PDA

View Full Version : weather warnings for the weekend 11/28

Breeze
11-27-2009, 06:24 PM
I'll admit that I'm only remembering about 7 years of daily diligence to OBS data and forecasting. That is really newbie curiosity, in the scheme of OBS record keeping.

But I'm still duly impressed that MW OBS has issued such a strongly worded short term forecast concerning hiking above tree level this weekend.

We had Lunch today at Mr Pizza in Gorham, and encountered a couple who wanted to tag the Moriahs. They happily did Wildcats yesterday in perfect t-shirt weather, and bailed off today when wet snow built on warm rock.

What you get in that situation is a moving, melting, indeterminately liquid or frozen layer between what you think might be underfoot ( snow) and what your boot sole meets (water running downhill).

It is what it is out there, and it will always challenge one's understanding.

Breeze

rockin rex
11-29-2009, 06:23 PM
I wouldn't want to be above tree in those winds. Another example of ALWAYS checking the local weather before climbing and listening to it. Have been up on Nelson Crag in 90 mile per hour winds and couldn't stand up. I can't imagine climbing in 137 mile an hour gust. Wow!!!!

Charlie
11-29-2009, 08:15 PM
I wouldn't want to be above tree in those winds. Another example of ALWAYS checking the local weather before climbing and listening to it. Have been up on Nelson Crag in 90 mile per hour winds and couldn't stand up. I can't imagine climbing in 137 mile an hour gust. Wow!!!!

just be safe if you do it so we can read about your trip report on here and not in the news paper :)

HeyRay
12-17-2009, 08:10 AM
We hiked up to baldface shelter friday afternoon in the rain, Snow at the shelter at sunset, accumulated to about 4' overnight. Not enough snow for snow shoes and the ice was to thin for crampons so we did not continue saturday morning.
Instead we just camped and in the early afternoon I was watching a series of snow devils rise on the slab above the shelter when one all of a sudden formed into a tornado. I had time to tell my friend to look and he saw it also, about 50 high and 15 wide on the ground. The sound was very loud like ripping the atmosphere open for about 3 seconds and then it blew itself out.
Saturday night the 28th was sleepless the howling winds were extremely unnerving. We thought for sure trees would be down all around us.
Sunday morning we travel up a few hundred feet and realized what we thought, no way to the summit, to slippery.
Our trip down from the shelter revealed 8 large down trees across the trail. We removed alot of small stuff and had to go around several. Overall a great trip and great expierence. We will return and do this ridge another day.
Ray Heyse
:cool:

KD Talbot
12-17-2009, 08:37 PM
Love this place and this hike! I actually would have liked to have been there for this!

Saw something similar to what you saw that lasted several minutes above a cliff on Welch Mtn. near Waterville Valley. Very cool, snow tornado!

The ledges above the shelter are definitely not to be trifled with.

Have you been up there before?

KDT

HeyRay
12-18-2009, 11:27 AM
No I have not been up there yet !. My friend mike and I are definately going to try when there is more snow. Looks very challenging treking the ridge. Trails did not seem well marked above the tree line and it is a few miles of exposed ridgeline.
A full moon hike would be great across that.
The fire pit at the south shelter was a life saver that weekend.

Ray:cool: