Anna LeBlanc
10-08-2009, 08:16 AM
What a truly beautiful picture Patrick.I think it's one of my favorites of all the ones of yours that I've seen.

Bob,as long as he's saying Papa,Papa,Papa and not Mama,Mama,Mama I think Patrick will be O.K.:D:D:D

Snow Miser
10-08-2009, 09:07 AM
Like Richard is saying to Patrick, "Papa, Papa, is that you"?:D

Just kidding around Patrick.:) But the moose just seem to really like you!

forestgnome
10-08-2009, 09:51 PM
Thanks very much...appreciate the feedback...

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l190/forestgnome/IMG_4896aaa.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l190/forestgnome/IMG_4885aaa.jpg

KathyC
10-09-2009, 05:06 AM
This might be a really dumb question, but would you ever consider to reach out to pet him?

I had to ask....:rolleyes:

KathyC
10-09-2009, 07:11 AM
What a truly beautiful picture Patrick.I think it's one of my favorites of all the ones of yours that I've seen.

Bob,as long as he's saying Papa,Papa,Papa and not Mama,Mama,Mama I think Patrick will be O.K.:D:D:D

Or Worse...............Honey, I've been looking for you.......:eek::D:D

Anna LeBlanc
10-09-2009, 08:05 AM
More great pictures Patrick.I'd love to meet Richard someday.Maybe you could arrange a meeting?;)

Kathy,you've got a great sense of humor.Even if you are a Yankees fan.:p

Snow Miser
10-09-2009, 08:20 AM
Yes, more great photos Patrick! The second one does show he is very curious as to who/what are.

Snow Miser
10-09-2009, 09:04 AM
More great pictures Patrick.I'd love to meet Richard someday.Maybe you could arrange a meeting?;)

I'd love to meet him someday too.;):D

1HappyHiker
10-10-2009, 09:00 AM
Patrick, you are a very gifted photographer in so many areas, i.e. landscapes, close-ups, etc. However, you really excel when it comes to wildlife photography, especially moose.

Perhaps you could come up with a unique term to market your skills. You know, maybe you could mesh the word photographer with the scientific name for moose (Alces alces) and come up with something like "Alcesographer"?!:D

All kidding aside, I'm curious if there are particular physical characteristics that you use to positively identify a particular moose as being the SAME moose that you had seen previously? My hunch is that it is most likely a combination of characteristics, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Brad
10-10-2009, 06:27 PM
He knows by how they rub against his shoulder.

forestgnome
10-13-2009, 09:21 PM
All kidding aside, I'm curious if there are particular physical characteristics that you use to positively identify a particular moose as being the SAME moose that you had seen previously? My hunch is that it is most likely a combination of characteristics, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

John, thanks very much. Awesome image from Moose Pond, BTW!

I'll see a moose in the same range, same size, same shape,gender, etc.

Kezossa's mom has a crutaneous fibroma on the right side of her neck. Big Daddy has a v-shaped battle notch taken out of the back side of his right ear and his antlers are very distinctive. They grow back the same way each season.

Here's Richard, on Saturday just after sunrise. He's a yearling bull and his antlers are distinctive, to say the least. His antlers, of corse, will be larger over the next few seasons, but from last week until now they are easy to ID. He's only a mile from where I saw him last time.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l190/forestgnome/IMG_4951aaa.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l190/forestgnome/IMG_4983aaa.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l190/forestgnome/IMG_4971aaa.jpg

KD Talbot
10-13-2009, 09:53 PM
Outstanding as always! Thanks!

KDT

KathyC
10-14-2009, 05:03 AM
Those are incredible.

CHRIS
10-14-2009, 06:46 AM
Great shots. I love the last one it reminds me of an old cowboy standing there chewing on a piece of grass. Outstandting shots.

Snow Miser
10-14-2009, 07:48 AM
Very nice photos Patrick. Thanks!

Rich
10-14-2009, 01:15 PM
Excellent shots and thanks...I'm honored!

Anna LeBlanc
10-14-2009, 03:51 PM
Parick,if I ever get a picture of a moose 1/2 as good as yours I'll be lucky. Your pictures are breathtaking.Oh,and I think I'm in "moose love" with Richard.;)

forestgnome
11-08-2009, 06:13 PM
Yaaaaaay!!!! He made it!

He was at higher ground today, hanging out with Champney. It was great to see both of them today. Champney is also a young bull, maybe fourish? They were hanging together around 2,000', safe from hunters, browsing away, fattening up for the winter.

Richard...

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l190/forestgnome/5319aaa.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l190/forestgnome/IMG_5286aaa.jpg

Champney...

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l190/forestgnome/IMG_5330aaa.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l190/forestgnome/IMG_5245aaa.jpg

happy trails :)

Charlie
11-08-2009, 06:48 PM
very very nice again

Snow Miser
11-08-2009, 07:08 PM
Very nice Patrick! If hunting season is still underway, hopefully they stay high up the mountains.

Brad
11-08-2009, 09:04 PM
Staggering pictures!

CHRIS
11-09-2009, 06:50 AM
Incredable shots as usual Patrick. They both look very healthy. Hopefully no hunters will find them.

mtruman
11-09-2009, 08:00 AM
These guys look like they're doing very well indeed. Glad to see that they've made it through OK. The new pictures are wonderful - particularly the one of him peeking around the tree. Just amazing...

Anna LeBlanc
11-09-2009, 08:03 AM
Thank you Patrick for those beautiful pictures.I'm so glad to see Richard and Champney are doing well.And may they have many more healthy years ahead of them.:)

Anna

Jimmy Legs and Little d
11-09-2009, 01:37 PM
Great shots, Patrick. The close up ones are amazing. You have a gift.

Donna:)

forestgnome
11-09-2009, 07:08 PM
Thanks, folks! The hunt is over; it ended two weeks ago. Now it's great to see any moose, especially those I recognize. It's kinda cool.

Charlie
11-09-2009, 09:43 PM
Thanks, folks! The hunt is over; it ended two weeks ago. Now it's great to see any moose, especially those I recognize. It's kinda cool.

are there a lot of moose taken during hunting time
it must be a nice feeling to see your moose after hunting time :D

Anna LeBlanc
11-09-2009, 10:08 PM

Patrick,

I was wondering if you saw Kezossa and his mom while you were up there.Any sightings of them at all?

Thanks again for the pictures and I'm so glad hunting season is OVER :D

Anna

forestgnome
11-11-2009, 05:58 AM
Statewide, 341 moose were taken from us.

I haven't yet seen Kezossa and his mama. It will be nice when I do :)

CHRIS
11-12-2009, 07:49 AM
That is so sad:(. That is 341 way to many.

Snow Miser
11-12-2009, 07:56 AM

That is sad. I work with a guy down here in PA who lives in Ontario. He just got back from hunting up there with his friends and he said they bagged a young moose. It was tough to hear him talk about it. I didn't let on about how I felt about it since I try to respect his right to hunt since it is legal.

Anna LeBlanc
11-12-2009, 12:42 PM

I'm with you Chris.As far as I'm concerned ONE is too many!!!:( I don't know how anyone could look something so beautiful in the eye and then kill it.

Anna

Snow Miser
11-12-2009, 01:26 PM
I'm with you Chris.As far as I'm concerned ONE is too many!!!:( I don't know how anyone could look something so beautiful in the eye and then kill it.

Anna

Chris/Anna, I too wonder how they can do it, but they do.:(

Charlie
11-12-2009, 06:58 PM
sorry to talk about the bad things with moose but not to take this thread away from the very nice pictures that Patrick shares with us

do they do moose hunting for the same reasons the do deer hunting to keep there #s under control and they say they will die in the winter because there is not enough food .

i for one dont see the sport in hunting moose when one can get so close to them not like a deer

Snow Miser
11-12-2009, 07:48 PM
The guy I work with does it for the meat and sport of it. And I do realize that the numbers of moose and deer have to be maintain at certain levels so they don't starve, etc.

The deer populations around here have gotten so bad that there is yearly hunts in many of the state and county parks. There is a township park by me that is probably about 50 - 60 acres of open space, and I recently counted 10 buck and 40 doe. It's an old Air Force base and it's neat to be there at dusk because they all come out of the woods and onto the runway to eat the grasses. Many of them I can almost walk up to and pet.

Steve M
11-13-2009, 08:30 AM
I don't want to sound mean when I say this because I respect everyone's feelings but if people are hunting to put meat on the table and it helps curb the cost of food for their family then I say fine, that's what animals were created for. If someone is hunting for the purpose to brag that they have the largest set of antlers on the wall, that is where I draw the line. All animals are beautiful to look at and enjoy yet they have a purpose and many times it is to feed us. We should have respect for and act responsibly for all animals.

CHRIS
11-13-2009, 01:47 PM
I do agree with you on that Steve. If a person needs to hunt to provide food for his family then I am cool with that. I may not like it but a mans family comes first. But if they are hunting just to hang it on a wall Absolutley not. I am not into that. I know everybody has there own thing and power to them I just cannot bring myself to go out there and kill one of God's creatures. But if my family had to eat, well then that would be a different thing. I might not like doing it but I would do what I had to do to provide.

On a side note I want to apoligize to Patrick for Hijacking your thread. Love your pics. please keep them coming.

Snow Miser
11-13-2009, 04:33 PM
On a side note I want to apoligize to Patrick for Hijacking your thread. Love your pics. please keep them coming.

Patrick, I apoligize too. I think I also helped steer your thread away from the main topic.

KathyC
11-14-2009, 08:19 AM
I agree with everyone here, it absolutely breaks my heart when animals are killed for fun of it. My brother hunts and I always pray he doesn't catch anything. He has a deer head on his living room wall and at Christmas puts a santa hat on it, it makes me so angry because they it's funny and cute and laugh at me because I get so upset. He tries to get me to try the meat, but no way.

One time I came home from a trip and he was bleeding a deer in my Moms garage, I almost passed out. I sat and cried, we had a huge arguement over it.

There are alot of things that I boycot because of animal cruelty, I would not give a dime. A lot of people just don't care.:(

I'm sorry Patrick, but I've been too busy this past week to post and I had my two cents. I'm thrilled that Richard is safe, he's beautful, they are all beautiful and your pictures always show us just what a gift they are to us.............Thank you so much for that.......:)

Steve M
11-14-2009, 09:46 AM
Im not sure we actually hijacked this thread. Patricks pictures are going to bring out questions and challenge our thinking so talking about these things is actually cool in my opinion. It would be silly if we saw something in one of his pictures that we wanted to discuss and had to start a whole new thread to discuss it.

Patrick, please let me know if I am out of line here. :eek:

forestgnome
11-17-2009, 06:11 PM
No problems...I mentioned the hunt; it was part of the idea of the post, seeing the moose after the hunt.

I'm not against hunting, but I could only do it if there was a need. Someone has to kill and butcher the meat that I eat. Most hunters are fine, but there are the cavalier jerks.

The moose hunt is not about putting meat on the table for poor people because it's expensive and it's a gamble. Traditionally, the "success" rate is 60%. Hunters spend a lot of money on the hunt. They buy a lottery ticket. If they are chosen, they buy a permit, gun, ammo, gas, lodging for a week, food, beer, restaurants, etc. You have a 40% chance of not coming home with meat. At the market, you have a 100% chance, and the meat is cheaper and it's prepared. If you get a moose you still have to butcher it. Most hunters pay a butcher. By the time you have your moose venacin on the table, it ain't cheap, and you might not even get a moose.

There are tremendous economic pressures to increase the hunt by local business interests.

You don't see hunters in old crappy trucks; they all have nice new vehicles. The idea that NH moose hunters need cheap meet to feed their families is simply not reality. It's far cheaper to get meat at the store. I'm not saying it has to be in order to be justified, but it's not that. It's a sport. Many say they want a big bull with a big rack. You don't eat a rack and the bigger they are the tougher the meat.

The idea that it's a sport is absurd to me. I could hunt moose with my sword. ( yes, I have a real medievil sword that I swing for excersize ). I could hunt moose with a baseball bat. If it's a sport for anyone to hunt moose, they completely suck as a hunter. They should be a vegatarian.

Anna LeBlanc
11-17-2009, 09:09 PM
Patrick I was wondering if you have had any sightings since the hunt was over of Kazossa and his Mother?Hope they're O.K.

Anna

CHRIS
11-18-2009, 06:42 AM
Well said Patrick.

Charlie
11-18-2009, 07:38 PM
Well said Patrick.

yes and keep hunting and shooting them with your camera its better that way :D

Steve M
11-18-2009, 08:40 PM
The best thing about shooting them with your camera is you can keep shooting, with a gun you only get one shot.:D

forestgnome
11-19-2009, 07:32 PM
Good points! Anna, I haven't seen Kezossa and Mom, but I, too, have changed my daily patterns and I have not been out there much in the past two weeks, so they may be around. I'm hoping to be out there this weekend.

KathyC
11-21-2009, 07:45 AM
I can't wait to see your pictures.:)

forestgnome
12-06-2009, 10:40 PM
Patrick I was wondering if you have had any sightings since the hunt was over of Kazossa and his Mother?Hope they're O.K.

Anna

I haven't been out there much still. However, the time I did go recently I met a nice woman who described a sighting of three moose. Based on description, location and behavior, I am sure they are Kezossa, Mom and boyfreind ( the junior bull who was hanging with them the last few times I saw them in October ). Her sighting was last week. It's interesting that they are still all together.

Hope I see them this winter. Cool stuff to ponder :)

Anna LeBlanc
12-08-2009, 08:30 AM
Thank you Patrick!I'm so glad they are still all O.K.

Anna