PDA

View Full Version : Fiber to the home project in Bretton Woods

Patrad Fischroy
12-18-2009, 02:22 PM
A little out from left field ,but let me explain.
I just read that the government just awarded funding under the stimulus plan for a fiber to the home project for Bretton Woods, NH. I wonder if this will provide the infrastructure so that the Obs can hook the fiber that they ran along with the power lines last year up to a a nice and wide band connection to the world. Just think, no more iced up microwave antennae.

Brad
12-18-2009, 06:59 PM
Would be nice

Knapper
12-19-2009, 04:10 PM
That's good news for the people in B-Woods but the fiber has already be hooked up to the line to the summit this past summer. This has allowed internet and cable TV to run to the summit for State Park. But at the time, we will not be hooking into the FiOS line for internet for three reasons: its surprisingly slower than our wireless link, it costs more, and its even more unrealiable then our wireless link. The reason its unrealiable is because if a problem occurs similar to the power line, it is a low priority for them to fix since we are basicly one of only a handful of people along the Cog road using it. So if Bretton Woods loses power or internet the same time we do, the companies will fix the populated areas first and get to us as time allows. Plus the cog road isn's usually cleared in the winter very frequently slowing things down. Where as if something is wrong with our wireless link, we know the problem is either here or in Conway. But we are working on a wireless backup so no worries. And maybe in time, we will consider using the FiOS line.

RI Swamp Yankee
12-19-2009, 05:21 PM
If you could get "dark fiber" I could build a Sonet ring that does not rely on anyone else's power.

Patrad Fischroy
12-21-2009, 08:58 AM
I guess it depends on whether it is an aerial installation or an underground one. It is surprising that this service wold be slower. I can understand not jumping right on this sort of thing at first until a pattern of reliability can be determined. I would however, look into it as a backup, althought eh expense factor can never be overlooked.

spyboy
12-21-2009, 01:09 PM
What about using it as a backup (either 2nd or 3rd level backup)?

I've seen some nice commercial routers that can take multiple WAN connections and load balance between, and auto fallover when one of the connections goes down.

Brad
12-21-2009, 08:21 PM

I've seen some nice commercial routers that can take multiple WAN connections and load balance between, and auto fallover when one of the connections goes down.
Yes, that is how all our connections were set up at the bank.

Patrad Fischroy
12-22-2009, 08:30 AM

All well and good, dependability, extra bandwidth and all, but I am sure that it all comes down to dollars and cents. If the existing system is good enough for the needs of the Obs and operates in a cost effective way, and as Ryan says is cheaper than the fiber alternative then that is the best system for the time being. There probably will be some testing and use going on with the State Park, or if the local provider has any smarts, they will offer up their line for testing. And somewhere down the line it may become a better alternative.

Brad
12-22-2009, 08:55 AM
I work with several different companies who provide special pricing to non-profits - and they probably get extra business because of it.