PDA

View Full Version : January 1st, 2nd & 3rd

adknight
12-26-2009, 03:31 PM
I had planned to do the Presi Traverse with another climber who has just backed out leaving me with only four days to plan an alternate trip (three of which I will be working). I'm looking for suggestions and people who would like to come out and climb, even if it is only for a day.

I'll be leaving Toronto on the 30th and will be available on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd. I want to climb in the Presidentials but am open to suggestions.

One day I was thinking about climbing Mount Adams via the Airline Trail, then traversing to Madison to grab the summit, back across to Adams and to Jefferson to grab it's summit before decending back down the Airline Trail once again to the trailhead.

I would also like to knockoff Washington again.

At any rate, I'll be prepared for both single day trips or even a multiday. I have everything I need and do have some experience already. It'd make for a more enjoyable time with company however.

KD Talbot
12-28-2009, 05:49 PM
You may not get many takers here but I would suggest checking out the "open calls" sections of these websites:

http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5

I see a Northern Presi trip there. You have to be sponsored to join that website, but if you show up they'll accept you into the group like an old friend and someone will sponsor you if you want to join the website. Most people just lurk to see what is going on.

This site I think you can just join:

http://www.rocksontop.com/rocks/viewforum.php?f=11

There is also this website. It has proven invaluable in it's short existence:

http://newenglandtrailconditions.com/

KDT

adknight
01-02-2010, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the info KD, I'll be certain to check it out.

This trip ended up being kind of a bust for me. I spent 12 hours driving down there on December 31st and arrived at the Cog at 7:00pm. The weather forcast looked less than positive, so rather than get some much needed rest I suited up and left the Cog before 8:00pm. I followed the cog railway straight up to save myself some time and although it is quite steep I still managed to summit at 11:58pm (on December 31st). So I did in fact make one of my trip goals to summit Washington to ring in the new year ... it would have been nicer if I was actually with someone to share it with.

http://untamedadventures.ca/photos/web-2009 12 31 007.jpg

Coming down was far less fun and the only photos I managed to take were a few of me on the summit. I was upset to leave NH two days early but the road conditions were expected to become quite bad so I cut my losses and returned home. Over 24 hours of driving for one climb but that's the way she goes I guess. I'll look forward to my next trip down there ... I still need to grab Jefferson, Adams and Madison.

TrishandAlex
01-02-2010, 02:39 PM
Congratulations on your hike! Ascending Washington in the middle of the night is no mean feat -- you are one strong dude.

I know you didn't get all the peaks you wanted, but I still think you quite quite a lot accomplished!

mtruman
01-02-2010, 09:46 PM
24 hours of driving is indeed a lot for one hike, but you certainly made it a good one! Standing on the summit to ring in the New Year is not something that many can claim on their list of accomplishments. Good for you! Too bad that you couldn't have had someone to share the climb with. Hopefully next time. By the way, you've done something to make yourself stand out even more (at least in my book) with your profile "about me" statement - "I'm a daddy first and a climber second". Now those are the right priorities...

Snow Miser
01-03-2010, 10:02 AM
Wow, that must have been one awesome climb to ring in the New Year! Congratulations. Thanks for posting.:)

krummholz
01-03-2010, 06:30 PM
I hope you're glad about what you did accomplish instead of thinking too much about what you didn't. I've had some lonely hikes where I didn't accomplish what I set out to do, for various reasons. Those hikes are hard for two reasons: you're by yourself, and you feel disappointed with yourself at the same time. I did a solo hike up the Falling Waters trail last winter and turned back at Little Haystack because the winds were pretty strong rather than continuing on to Lincoln and/or Lafayette. Later I found out from trip reports that several people had traversed the whole ridge that same day despite the gusty winds. I felt like a fool. Yet after a while I realized that I had taken some great pictures and gotten some serious exercise, and so maybe it wasn't a total waste after all. You did something pretty challenging in getting up there in the dark. It may look better and better to you in retrospect as time goes on.

MelNino
01-03-2010, 09:01 PM
What a way to ring in the New Year!!! Thank you for sharing, that is a great picture.

One of these days, I will do more snow hikes...I admire anyone who does Washington in the snow, esp at night.

adknight
01-04-2010, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the kind words folks. It is most certainly appreciated.

.. and Krumm, yes, that is typical of myself. I set big challenges for myself and expect a lot. I know I won't make all the peaks in a given trip but I was hoping to stay down there a bit longer to make that horribly long drive worthwhile. Another downer was that I love photography and would have liked to have been able to take a bunch of photos of the surrounding mountains and such, but given my window of time and the weather is just was not practical.

Maybe I need to come down to New Hampshire for an entire week ... yes, I think I will have to book a week long trip down there, hopefully while the weather is still cold and messy since that is the way I like it.

Rjconway
01-04-2010, 03:40 PM
Hey man sick picture. I was down at Harvard Cabin ringing in the new year. Sucks to hear about your partner bailing out on you, Ive dealt with that a lot myself. Sounds like his name could have been Chris. Look forward to more of your reports in the furure

adknight
01-04-2010, 05:19 PM
Sucks to hear about your partner bailing out on you, Ive dealt with that a lot myself. Sounds like his name could have been Chris.It is very funny you should mention that name.

KathyC
01-04-2010, 07:35 PM
I am not a hiker, so perhaps I do not understand. But, I have to ask this question...

Isn't it Really Dangerous to hike by yourself, at night and in bad weather?

Just curious for peoples opinions.

Charlie
01-04-2010, 08:43 PM
I am not a hiker, so perhaps I do not understand. But, I have to ask this question...

Just curious for peoples opinions.

yes it is from my point of view as a member of a search & rescue team but if you have a lot of trail time ,knowing what your doing , when to stop and the right equipment along you should be safe .

akdnijht you should try to come up to seek the peak in July and say hi to all of us

Rjconway
01-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Haha I figured it was. Used to do a lot with him in the past years, but too many things happened like your situation. Regardless, congrats on the midnight summit.

adknight
01-05-2010, 06:19 PM

Just curious for peoples opinions.Hi Kathy, to answer your question(s) in a word ... yes. However, as Charlie also mentioned despite the dangers, having some prior experience, the proper equipment (knowing how to use said equipment and it's limitations), in addition to some knowledge of the terrain and possible weather you may encounter can make for a much safer outing.

... and Charlie, getting time off work during the summer is usually quite difficult but if I have the chance to come down during that time I'd be more than happy to. I love the Whites and still have so many of them to climb.

KathyC
01-05-2010, 08:18 PM
Thank you for taking the time to answer, I didn't want to ruffle any feathers in here...:rolleyes: