PDA

View Full Version : Winter Presi Traverse

nick
11-05-2009, 08:10 PM
Hello All,

I am new to these forums and was hoping I could get some advice!

I have been to NH to climb Mt. Washington in winter 3 out of the last 4 years, and was looking for a different challenge, so I decided to begin researching the Presidential Traverse. According to most local guide websites, they bring an avalanche probe / transceiver. I never did this on the Lion's Head route, but besides that trail I haven't ventured to the other areas of the Presidential Range.

So my main question is, if I am planning on doing the Traverse, is a probe/transceiver necessary? Any information regarding this or other easily overlook aspects of the traverse would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

- Nick

KD Talbot
11-06-2009, 10:11 AM
I assume by what you've written that you've been here:

http://chauvinguides.com/PresiTraverse/presiescapeguide.htm

You're not giving much info. If you're solo a transponder won't do you much good because no one will be looking for you. :D

The risk of avys in the Presidentials is very real. A fella died solo climbing Huntington last year. There were several other incidents where folks survived but were injured.

If you're in a group it would be a good idea for everyone to have one.

KDT

adknight
11-07-2009, 04:40 PM
Hi Nick, when were you thinking of doing this? I'd love to go from one end to the other but if I'm solo the parking aspect of the trip becomes a huge issue and I do not wish to doubleback. I'll be coming down on December 31st 2009 and staying until January 4th 2010 if you're available during that time.

nick
11-09-2009, 12:15 AM
Hi KDT!

Thanks for the reply,

I plan on doing this trip with a friend of mine. Just finished reading Nicholas Howe's book on disasters in the White Mountains, which definitely showed the real danger of the mountains! I have heard of a lot of danger near both ravines before, but wasn't sure about other places on the range.

I haven't used a transceiver before, but I'm guessing if I rented them from IME the guys would be glad to help me out.

adknight -

Not sure of the exact date I will be up in NH but don't think it'll be till a bit later in January. I currently have the same problem of parking near the Valley Trail and getting back to the car. Maybe a kind driver would be able to give you a lift? Double-backing certainly would be a lot of work!

adknight
11-12-2009, 08:13 PM
adknight -

Not sure of the exact date I will be up in NH but don't think it'll be till a bit later in January. I currently have the same problem of parking near the Valley Trail and getting back to the car. Maybe a kind driver would be able to give you a lift? Double-backing certainly would be a lot of work!If there were another sole out there I'm certain they would most likely consider it at the least. I found that my experiences with people in New Hampshire were very positive in the past. People are so friendly it reminded me of the east coast of Canada.

I plan to climb Durand Ridge to the col between Madison and Adams, summit Madison first, then Adams, Jefferson, skip the minor Clay summit, head up to Washington. If by some stoke of amazing luck and the weather is good, I could then decend down to Monroe, Franklin and then Eisenhower. From Eisenhower I'd have to travel back to my vehicle by-passing all the summits to the Air Line where I can decend Durand.

I'll be happy with Madison, Adams, Jefferson and Washington although now you have me thinking ... maybe I will bring my cross-country skis, that would help reduce some of the travel time along the flatter parts of my trip.