PDA

View Full Version : Garmin 60cxs

bc529
12-13-2009, 08:00 PM
Just wondering if I what topo map to purchase with this unit. I will be hiking in the whites and near New Found Lake area. I wasn't sure if I should by the bundle or is there a better map or maps I should purchase that give better details of trail and what not. Its all new to me so just looking for some help.
Thanks all

BlueDog
12-14-2009, 10:51 AM
I've spent some time using the 60cxs, owned a Colorado 400T and just upgraded it to an Oregon 400T.

Depending on your budget and comfort with things technical, I would really suggest you go consider the Oregon 400T. The "t" indicates that the topo maps are already preloaded and they are much better resolution than what the 60 can display. The time to lock-in the satellites is much quicker and the accuracy is the best of all the Garmin handhelds.

The 60 isn't a bad unit, its just older technology that I don't think Garmin will be supporting for much longer as their operating system moves to the new format like on the Oregons.

Plus, consider buying your Garmin at REI (membership required). When my Colorado 400T started giving me fits it was just over a year old. I returned it to REI and got full price back ($599). Which means I got the newer and better Oregon for $499 plus $100 on a gift card. This benefit alone is worth a few more bucks than I could have saved on some eBay or Amazon deal.

hashjoin
12-18-2009, 08:49 AM
Unrelated post, but also look at Delorme PN30/PN40 units. I believe they come preloaded with topo maps.