PDA

View Full Version : Group to climb Mt. Washington early 2010

llong
01-01-2010, 09:55 AM
Hello!

I'm a beginning climber (in "very good" if not "excellent" physical shape) from New York looking to join a group to climb Mount Washington. Not super concerned with the route. I can join a group or if none exists, I can organize it.

Looking for any advice in terms of joining or organizing such a group. I'm flexible regarding timing.

llong
01-10-2010, 09:47 AM
OK, looks like no one's interested (or I'm in the wrong forum!), so I'll stop checking it.

If someone finds this thread over the next couple months, feel free to email me directly.

Thanks!

JimS
01-10-2010, 06:32 PM
Hi,

As you've found, probably not going to have much luck finding a partner on this forum...just not that many die hard winter climbers on here.

For your first time on Washington, I would highly recommend a guide. Their prices are very fair in the Whites, and the depth of knowledge you gain on a hike with them will more than prepare you for a second hike on your own.

Some local services:
http://www.ime-usa.com/imcs/index.html
http://emsclimb.com/
http://www.mooneymountainguides.com/
http://www.chauvinguides.com/
http://climbwithjoe.com/

Best of luck!

llong
02-07-2010, 06:41 PM
Hello! Thank you for your message. I must apologize; when I wrote 'early 2010' I most definitely didn't mean the winter months. Which season of course the early months are, so again apologies.

As a rather prudent first time Mt. Washington climber, I should probably climb in the late Spring (May or June). Does that sound like a reasonable good time? I don't think I'd need a guide then.

Perhaps now I'll garner more interest!

:)

Charlie
02-07-2010, 07:25 PM
if you wait until July for Seek the Peak there will be a lot of people hiking up that day

Snow Miser
02-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Charlie's right. If you hike during Seek the Peak, there will be many groups to hike with. Of course, you could do May or June, and come back in July.

adknight
02-10-2010, 06:27 PM
I got excited when I read "early 2010" ... winter is the only way to go my friend. Freezing fog, snow storms, deep powder snow, ice ... it's beautiful and the best way (IMO) to experience any mountain. Summer is too easy mate, challenge yourself!

lobo
02-10-2010, 06:41 PM
Hello! Thank you for your message. I must apologize; when I wrote 'early 2010' I most definitely didn't mean the winter months. Which season of course the early months are, so again apologies.

As a rather prudent first time Mt. Washington climber, I should probably climb in the late Spring (May or June). Does that sound like a reasonable good time? I don't think I'd need a guide then.

Perhaps now I'll garner more interest!

:)
I will be climbing Mt. Washington on May 8th. I have climbed it a few times years ago. You could join me if you'd like. I will be there on the 9th as well in case the weather is bad on the 8th. PM me if you're interested

llong
02-15-2010, 02:08 PM
I got excited when I read "early 2010" ... winter is the only way to go my friend. Freezing fog, snow storms, deep powder snow, ice ... it's beautiful and the best way (IMO) to experience any mountain. Summer is too easy mate, challenge yourself!

I'd love to go in February or March. I started preparing (exercise, cold conditioning, reading, etc.) about 3 months ago so I'm quite ready. However, during those months, I think it's safer to go as a group (plus it's more fun!). Years ago I climbed Mount Moosilauke with a group of 7. Far better experience.

Do you know if anyone's going up over the next 2 months or so?

adknight
02-15-2010, 05:52 PM
Do you know if anyone's going up over the next 2 months or so?I was down there this weekend and did Jefferson. I may be going down there again in March but I have to talk to the bosses first. You willing to do Adams and Madison or are you hell bent on Washington?

llong
02-15-2010, 08:29 PM
I like your spirit. :)

I decided to Just Do It this Thursday and Friday, with the EMS group as an overnight. The weather is currently sane, which means exactly nothing, but like you said, why not challenge myself?

Tomorrow I'm going to the NYC EMS store and going to drop a lot of money on the mandatory items. The only thing I don't have to buy is the backpack. Yikes.

I'll report back. I hope!

climbabout
02-16-2010, 07:33 AM
I will be on that trip with you. I've done the obs overnight many times - and have never gotten tired of it - you will surely enjoy it.
Tim

llong
02-16-2010, 09:28 AM
Great to hear that an experienced guy is going Tim. I tried to PM you, but it didn't seem to go. Maybe I have too few posts to PM people. Dunno.

Is there anything on the EMS list I wouldn't need to bring? Right now, all I've got is a Navy wool sweater and a backpack. Anything I should bring that's not on the list? I'v e got the 20% discount so that will 'save' me some money. Let me know if you need anything too.

I'm renting a car to drive up with the aim of arriving around 2pm-ish and can pick you up if you need.

Thanks,
Lester

climbabout
02-16-2010, 02:29 PM
L -
Their list is pretty much right on the money - bring everything on it and little else. The optional items are your choice. I bring an ipod for night, and I like to bring a hot drink for the climb up.

As far as issues, the guides will keep a close eye on you. Biggest challenge for a first timer is wearing the proper clothing at the proper time - don't get overheated and sweaty down low. Start a little cold - you can always add a layer.
For food - bring stuff you can grab and eat with your gloves on - I usually bring some cold pizza, sandwich, bagel or tortilla with peanut butter on it - sometimes some trailmix in a small widemouth nalgene - pop the top and you can just pour a little in your mouth. Bring foods that won't freeze solid and will stay relatively soft. Powerbars will freeze unless you keep them warm. You can keep flat food items from freezing by putting them between a nalgene filled with a warm drink and an insulator. I like hot tea with honey or hot apple cider mix - or even cup o soup on occasion.

Thanks for the offer on the discount and ride, but I'm all set.

Tim

llong
02-16-2010, 03:52 PM
Thanks Tim. I went to EMS and bought almost everything on the list. They didn't have balaclavas so I bought one at the local bike shop. They didn't think I needed a face mask since I'll have a balaclava, ski goggles, and a hat.

See you tomorrow, God willing.

climbabout
02-16-2010, 04:14 PM
L - the neoprene facemask is perhaps the most important piece of equipment, unless the balaclava you bought has an integrated neoprene lower mask that goes over your nose. Chances are you won't ever take it out of your pack, but if the temps are low and the wind picks up, you can get frostbite in a hurry. This can be a merciless mountain. I'll bring my spare if you don't get up there in time. There's plenty of places in north conway to buy one just get there before the stores close tommorrow night. You can also call the AMC shop at the Joe Dodge lodge in Pinkham Notch - I'm fairly certain they have them. We start from there Thursday morning - if they have it you'll have a chance to buty it there.
Tim

llong
02-16-2010, 07:52 PM
Tim,

I spent the day looking for one to no avail. I hope arrive early enough to buy one (about 2 or 3pm) in North Conway.

climbabout
02-16-2010, 08:03 PM
That will give you plenty of time. You can find anything you need for climbing at several places in North Conway.
Tim

llong
02-16-2010, 09:49 PM
Thanks Tim. Do most people stay at a hotel on the night of? Or do they rough it and sleep in their car? Is there parking up there for the full 3 days?

Sorry for all the questions. I called EMS today like 12 times with only one answer.

climbabout
02-17-2010, 06:43 AM
Plenty of motels/hotels in North Conway area. I would assume that is most peoples choice. The Amc has a lodge - and bunkrooms right at the base of the mountain - plenty of parking - no time limit.
Tim

llong
02-17-2010, 07:22 AM
Thanks Tim. Leaving to get the car now!

BlueDog
02-17-2010, 12:51 PM
I'll be interested to hear how this goes. I've been trying to reach the EMSClimb folks to see if there are openings for the three-day mountaineering course soon.

For a facemask, I've been reading really good things about the ColdAvenger (http://www.talusoutdoor.com/coldavenger). Its a bit pricey, but might consider picking one up.

llong
02-19-2010, 10:44 PM
Just got back from the overnight stay at Mount Washington. This is a brief summary of the climb.

There were 7 of us that made the summit, with 2 EMS guides. I lucked out; of the 7, only one other hadn't climbded Mount Washington, and that gentleman had climbed Denali I believe. So the company was excellent; everyone got along and made friends quickly. I was by far the most green of the group. High temps were around 15-18 on the ascend. Winds were at about 35mph, with gusts at 50mph. Visibility was at about 300 feet on the summit. Spending the night at the Observatory was a wonderful change from the punishing ascent. Surreal. The food and company were unsurpassed. The descent today was far faster than I expected. Took 3 hours in total. It was much clearer, but more windy and colder.

Here are some basic pics. I'm sure Tim or I will post more soon!

Brad
02-20-2010, 06:07 AM
Glad you had a good time

llong
02-27-2010, 07:13 AM
Tim, did you get any pics from Rick or Bruce?