PDA

View Full Version : Weather and gear

mstanley
10-06-2009, 06:15 PM
:eek: First time climbing Washington next weekend. Looking for feedback on gear/clothing this time of year.

Are gaiters a must? What about crampons?

Also, seeing that temperatures at the summit are around freezing with wind chills in the teens, is a parka a good idea or can I get by with layers of fleeces, winter hat, and a rain shell?

Feedback appreciated. :D

KD Talbot
10-06-2009, 09:08 PM
Most people heading above treeline this time of year in the Whites will carry crampons. Better to have and not need than need and not have.

Gaiters would be a good idea, but not essential.

Up to the minute weather forecast would be most important part of the gear, at least the decision process on what to wear. I always bring a dry shirt to put on at the top as I'm soaked in sweat. Will need more layers at summit as wind will cool you down fast. Layers may be fine for hiking, but wouldn't want to get hurt out there and not have a parka in my pack. I'd be packed for winter and hope I don't need any of it and I get some indian summer.

I'm sure others will chime in.

KDT

Brad
10-07-2009, 06:34 AM
It is hard to imagine crampons would have much to bit into this time of year. You would be spending a lot of time putting them on and taking them off. If there is a layer of snow, be real careful about post-holing through the snow and in between the rocks below!

mstanley
10-09-2009, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the response. Based on conditions, I am not leaving the parka behind. I will be climbing tomorrow or Sunday.

Still not sure about crampons. Can they be rented? Also is there any way to know in advance what the trail conditions are like? Specifically if I will be trekking in snow or ice? I know to expect snow and ice at the summit, but what about the trail. Seems like the freezing point is about 1000 feet below the summit today.