PDA

View Full Version : Beacons?

TeleBob
12-16-2009, 07:51 AM
Just a quick question, (and maybe this has been discussed in the past) but in the Backcountry Conditions report, when full winter gear is suggested with snowshoes, crampons and axes why are Beacons or PLD's not mentioned. In light of the repeated annual deaths on Mount Hood and the money spent on finding so called "experienced mountaineers" why would you not suggest Beacons?

JimS
12-16-2009, 11:58 AM
It's a good question, and certainly, beacons are useful when you get into trouble no matter where you are, but quite simply, this isn't Mount Hood...and the northeast 'wilderness' is nowhere near as vast, or contain as many hazards as hood.

Northeast trails are usually well marked tunnels through the woods, where well packed snow is followed from point a to point b. There is very little terrain where people wander, and would need to be found off trail.

File a good itinerary, stick to it, and people will know where to find you...

Just my thoughts...

Bill O
12-16-2009, 08:27 PM
It is actually a good question. That list obviously isn't comprehensive (it leaves out stuff like socks, boots, mittens, water bottle, etc.). It's more of a conditions report, stating whether or not you are in a summer or winter regime. It's not telling you what to bring as much as it's saying you aren't going to get out of the parking lot without these items.

TeleBob
12-18-2009, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I do realize the fact that Mount Washington isn't as big its western counterparts, but get up there in full winter white-out conditions and I bet you couldn't tell the difference. Likewise, my mom always told me to wear clean underwear, and most times I do, but that's been quite some time ago. Everyone needs a reminder now and then. I just think that with some of the newer inexpensive technology that has been developed over the past few years, getting lost could be minimized. Either that or speed up the rescue efforts and reduce the amount of money (our money) spent looking for people. Some souls were just ment to get lost! Let them die with smiles and dreams, I have enough books.