PDA

View Full Version : Everest Beyond The Limit Season 3!!!

njhiker
11-20-2009, 06:15 PM
Hi All,

I just wanted to let all those of you who love the show Everest Beyond The Limit that it will be airing season 3 soon. I have been desperatley looking for info in regards to this for awhile, and the ebsite blog for the show has had no info. I am sure many have also been wondering. I finally gave up looking for info and just sent a note to Discovery Channel and got the info...

Dear Viewer,

Thank you for contacting Discovery Channel.

Everest is currently scheduled to premiere on January 6, 2010.

For programming and schedule information, please visit our website at www.discovery.com, then click on TV Schedule. Our schedules are published for the current and following month. If you are not able to locate the programming you are looking for, we recommend checking back periodically to see if it has been added to the current schedule.

For your convenience, use the "Newsletters" feature on our website to receive e-mail reminders letting you know when your favorite program is going to be televised.

Sincerely,

Viewer Relations
Discovery Channel

Enjoy the Show!!!

NJHIKER :D

MelNino
11-20-2009, 07:11 PM
I was just looking for info on this, thanks!! :)

Bill O
11-20-2009, 07:37 PM
Thanks for posting. I was wondering if it was ever going to come back after China shutdown the north side before the Olympics. I also thought the team leader got himself banned from China.

I'm looking forward to watching.

mtruman
11-21-2009, 09:53 AM
Excellent!! Can't wait. Going to have to put a reminder on my calendar to record it...

Snow Miser
11-22-2009, 12:41 PM
Thanks for posting njhiker! I too will have to put it on my calendar.

BlueDog
11-24-2009, 03:03 PM
Woohoo! Looking forward to it.

Though... the BEST shows about Everest is will the podcast called The Rest of Everest (http://www.restofeverest.com)!

Jimmy Legs and Little d
11-25-2009, 09:29 PM
After seeing the first 2 seasons, which were fantastic, it's good to hear that there's going to be another season. Thanks for looking into it.

Donna:)

njhiker
12-04-2009, 09:24 AM
No problem for the info...Love the show and who knows maybe one day I will make it if I can ever find a way to come up with 40,000.00.

Found this article very interesting relating to Everest...
Turns out the worlds highest cabinet meeting was just held at base camp at Everest. The prime minister of Nepal, his 2 deputy prime ministers and 20 cabinet memebers just held a cabinet meeting at base camp complete with oxygen masks in order to discuss the affects of global warming and the meltinf ice on Everest and the surround mountains in the Himalayas...

http://http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34270615/ns/world_news-south_and_central_asia/

Bill O
12-04-2009, 08:37 PM
So when does the new season start?

njhiker
12-06-2009, 10:16 AM
It premiers January 6th....

Bill O
12-27-2009, 08:58 PM
I'm watching an Everest marathon (Sunday night 12/27) and it looks like the Nepal side with Russell Brice. Is this the missing season that wasn't on last spring? I don't think I have seen this.

MelNino
12-27-2009, 10:40 PM
Crap, I just checked TV Guide...these are all new eps....and it's 10:30pm....I missed some

MelNino
12-27-2009, 10:41 PM
Never mind....they are repeating the first ep at 11pm. whew!

Looks like they are showing the first 3 eps.

Bill O
12-28-2009, 07:12 AM
When was this filmed? I think this is the 2008 spring climbing season.

kaseri
12-28-2009, 08:17 AM
The following was taken directly from the IMG website.

Viewing dates for the Discovery Channel's "Everest Beyond the Limit" featuring IMG's 2009 Everest Expedition

Now in its third season, the Discovery Channel's Everest: Beyond The Limit is taking a new approach to filming and will feature both International Mountain Guides and Himalayan Experience in a five-part series. Be sure to check your local listings for any last-minute changes.

Sunday, December 27, 2009
8:00pm Episode 1
9:00pm Episode 2
10:00pm Episode 3

Wednesday, December 30, 2009
9:00pm Episode 4
10:00pm Episode 5

mtruman
12-28-2009, 08:37 AM
I just heard this today from someone I'm following on Twitter (so there really is a reason for it). Checked the channel guide this morning and all 5 episodes for this season are airing on Discovery on Wednesday night back-to-back starting at 6:00pm. Can't wait!! (Note that they are also re-airing on Jan 9th for anyone who can't watch this week). Set those DVRs!!!

We're in the middle of watching last year's series right now (missed it completely when it was on last winter). Best use so far for the new Netflix subscription and Roku video streaming box that we got for Christmas.

MelNino
12-28-2009, 09:03 AM
Meh, I feel asleep during ep 2

donnellyvj
12-28-2009, 11:32 AM
I give the new season 2 thumbs up. Best yet...:D

Bill O
12-28-2009, 12:25 PM
I give the new season 2 thumbs up. Best yet...:D

Not sure I feel the same way...the "characters" aren't very exciting. But, anything Everest is always good.

This is more like Season 2.5 (first two seasons were on the north side). Season "3" is airing in early January according to other posts in this thread.

I totally missed these last winter.

Snow Miser
12-28-2009, 12:41 PM
I watch all 3 episodes last night and thought they were pretty good. Definitely look forward to watching the rest.

BlueDog
12-28-2009, 02:00 PM
My DVR went belly up on me and I've missed them so far. I'll have to watch them the old fashioned way.. in real time.

mk10
12-28-2009, 04:16 PM
Season 3 has a new format, where each episode follows one or two pairs of climbers from start to summit (or failure to summit). Each episode is self-contained in that the viewer doesn't have to rely on information found in a previous episode, which the viewer may or may not have missed.

In seasons 1 and 2, each episode focused on a certain stage of the climb with footage of many climbers mostly within that stage. Viewers got to see the characters progress and develop from one episode to the next. These episodes often ended with a minor cliffhanger with the viewer excited and wanting to see more.

I'm not yet quite sure which format I prefer...

njhiker
12-28-2009, 07:11 PM
I'm not sure why I got the information I did directly from Discovery only to stumble upon it last night. They told me the show would premier January 6th in their email to me. I am a little upset about the mis-information coming directly from Discovery. Anyways, I watched the first episodes last night and fell asleep during the second episode of season 3. I'm not sure I like the new format this year. It seems a little slow and there is nothing to look forward to on the next episode. Although allot sure has already happened in the first two episodes! I guess I will have to continue watching to see if I truly like the new format. Don't get me wrong its still interesting, just doesn't seem as compelling.

As far as the season this was filmed, it was 2009. The mountain was closed down in 2008 by the Chinese government so that they could carry the Olympic torch to the summit and did not want any problems especially from protesters.

Bill O
12-28-2009, 07:36 PM
As far as the season this was filmed, it was 2009. The mountain was closed down in 2008 by the Chinese government so that they could carry the Olympic torch to the summit and did not want any problems especially from protesters.

Okay, this all makes sense now.

The south side was open (although limited) in 2008.

So far, everything in Season 3 has been from the south side. Even Russell Brice is working there now. I see from his website they are not able to get guaranteed access to Tibet. In reality, I think he would be whisked off to jail if he stepped foot in China.

MelNino
12-28-2009, 10:23 PM
Not a fan of the new format, but that could be because I was falling asleep. I'll have a better review after Wed.

njhiker
12-30-2009, 08:34 PM
I'm watching Everest now, and the new format is starting to grow on me. I am curious though....I had always thought Brice had a decent reputation with the Chinese government. I have been looking into rumors about him not being welcome there. I cannot find anything, although from what it looks like after visiting a few other expedition guides websites not affiliated with Brice, it looks like China has closed down the North Side indefinately to everyone. Just about everyone is saying they can no longer get passes from the government.

I believe it has to do with the Tibetans and the Dali Lama...I know that they originally closed the North side so that they could carry the torch to the summit for the Olympics, but that was also a time when the government was searching for the Dali Lama and when some Chinese soliers shot and killed some Tibetans, some of whom were Sherpas.

If anyone has any information let me know, I am really interested....Thanks!

Bill O
12-30-2009, 08:58 PM
If anyone has any information let me know, I am really interested....Thanks!

From what I understand Tibet is generally closed to all foreigners right now. Maybe I am wrong and maybe it is just the Tibetan routes on Everest. Regardless, nobody is climbing there.

I also thought that it was Brice and The Discovery Channel that witnessed and filmed the Tibetans being shot as they tried to cross into Nepal. If I'm wrong about that than Brice probably has no problems with the Chinese.

BlueDog
12-30-2009, 09:30 PM
I believe there was an incident where a climber with Brice's expedition had emailed (from the Tibet side) back to the free world about the shooting of a Buddhist nun by Chinese soldiers during the 2006 season. This put Brice's standing with the govt in jeopardy. (Note, this is also the very controversial season with the death of David Sharp, that Brice was caught up in.)

The incident was also filed my climbers that witnessed the shooting. I can't remember if they were climbers with Brice or not.

According to wiki, Brice showed no compassion in regard to the shooting and even treated the soldiers for snow blindness.

A movie has been made about the incident. I haven't seen it yet, but info is at Tibet: Murder in the Snow (http://www.tibetmurderinthesnow.com/).

From wiki: In the video "Murder in the Snow" (at time 43:10) related to the shootings, Luis recounts the tale about Brice's reaction for the killings being reported.

Russell : Are you %$##$% crazy? Do you realize what you have %$#%%$ done? You %$%#%$ crazy!

Luis : (I didn't know what to say (to russell). I was floored) Do you think its right to .... ?

Russell: (Just walks out of the camp)

Some months later, Russell Brice lodged a complaint about the shootings with the Chinese Mountaineering Association.

I believe it has to do with the Tibetans and the Dali Lama...I know that they originally closed the North side so that they could carry the torch to the summit for the Olympics, but that was also a time when the government was searching for the Dali Lama and when some Chinese soliers shot and killed some Tibetans, some of whom were Sherpas.

I'm not really sure where this info stems from. I follow the new of His Holiness pretty regularly and at no time do I remember them 'searching' for the Dali Lama.

Bill O
12-30-2009, 10:02 PM
I'm not really sure where this info stems from. I follow the new of His Holiness pretty regularly and at no time do I remember them 'searching' for the Dali Lama.

Yeah, the Dali Lama moves around pretty freely (just not in China or Tibet). It's no secret where he is.

Back to the show.

I like the temperature display. From reading Krakauer and others you'd get the impression that everything above Camp III was slightly above absolute zero and any exposed skin would instantly freeze. Some of those temps seem reasonable.

I'm also surprised that while on the fixed ropes their ice axes are strapped to their backs. It seems like you give up a big margin of safety, especially being on the ropes with so many other people (maybe I don't fully understand how their system works and if there are any redundancies).

vespoli
12-30-2009, 10:37 PM
Im not a big fan of the new format. Its designed for the one and done viewer. I prefer the longer, have-to-watch-every-week style. This type of television is waaaaay to superficial for me, I like the depth of seasons 1 and 2.

MelNino
12-30-2009, 10:52 PM
Trying to get into this season.....maybe because I'm getting things ready for NYE and playing Zelda, I am not paying full attention.

Its good, but I'm not as "attached" to these climbers as the past season.

The head Sherpa rules, 16 summits!!!

njhiker
12-30-2009, 11:40 PM
I actually just read some more info on everything but who really knows what the truth is. I read that Russell was siding strangely with the Chinese government in the shooting and just walked past and ignored it. If that is the case I may have lost quite a bit of respect for him, but like I said no one knows for sure so until I know I will continue to respect the man. He however has said that he had planned on helping the Chinese government prepare the North side of the Mountain for the Torch carriers by having his team of Sherpas lay the ropes and prepare the route for the Chinese climbers as well as provide any weather forcasting and communication necessary. He truly believed he was going to help the government, however they still denied him the permit and he did not assist the Chinese in any way. I also read that the Chinese have closed the mountain on the North side for environmental reasons. I am sure that is just a Chinese excuse considering what has been going on but they claim that they want to clean up the mountain after years of trash being left behind and then limit the amount of climbers after clean up. Whatever the story it just is not good news. For that side of the Mountain to be closed will surely affct the Tibetans and Sherpas as well as affect any dreams climbers may have of summiting from that side in the future.

The chinese also tried convincing the Nepalese government to close down the Mountain by giving them a huge sum of money to rebuild dams and bridges, however the Nepalese goverment only closed the Mountain between May1st and May10 of 2008 when the Chinese torch carriers summited the Mountain.

As far as the show, am I crazy or did they just air the whole entire season? I think they aired the whole entire season at this point. In one night? I am definately a bit disspointed. I feel as though they are trying to rush the show of the air so they can add new shows to their line up. And how do you sum up a whole entire climbing season in 4 episodes? :(

BlueDog
12-31-2009, 10:15 AM
Make no mistake about it, Brice makes LOTS of money running these expeditions for Everest climbers. With the Chinese govt being as unpredictable as they are, I'm sure part of what was going through his head at the time was no doing anything to jeopardize his future access to the Tibet side. Its also possible that he 'cold hearted' position was out of self-preservation for him and his team while they are physically in the country, in a place with no quick exit if things turn south. Its not out of the realm of possibility that if the Chinese govt knew that this was being filmed we would have been hearing about the climbers being jailed as spies or some such.

The Chinese closing down the north side for 'environmental' reasons I find highly laughable. The highest polluting nation on the planet is concerned over some O2 bottles left on a remote mountainside? The struggle with Tibetan people is still strong. The Sherpa people make their yearly living off the 3 months of climbing season. If the Chinese can take away that income, they stand to break the will of the people.

On the south side during 2008, yes, the Chinese did try to get Nepal to shut it down as well. They refused as they knew the economic impact it would have on the region and the people. But they did concede to let the Chinese Army monitor the actions of what was going on. Communication between expeditions and the outside world (via internet, satelite phone, cell phone, etc) was very tightly controlled and monitored by the Chinese.

The best part about the whole torch run was that the reports I read said the team of Chinese climbers couldn't make the summit and they had to get a group of Tibetan Shepra to do it for them.

</sorry, political rant over>

Regarding the show, I'm finding it hard to get into this season as well. Covering a whole climb of one or two people per show really doesn't give you a feel for the time it takes. The directors are too focused on the short attention span viewer and trying to get as much action and danger into it as possible. I don't think this season is really showing the true picture of trekking Everest.