PDA

View Full Version : North and South Twin

Addicted
10-11-2009, 07:01 PM
Headed out yesterday hoping that the sun would come out and the clouds would break up and I would get some great shots of the foliage.

Um, yeah, that didn't happen. The beginning of the hike was a nice walk through the woods and I found myself wishing that we were gaining some elevation with all that distance. It was raining lightly and there were lots of wet rocks, wet leaves and wet roots. We skipped the first river crossing ("Are you freaking kidding me?!?") and walked along the river instead. Realizing that the second crossing wasn't optional, I seriously debated taking off my low cut Merrills and going barefoot. I didn't want to spend the rest of this long hike with wet feet. But in the end, I just went for it and didn't get too awful wet. We met a couple of guys on the opposite shore that had just crossed, one having as much trouble as myself. Poor guy had just realized that he left his glasses on the opposite bank!

Up we went, waiting for the clouds to lift, but only hearing the wind getting stronger. Oh well. We made it to the summit of North Twin (or something like it) and took the summit shot, then put on a few more layers of clothing, hates and gloves, and started over to South Twin. It was still raining at this point (had been since we got there), not really heavy but enough to have to wear the raincoat. The trails were wet and there were a lot of puddles. Did I mention the low cut Merrills?? About 50 feet into the trail I got pushed into a puddle by a scrubby tree I was trying to push my way around on the side and was officially wet footed. There was no view whatsoever, so we just chugged on over to South Twin. We spend about 30 seconds on the summit which was now really, really cold. There was the start of rime ice on the summit, which was cool, but meant it was dangerous to hang around as well. Took our summit pics and some pics of the ice there and headed back down.

The river crossing on the way down was much easier, as by now I was completely covered in mud and my feet were soaked. I splashed through and we made a dash back to the truck through the wet leaves, wet rocks and wet roots. LOVE those wet roots!!

Good day. Too cold, no views. But that makes 12- 4000 footers. A good stopping spot for this year.

JimS
10-12-2009, 07:37 AM
Headed out yesterday hoping that the sun would come out and the clouds would break up and I would get some great shots of the foliage.

Um, yeah, that didn't happen. The beginning of the hike was a nice walk through the woods and I found myself wishing that we were gaining some elevation with all that distance. It was raining lightly and there were lots of wet rocks, wet leaves and wet roots. We skipped the first river crossing ("Are you freaking kidding me?!?") and walked along the river instead. Realizing that the second crossing wasn't optional, I seriously debated taking off my low cut Merrills and going barefoot. I didn't want to spend the rest of this long hike with wet feet. But in the end, I just went for it and didn't get too awful wet. We met a couple of guys on the opposite shore that had just crossed, one having as much trouble as myself. Poor guy had just realized that he left his glasses on the opposite bank!

Up we went, waiting for the clouds to lift, but only hearing the wind getting stronger. Oh well. We made it to the summit of North Twin (or something like it) and took the summit shot, then put on a few more layers of clothing, hates and gloves, and started over to South Twin. It was still raining at this point (had been since we got there), not really heavy but enough to have to wear the raincoat. The trails were wet and there were a lot of puddles. Did I mention the low cut Merrills?? About 50 feet into the trail I got pushed into a puddle by a scrubby tree I was trying to push my way around on the side and was officially wet footed. There was no view whatsoever, so we just chugged on over to South Twin. We spend about 30 seconds on the summit which was now really, really cold. There was the start of rime ice on the summit, which was cool, but meant it was dangerous to hang around as well. Took our summit pics and some pics of the ice there and headed back down.

The river crossing on the way down was much easier, as by now I was completely covered in mud and my feet were soaked. I splashed through and we made a dash back to the truck through the wet leaves, wet rocks and wet roots. LOVE those wet roots!!

Good day. Too cold, no views. But that makes 12- 4000 footers. A good stopping spot for this year.

Stopping point?!?! Still got plenty of year to go ;)

Yeah..the weather was slow to clear this weekend. If you stayed later, you would have gotten some views...but had to hike out in the dark. A smart decision considering your condition.

Sounds like you had fun despite the conditions!

TrishandAlex
10-12-2009, 08:11 AM
Addicted, really nice descriptions of your struggles trying to stay dry. Some days, it's almost impossible, isn't it? Makes one want to pour a bucket of water over one's feet just to get it over with already. :)

Congratulations on being quarter-way through!

Addicted
10-12-2009, 12:46 PM
I'm definately asking for ankle hiking boots for christmas!! My feet get hot so I like the low cut breathable ones, but that just doesn't always work!

Snow Miser
10-12-2009, 08:16 PM
Nice report of your hike! There's not much worse than hiking in the rain is there? Glad you did get to both summits. Thanks for sharing.

Addicted
10-13-2009, 02:02 PM
My very first "big" hike turned out to be a 4000 footer, Mt Jefferson, before I knew that I would decide to hike them all. I had to attempt it 3 times before we could make it to the summit, all because of rain. We had to stop numerous times on the way down to ring out our socks and dump out our boots. We were completely soaked down to our undies. I vowed that I would never, ever, hike in the rain again. Hmmm.....What these mountains do to us!

KD Talbot
10-13-2009, 02:07 PM
A bad day on the trail beats a good day at work hands down!

The hikes like you describe are the ones I remember most vividly! Nice report!

KDT

Addicted
10-13-2009, 04:17 PM
Yes, Jefferson holds a spot in my heart. And my head! I learned a lot from that mountain. It made me a lot smarter about what could happen..

Snow Miser
10-13-2009, 04:43 PM
A bad day on the trail beats a good day at work hands down!
KDT

I absolutely agree with that!!!