PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Goals for 2010

BlueDog
12-30-2009, 08:55 PM
Looking back on TrishandAlex's thread from last year (http://www.mountwashington.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4464), it seems like its time to start a similar thread for 2010.

Those who posted their goals, how'd you do? What's your goals for the upcoming year?

2010 Hiking Goals

March 2010, Georgia hike on the A.T.
June 2010, Return to Yosemite NP to hike Mt Dana (first 13k+ peak) and Half Dome again
July 2010, Seek the Peak, Mt Washington, NH
Sept 2010, Flag on the 48, NH
Weekends hikes in the Shenandoah NP, George Washington NF, Dolly Sods WV

I'm also researching hikes in Newfoundland, Canada and Zion NP, but don't know if I'll get those in this year.

I'm also planning on becoming involved in my local ATC chapter on trail crews or shelter building to start earning my "good trail karma" in preparation for a possible thru-hike in 2011.

Considering taking courses to get my Winderness First Aid certification that is needed for some mountaineering courses and thinking about trying to do some trail guide volunteering.

For 2009, I was able to check off a good amount of my goals:

:D ACCOMPLISHED! Yosemite National Park to hike up Half Dome, Clouds Rest and other spots. Looking at spending several days in the park backcountry hiking/camping.
A winter/snow hike of Mount Washington. Not sure when yet.
:D ACCOMPLISHED! Seek the Peak 09
:D ACCOMPLISHED! Start section hiking the Appalachian Trail.
I'd love to do a Presidential Traverse at some point this year.
:D ACCOMPLISHED! I'm sure I'll spend some time in the Shenandoah National Park which is pretty much my backyard.

d.b.cooperisalive
12-30-2009, 09:13 PM
After having open heart surgery in Sept, my goal is to hike Mount washington.

Anna LeBlanc
12-30-2009, 09:20 PM

I think that 's a great goal d.b.Perhaps you should start out with some slightly less agressive hikes first and work your way up to the Rockpile.

How much mountain hiking have you done in the past?I'd like to know what your doctor thinks.We want you around to give us alot of great TR's.:)

Anna

BlueDog
12-30-2009, 09:36 PM

My father had open heart surgery 1-2 years ago. After that, he set a goal of loosing weight and getting in shape.

This past September he went with me to climb Lafayette, his first real hike since he climbed the same mountain 40 years prior.

Several days before the hike, he actually climbed Washington via Boot Spur, stayed the night at Lake of the Clouds and then climbed down Tuckermans. A days rest we went and tackled Lafayette.

(Photos and story here. (http://www.mountwashington.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5422))

MelNino
12-30-2009, 10:55 PM
Katahdin

Mount Washington again....this time I'm getting down on my feet!!

More of the 48 4000'

More of CT AT

Back to Mount Everett....I need to get over my dislike of said mountain.

Snow Miser
12-31-2009, 11:21 AM
My 2010 hiking goals are pretty basic.

do a lot of hiking along the AT here in PA and NJ
do STP10 in July
hopefully get time off work to do Flags on the 48 in Sept
get up to NH in Oct for a hike during the fall foliage

Anna LeBlanc
12-31-2009, 04:51 PM
For 2010:

Get in as many hikes anywhere as possible.We got rained out so many times in 2009 all we did were 6 hikes :mad:

Try to get Nigel to summit another 4,000 footer(He's done Mt Pierce with us)

Be able to get some nice photos on our hikes and do a good job with our TR'S.

Meet some of the forum members on the trail:)

Anna

KathyC
12-31-2009, 05:10 PM
One of my MANY goels is to just start hiking. Not sure how much is here in NJ, might have to drive up to Bear Mt. in NY State. And I need to find a hiking buddy...

d.b.cooperisalive
12-31-2009, 06:11 PM
I never hiked before but I am going to attempt hiking Mt Washington. My doctor said there is no reason I couldn't do this. In the spring I will be starting with small hikes and then work up to my washington hike in July - August. I have been walking 3-6 miles on roads 4-5 days a week for rehab. I realize walking a road is a lot different then walking Washington but I feel this is a good start. Having just having open heart surgery, I am not afraid of turning around and not finishing if it doesn't work out but it's my goal to finish. This is my goal and I hope to accomplish this.

mtruman
12-31-2009, 06:48 PM
Many 2010 goals. Here's a rough sketch:

- Several winter hikes in the Whites. As many times as we can make it up north. Trails and peaks TBD.

- Among the winter hikes in the Whites hoping for a long weekend for my birthday in March at one of the AMC lodges (Cardigan, Highland or Joe Dodge).

- Spring weekend in late May or early June with a stay at Lakes and a day in Monroe Flats and the Alpine Garden.

- Spring backpack to the Baldies with Tim, Val, Kevin, Judy and Emma to make up for the one we missed due to the weather this fall.

- Six glorious days in Yosemite in June. No specific trails or peaks determined yet - so many to choose from.

- A week of "urban hiking" in San Francisco following Yosemite. Perhaps the best walking city in the world!

- Seek the Peak in July with hopefully a couple of other days of hiking while we are there.

- Day or weekend trips to the Whites during the rest of the summer and fall with a hope to knock off at least 7-8 more of the 4K we haven't got yet.

- A few days in Baxter in September to celebrate Natalie's 50th birthday (wait, was that 40th??). Katahdin certainly at the top of the list (Nat wants drag me over the Knife Edge). Other peaks TBD.

- Hopefully a couple of late fall / early winter hikes in the Whites to get our first taste of snow before 2011 rolls around.

Whewww. Feels like a long list (although this year's wound up being much longer than we had ever imagined).

Hope everyone has a wonderful hiking year!!!

Anna LeBlanc
12-31-2009, 07:18 PM
I never hiked before but I am going to attempt hiking Mt Washington. My doctor said there is no reason I couldn't do this. In the spring I will be starting with small hikes and then work up to my washington hike in July - August. I have been walking 3-6 miles on roads 4-5 days a week for rehab. I realize walking a road is a lot different then walking Washington but I feel this is a good start. Having just having open heart surgery, I am not afraid of turning around and not finishing if it doesn't work out but it's my goal to finish. This is my goal and I hope to accomplish this.

The very best of luck to you d.b.I hope all your dreams and goals are fulfilled.:)

Anna

Snow Miser
12-31-2009, 08:00 PM
One of my MANY goels is to just start hiking. Not sure how much is here in NJ, might have to drive up to Bear Mt. in NY State. And I need to find a hiking buddy...

Kathy, there's a lot of nice places to hike in the northern part of your state. Some of the mountains there are pretty decent. Two places I have hiked are High Point State Park and Stokes State Forest. It's a beautiful area and you would never know you are in NJ.

Charlie
12-31-2009, 09:29 PM
well the big one is to go to the to again for STP 2010
and any other one that is to come along

TrishandAlex
01-01-2010, 08:18 AM
My goals for last year were accomplished -- I think I came close to averaging on 4K a week last year. Maybe I didn't do that exactly, but...close enough.
Alex finished the NH48 in August, reaching her goal of finishing the list before she turned seven.

This year, I'd like to:

Do 6-8 more winter peaks with Alex.
Get Sage out there in winter (Bald Mountain, something very small)
Do a couple of hut stays with each of my daughters
Average one 4K each week

Perhaps also do a winter camping trip, but I may delay that until next year.

FisherCat
01-02-2010, 09:28 AM
We're keeping our goals pretty simple too. If I had one outlandish goal, it would be to do STP10 in my old Living History gear. Problem is that since most of that gear had to be custom made by hand, your average Living History outfit for the 1700's costs about $2000. One would want to have good weather and since we all know that there is no guarantee for that with Mt W, I will probably just lurk through some lower mountains in the gear.

Anyway, we have our trailwork plans, a long weekend in early June (before school is out, love it), a week at the end of June-early July, and then my personal favorite, a long weekend in October. That is my favorite weekend for trailwork. Michele and I will spend a week getting her more 4K's, a two night take-our-time hike of Garfield, Galehead, the Twins, the Bonds, and Zealand. We'll bag some more on certain days. I'm pleased that our efforts in convincing other members of her family as well as friends we have made down here to go hiking in NH have finally paid off. At least 4 have agreed to come with us and are excited about it. Two are in better shape than the others and are coming one week where we hit the trails hard, then one of my wife's sisters (there's five of them) and her husband are joining us on a seperate trip. We'll also be back on Labor Day weekend too. Then there's my nephew's graduation (GHS, he's a Huskie), geez...its endless. On the whole I spend about 6 weeks a year back home in NH but its the only way I can survive living down here.

We'll be starting the year going to VT to visit another one of Michele's sisters, ( we haven't been to VT in about 10 years) do some skiing and snowshoeing, so that will get it off to a good start. Everyone have a healthy and safe 2010 on the trails!

MelNino
01-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Well, I think my training will start tomorrow......going to the gym after work....will try to get 3 days in this week...Thurs I'm getting a tooth yanked for I'll be out of it for a few days afterward.

Addicted
01-04-2010, 01:01 PM
My goal is to conquer 12 more of the 4000 footers. I'm only 1/4 of the way through, and want to finish them on my 40th birthday. I also would like to do STP, but may have some health changes coming up this year that may prevent that, but we'll see.

faegilr
01-04-2010, 01:56 PM
My goals this year are:

STP 10
Tom, Field, and Willey
Moosilauke
Hale
Waumbek
Whiteface

And then any other mountain I can do off of the 4000 footer list. I've done most of the more accessible summits already but I would love to knock off 10 mountains this year.

Tim&Val
01-04-2010, 05:06 PM
My hiking goals for 2010....

1. Don't let work overwhelm me. Plan vacation days to hike - every other Tuesday is what I'm doing for the winter. As well as 1 day on the weekend.

2. Do some spring hiking with my sister and nephew - training him for his first trip up MW this summer. He'll be 11.

3. Get that backpacking trip in with the Talbots and the Trumans!

4. STP in July

5. FOT48 in September

6. We've just started looking seriously at doing the Seasonal NH48 (48 x 4seasons). We've done about half so far, and it looks like it will be a productive winter - I say with fingers crossed. If we could just stop DUPLICATING the winter summits, we'd get there much faster. And for Trish and other Grid-seekers out there, Tim has started making statements like "Yeah, we have it for winter, but we don't have it for January". That can only mean one thing... :eek:

Valerie