PDA

View Full Version : What a difference a week makes...

Addicted
10-19-2009, 01:40 PM
Last weekend, I conquered North and South Twin, in the rain and cold with no foliage views (or any views at all) to be found. All I got out of it were wet muddy shoes and some shots of the rime ice on the summit (which was cool). The color on the hills all around on the drive up and drive home were incredible, and I was a little pissy that I didn't get one shot of it.

This weekend I headed out for something a little more relaxing in hopes of some good foliage shots. I knew the color was great just week ago, so I brought along the good camera and off we went to Mt Willard. What a nice change for a hike, not a lot of effort and suprisingly short! It was a nice day, no sun however, and there was snow on the trail about 1/2 mile in. I can't imagine what this trail looked like last weekend with all the leaf peepers, being a holiday weekend and all. We got to the summit and had a great view of Crawford Notch, however in just 1 week, all the colors seemed to be fading fast. I got some good shots, but no bright colors like the weekend before. If it wasn't so cold, I would have hung around a little longer and got a shot of the trail down heading into Crawford Notch to the station. We could hear the whistle, but couldnt' see the train yet, so we headed down. That cold granite doesn't make for a long term seat on a cold day!

Probably the last of the hikes till snowshoe season rolls around. Willard seemed like it might be a good snowshoe hike, so we're keeping that in mind.

Anybody know of any other good snowshoe hikes that won't kill me??

Anna LeBlanc
10-19-2009, 09:37 PM
Try the hike out to Harvard and Georgiana Falls in the Lincoln area.If you stop in at The Notchview Country Kitchen they should be able to direct you to the trailhead.Happy snowshoeing.:)

Tim&Val
10-19-2009, 09:52 PM
Here are some other great snowshoe hikes:

Squam Range: East & West Rattlesnake
Squam Range: Morgan-Percival Loop
Coppermine Trail to Bridal Veil Falls
Black Mountain Pond (off Lincoln Woods trail)
Last year, we took a nice hike out the back of the Highland Center to a red bench out near the railroad tracks. It had a great view of Mt Washington.

Have fun!
Valerie

Addicted
10-20-2009, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the tips! I'll keep them in mind. I'm always up for a good view of washington!