PDA

View Full Version : Winter camping on Kancamagus

ChrisN
12-10-2009, 02:22 PM
Ok technically not Winter yet, but close enough.

I have read that Hancock Campground is plowed during the winter. Has anyone ever camped there that could respond to exactly what is plowed? I would assume the access roads, but is the ground cleared where you park?

I have been camping in the area in the winter before, but never car camping, I have always hiked in so I am unsure what to expect as far as how much ground I will need to clear of snow to accommodate the car.

Thanks!

parnelli
12-12-2009, 08:59 AM
Ok technically not Winter yet, but close enough.

I have read that Hancock Campground is plowed during the winter. Has anyone ever camped there that could respond to exactly what is plowed? I would assume the access roads, but is the ground cleared where you park?

I have been camping in the area in the winter before, but never car camping, I have always hiked in so I am unsure what to expect as far as how much ground I will need to clear of snow to accommodate the car.

Thanks!
In the past the entire circle is plowed. The snow is plowed into and pushed back into the site. There is room for your car . I usually tent camp right in the plowed space with my vehicle. :)

parnelli
12-15-2009, 08:18 AM
http://images18.fotki.com/v673/photos/1/1042657/4292388/MtWashington001-vi.gif
When planning a winter camping trip Daylight hours are fewer in the winter, which will also limit your time. Normal activities around camp take longer in cold weather.

but it is so worth it!