PDA

View Full Version : Mt Washington Hike

mebreuer
11-21-2009, 02:07 AM
Hi, I am a 17 year old looking to hike Mt Washington for my first time with some friends. I am an experienced hiker, and although most of my friends aren't, we're all in good shape and I think we can handle pretty difficult treks. What would you suggest as a daytrip route that is doable for the inexperienced in the group but not a walk in the park for the more experienced (obviously all of the routes have some degree of difficulty).

Thanks
Matt

Anna LeBlanc
11-21-2009, 07:31 AM
Hi, I am a 17 year old looking to hike Mt Washington for my first time with some friends. I am an experienced hiker, and although most of my friends aren't, we're all in good shape and I think we can handle pretty difficult treks. What would you suggest as a daytrip route that is doable for the inexperienced in the group but not a walk in the park for the more experienced (obviously all of the routes have some degree of difficulty).

Thanks
Matt

Matt,

You say you are an experienced hiker.Have you done any winter hiking at all?And what other types of hiking have you done?

Anna

KD Talbot
11-21-2009, 07:57 AM
When do you plan to make this trip? November and December will have winter-like conditions and unless all in the group are prepared with winter gear and experience I would not bring them.

If I was bringing less experienced people with me I would be aiming at something less ambitious than Washington. May I suggest a trip to Mt. Pierce via the Crawford Path. There are great views and there is only a short scramble to the summit that is above treeline. It's a good way to break into winter hiking and it is very close to Mt. Washington.

KDT