PDA

View Full Version : any suggestion for a first hike?

JenCell
11-19-2009, 12:22 PM
I'M from quebec, would like to hike in the white mountain this week-end.
What would you suggest for a first hike in the region ?

njgail11
11-19-2009, 09:03 PM
I am no expert, but i would suggest Mount Willard. Me and my husband love this hike. Location is in Crawford Notch area trail head is located behind the Crawford Dept information center off US 302. I think anyone would agree very nice hike. Hope this helps.

Anna LeBlanc
11-19-2009, 09:29 PM
I am no expert, but i would suggest Mount Willard. Me and my husband love this hike. Location is in Crawford Notch area trail head is located behind the Crawford Dept information center off US 302. I think anyone would agree very nice hike. Hope this helps.

This is a great first hike.Your pretty much in the trees to the summit ledges so even if the weather turns out not to be the greatest you'll still be in good shape.Really good views for very little effort.:)

Another one you might want to try is Arethusa Falls.Also off Rte.302.Enjoy yourselves.

Anna

hobbes
11-20-2009, 07:29 AM
You don't specify your ability, but the above are great hikes. Another fairly easy hike is Black Cap, or if you're looking for a little more challenge go with Kearsarge, both in North Conway.

smithtim
11-20-2009, 08:42 AM
If you are coming down I-93 there is also a few good trail heads right of the interstate in franconia notch state park which is more on the east side of the whites; not as grand as the stuff around mt wash but still a few good options over there

Mt. Liberty / Flume is a good one day challenging loop trail ( class 3 partly above treeline & pretty challenging) if you do that loop just make sure you ascent up Flume slide as it is very very tough to come down that way... Or Mt. Lafayette / Lincoln is another one that is not so challenging (maybe class 2?)

http://www.nhstateparks.org/uploads/FranconiaNotchHikingTrailsMapWeb.pdf

the good thing about these trails is their proximity to the interstate and are very easy to get to by car... I always feel that this opens up the choice of staying some where other than Conway village, as the prices in the village can be a little high. I know a lot of people find reasonable lodging further south on I-93 towards the bigger cities of the state

JimS
11-20-2009, 11:11 AM
I would recommend two...one already mentioned...Mount Willard, which leaves from the highland center at crawford notch. Information at the beginning, and a good hike to a great view. Will give you a taste for something larger.

The other would be Lonesome Lake in Franconia Notch. Again, relatively short, to a great view, with resources at both ends incase you end up over your head.

I wouldn't do too much to start, especially in November...but the above two are hikes I always love, and return to again and again!

JenCell
11-20-2009, 02:03 PM
thanks guys really appreciated!
I'M in good fitness condition, I don't hike a lot but want to do it more in the future.
I bought the white mountain guide from amc, a lot of information..i'm a little lost..;)

lafayette and lincoln seem great, but don't know if it's too much to begin with..

JenCell
11-20-2009, 04:30 PM
thanks for the suggestions! very appreciated

also mount pierce seems nice (4h30). would be a moderate hike according to the book

do we have to wear special clothing because of the hunting season?
I don't have any bright color jacket, so I guess I have to buy some kind of bright color vest?

KD Talbot
11-20-2009, 06:37 PM
You can get a cheap hunter orange vest at most general stores in the area. It's not so much needed on the trails, but you can never be too safe, especially if hiking at dawn or dusk.

Yes, Mount Pierce is an excellent idea, maybe the easiest 4k for a great view.

http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33118

Crawford Path, up and back. Mt. Tom on the other side of the notch is a good easy one as well. Be prepared for unexpected weather at all times in these mountains with cooler temps and gusting winds at higher altitudes.

KDT

MelNino
11-21-2009, 10:30 AM
Willard was fun hike,we just got back from it. Check out my trip report for details, its def a good first hike.

Have a great hike!

Stets
11-21-2009, 06:55 PM
A lot of choices from this classic spot:

1)Tuckerman Ravine Trail to Hermit Lake and a wonderful view to the ravine.

Facilities on both ends of this classic hike and a waterfall on the way.

2)Lost Pond Trail, (small section of The Appalachian Trail)

Not much elevation, but a terrific hike to a beautiful spot with some fun boulder hopping.

3)Lowe's Bald Spot.

Old Jackson Road to a short segment of The Madison Gulf Trail (Also part of The Appalachian Trail).

Great views of Madison and Adams as well as Wildcat.

A little longer trip but not a lot of elevation with this hike.

I can't think of a better introduction to hiking than Pinkham Notch Camp.

Good luck and Happy Hiking!

adknight
11-21-2009, 07:00 PM
You can get a cheap hunter orange vest at most general stores in the area. It's not so much needed on the trails, but you can never be too safe, especially if hiking at dawn or dusk.Did I miss something or are some of these mountains open to hunting? I don't hunt and live in Canada so I'm completely unfamiliar with hunting seasons and areas.

As for the hiking question ...

I think the Old Bridle Path up to the summit of Layafette, across the ridge to Lincoln and Little Haystack, then decend along the Falling Waters Trail would be a good one depending on ground conditions. Mainly I would be concerned with a slip and fall, or twisting your ankle on the Falling Waters Trail due to large rocks that may be covered with snow ... but seeing as there is only rime ice right now you should be okay.

You could always do the Bridle Path to the summit of Layafette and decend back down the same trail which would be super easy.

JenCell
11-24-2009, 12:10 PM
Well I choose to hike Mt Pierce sunday with my husband and father, the weather was perfect!
It was really nice, and found it pretty easy..(except for my father..eheh)

.here a few pictures to prove it..;)

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo345/dufourjen/ks/DSCN0799.jpg
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo345/dufourjen/ks/DSCN0772.jpg
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo345/dufourjen/ks/0734.jpg
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo345/dufourjen/ks/777.jpg

will probably try lafayette next time!

CHRIS
11-24-2009, 12:29 PM
Very nice pictures. Thank you for sharing.

Brad
11-24-2009, 01:12 PM
excellent pictures

Snow Miser
11-24-2009, 07:23 PM
Great photos! You certainly had a beautiful day to be out there. Thanks for sharing them.

MelNino
11-24-2009, 07:48 PM
Thanks for sharing the pix.....I esp like that second to last one, with the sun streaming through the tress. :)

krummholz
11-24-2009, 08:12 PM
Very nice--I find the one looking up the Crawford ridge toward Washington to be intriguing. I wonder what accounts for the patterns of frost in the trees? It forms in lines running upslope, and I see those lines between Pierce and Eisenhower, but not further along the ridge. Very mysterious.

Brad
11-25-2009, 06:17 AM
Very nice--I find the one looking up the Crawford ridge toward Washington to be intriguing. I wonder what accounts for the patterns of frost in the trees? It forms in lines running upslope, and I see those lines between Pierce and Eisenhower, but not further along the ridge. Very mysterious.
My guess is as the sun starts to hit the taller trees their frost will melt and the shorter trees will still have it on them.

KD Talbot
11-25-2009, 01:47 PM
Glad you enjoyed yourself! Nice pics!

KDT

Anna LeBlanc
11-25-2009, 02:20 PM
Be sure to come back for more hikes in the future.Enjoyed your pictures very much.

Anna

JenCell
11-26-2009, 04:14 PM
of course! I<m planning to do some more, lafayette, adams, etc
will keep washington for the last as a reward..;)

mtruman
11-26-2009, 05:51 PM
Glad you had a great introduction to White Mountain hiking. Great pics. I really love the one of the trail with the sun streaming through the trees. There's no doubt you'll be back after one experience like this.

Anna LeBlanc
11-26-2009, 07:31 PM
Glad you had a great introduction to White Mountain hiking. Great pics. I really love the one of the trail with the sun streaming through the trees. There's no doubt you'll be back after one experience like this.

There's just something very special about these mountains:

Once they grab ahold of you:

They never let go:

Boy am I glad!!!!;)

Hike safe.

Anna