PDA

View Full Version : Tripyramid Slides

claaky23
10-08-2009, 03:40 PM
I know I'm posting this question early, but I'll be away all next week so I figure better early than late.
Does anyone know if Oct 18th is too late to do the North and South slide loop? I have no cramp-ons and don't intend to buy any this year, so if that's too late in the season I'll probably find a different hike.

Thanks.

KD Talbot
10-08-2009, 05:10 PM
It is probably not too late. That said, it is also quite possible that you might start out and be fine but then find ice up high on the North Slide, in which case you would have to retreat without crampons. The South slide is in the sun all day and is very unlikely to freeze, so you could go in that way and return the same way. Descending the North Slide is a lot harder than climbing it IMO. Having unknowingly descended that way in the rain I would not suggest descending in any conditions, but that's me.

If your objective is getting the summits and not necessarily the slides, or if you arrive and don't like the looks of things on the slides, then I would suggest this:

From Livermore: use the Scaur Ridge Trail to Pine Bend Brook Trail, summit North Tri, follow the Mt. Tripyramid Trail to Middle Tri, then retrace your steps rather than making a loop.

We did it this way in winter.

Also, you could go in from the east via the Kanc:

Use Pine Bend Brook Trail to the summit of North Tri, go over to Middle, then, in the col between the two take Sabbaday Brook Trail back to the Kanc. There's a one mile road walk back to the car. You could do the roadwalk first if you wanted to. Many do it this way. There are a lot of water crossings, so might not be a good way if it's been raining a lot.

KDT

claaky23
10-09-2009, 04:46 PM
Thanks,
I'm trying to bag the peaks, but trying to do so in a fun way so I guess i'll give it a try and if I come across ice or rain I'll do a U-turn. I'll hope for warm weather this week while I'm gone!

KD Talbot
10-16-2009, 08:12 PM
If you still plan on doing this expect to find winter conditions above 2000'. Chance are good there'll be even more snow than is already there after storms predicted for Sunday morning.

My suggestion would be to try the Scaur Ridge Trail and skip the slides. Go back and get them in better conditions, but that's just me.

KDT

claaky23
10-18-2009, 02:08 AM
I'm bailing on the slides. I was debating it anyway since I just got back from my honeymoon(its 2AM) but your last minute update sealed the deal for me. Looks like I may be done for the hiking season, but there is a rock climbing gym down the street which may keep me busy for a few months.