PDA

View Full Version : New OBSCAST!

karenk
01-24-2007, 10:37 AM
Bravo! What fun to see what Jim had to show us! Exceptional web addition for your membership! Thank you!

Bill O
01-24-2007, 11:04 AM
Looks great. I hope they can keep it fun and exciting every week.

Brad
01-24-2007, 11:17 AM
A very well done video - especially for the first one in a long series. Jim is not just a Weather Channel star - he is now also a ObsCast commentator. How will the others on the staff be able to work with him?

The door and air pressure demonstration was really amazing! Nice variety in the show. We don't want to give too much away in our discussions. Folks should sign up with to get their membership and then they too can watch.

AlpineHikerFan71
01-25-2007, 09:44 AM
ABSOLUTLY FASCINATING STUFF. Jim S is now a world wide star, I see a star on the hollywood walk of fame soon
On the serious side, great job, something that will have me looking forward to Mondays now. A great segment with the boiling water and making snow and the pressure difference with the wind trying to open the door was just great, gives you everyone an idea what it is like.
thanks again guys and gals for a great job done. I am spreading the word to everyone I know.
Keep up the great work you all do

Bill O
01-25-2007, 10:12 AM
When I was on the summit we would always play around with that door. On one windy night I decided to measure the difference in pressure between the weather room and the tower. My watch altimeter recorded a difference of several hundred feet between the two. That's how much air is being sucked out of the tower.

AlpineHikerFan71
01-25-2007, 11:39 AM
When I was on the summit we would always play around with that door. On one windy night I decided to measure the difference in pressure between the weather room and the tower. My watch altimeter recorded a difference of several hundred feet between the two. That's how much air is being sucked out of the tower.

that is just amazing Bill. Something you probably wont forget anytime soon. what an experience for sure.
thanks for sharing

Rich
01-25-2007, 01:45 PM
I can't download the obscast? Can't find it or something like that? Help?

Bill O
01-25-2007, 01:54 PM
I can't download the obscast? Can't find it or something like that? Help?

The ObsCast is premium content, you have to be a member and you have to have your online account linked. Once you've done that put your mouse over the "weather" menu. Its at the bottom of the drop down list.

Or click on "weather" and you can find the link on the right side.

Rich
01-25-2007, 02:22 PM
[QUOTE=Bill O]The ObsCast is premium content, you have to be a member and you have to have your online account linked....

Sorry...forgot to mention I am a member. I start to download it and it says it can't, can't find it or the site is down? Something like that?

AlpineHikerFan71
01-25-2007, 02:27 PM
Bill,
Are you having any difficulty in d/l the sunrise on the west cam. I seem to have trouble d'l it, the others work fine, just the west view. Just wanted to throw that out there, maybe it is me,

Bill O
01-25-2007, 02:39 PM
Bill,
Are you having any difficulty in d/l the sunrise on the west cam. I seem to have trouble d'l it, the others work fine, just the west view. Just wanted to throw that out there, maybe it is me,

There seems to be a problem with the West View movie right now, it worked this morning so I don't know what's up. I'm sure it won't last for long.

Patrad Fischroy
01-25-2007, 03:16 PM
The obscast downloaded fine for me

Mike D
01-25-2007, 03:49 PM
There seems to be a problem with the West View movie right now, it worked this morning so I don't know what's up. I'm sure it won't last for long.

The movie loads fine for me as of right now (3:45PM).

AlpineHikerFan71
01-25-2007, 06:52 PM
Thanks guys will try it again now and see what kind of sunrise I can get
thanks

AlpineHikerFan71
01-25-2007, 06:55 PM
Thanks guys will try it again now and see what kind of sunrise I can get
thanks
Working fine now. thanks

SummitStaff
02-05-2007, 11:30 AM
The new obscast for February 5th has been posted!

achotee
02-06-2007, 03:15 AM
Ok it's dumb question time. Just listened to the Feb 5th obcast, which by the way is great! It's a wonder though that they can manage to get out of all those layers with time to enjoy being out of those layers, before it's time to get back in 'em!

But my question is about the equipment. They are using a sling what??:confused: I replayed the obcast a couple of times, but that second word just keeps getting by me.

Can anyone help me out with that?

Thanks!

Bill O
02-06-2007, 06:19 AM
Sling Psychrometer.

hobbes
02-06-2007, 08:38 AM
You will find a video demonstrating this and other instruments at http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/instruments/

Brad
02-06-2007, 10:02 AM
Sling Psychrometer.
Wow - a Psycho-meter. So appropriate a name. I always wondered about folks who live up there ...

achotee
02-06-2007, 11:00 AM
Wow - a Psycho-meter. So appropriate a name. I always wondered about folks who live up there ...
And that is exactly what I thought he said... couldn't believe I heard right so just had to ask.

Thank you all for the answer and thank you hobbes for the link!

Mike D
02-06-2007, 11:18 AM
PsychRometer: the prefix "psychro" means "cold". The device is not literally a cold-meter, but its usefulness is derived from how much colder the wet thermometer is than the dry one. That's how you can tell the relative humidity and the dew point.

Brad
02-06-2007, 12:32 PM
That's how you can tell the relative humidity and the dew point.
I can normally feel it in my bones a few days before the relatives arrive. And the bills have the dew date printed on them. This way I can stay inside where it is warm and get the same results.

Charlie
02-06-2007, 06:08 PM
i have a Psychrometer but its a digital one .i don't know how well it works in the extreme cold .