PDA

View Full Version : Gemini meteors were awesome!!!

forestgnome
12-14-2009, 07:13 PM
Did you go out last night? Wow! Beautiful show!!! I saw nearly 200 shooters in about three hours. The sky was clear, with a few clouds flying around. The fresh snow on the trees added a nice touch.

Here's the best fireball that I caught. The stars trailed just a bit in this 30" exposure so I wish I went only 20"-25". Still quite nice. It flashed from near Orion's feet down toward the horizon, behind a cloud then emerging again.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l190/forestgnome/IMG_0397aaa.jpg

KathyC
12-14-2009, 07:31 PM
It was cloudy here, as usual.........:(

Charlie
12-14-2009, 08:32 PM
thanks it was clear at 9pm went back out at 10 pm and nothing but clouds
your picture looks nice

CHRIS
12-15-2009, 06:34 AM
Very nice. Thanks for sharing with us.

Snow Miser
12-15-2009, 07:30 AM
Nice picture Patrick! It sounds like you had a great show. As Charlie mentioned above, the curtain to the show closed for us in PA. Thanks for sharing yours.:)

1HappyHiker
12-15-2009, 08:38 PM
Simply stunning, Patrick! Thank you so much for posting this!

alora7
12-23-2009, 12:33 PM
Thanks Patrick -- another great photo! After a rain soaking earlier, Southern Maine had clear skies and relatively balmy temperatures (about 38 degrees F) when I awoke around 2AM to view the meteor shower.

Spectacular! I was outside for about an hour and saw probably 30 meteors shooting out from all directions. One seemed to streak down to the ocean, maybe that was the one in your photo!

There was also the intermittent glow of a distant lightning storm moving off the coast towards the Northeast. During the time I was outside, the warm front exited, the temperature dropped several degrees and a light wind picked up bringing a chill in from the West.

It was definitely worth getting out of bed early, really an enchanting experience, and I feel very fortunate to have had clear skies for this!

forestgnome
01-03-2010, 05:20 AM
Thanks Patrick -- another great photo! After a rain soaking earlier, Southern Maine had clear skies and relatively balmy temperatures (about 38 degrees F) when I awoke around 2AM to view the meteor shower.

Spectacular! I was outside for about an hour and saw probably 30 meteors shooting out from all directions. One seemed to streak down to the ocean, maybe that was the one in your photo!

There was also the intermittent glow of a distant lightning storm moving off the coast towards the Northeast. During the time I was outside, the warm front exited, the temperature dropped several degrees and a light wind picked up bringing a chill in from the West.

It was definitely worth getting out of bed early, really an enchanting experience, and I feel very fortunate to have had clear skies for this!

Thanks much, and glad you were out there. I enjoy your description of the atmosperic happenings, as if you are describing a chain of events. Great observing and reporting!

happy trails :)

alora7
01-06-2010, 08:21 AM
Thanks Patrick! You mentioned the NTA showers back in November, and that was a new one for me; however -- I have viewed most of the major ones in the last few years.

I actually see "shooting stars" quite frequently here in Southern Maine, probably due to darker skies in my immediate area (on the coast, with lots of conservation land around me).

In many places, dark skies are another one of our disappearing resources, unfortunately. I am so grateful that you and the other photographers that post in the forums here can capture the beauty of nature to share with those who can't readily access these wonders.