PDA

View Full Version : How to have fun on a winter hike

krummholz
01-05-2010, 04:36 PM
People here might get a kick out of this writeup I did about winter hiking. Don't take it too seriously.
http://streamsandforests.wordpress.com/2010/01/05/how-to-have-fun-on-a-winter-hike

Enjoy!

TrishandAlex
01-05-2010, 06:05 PM
Excellent write-up! I especially like number 4 -- so true!

Addicted
01-06-2010, 03:18 PM
Hilarious, and sooooooo true!

Brad
01-06-2010, 10:33 PM
#2 - I think the North Woods look is best. But if you want to stay warm, go the other way.

krummholz
01-07-2010, 10:22 AM
Thanks for your comments, folks! Regarding Brad's comment, I'm actually kind of a hybrid of those two types I mentioned, the "X-treme Sport" and the "North Woods." I have a Gore-Tex shell, but wear wool for at least one of my layers because I believe wool is far warmer than fleece. And I have always used Sorel boots and strap-on crampons, even for going up the winter Lion's Head trail.:)

Tim&Val
01-08-2010, 06:03 AM
Great write-up! You wouldn't think you should have to say it, but when it comes to the hand-warmers - you are right-on! It does no good to have them with you if your fingers are no longer functioning to open them! We consider them a cost of the trip - just like the gas to get to the trailhead. We open them and put them in our pockets before we leave the car. Sometimes we need them, sometimes we don't. Oh well. :p

1HappyHiker
01-08-2010, 09:28 AM
"5. Try to go far enough off trail that you don?t make yellow snow right next to the trail. If it is orange snow instead of yellow snow, drink more water. If you pee while wearing snowshoes, try not to pee on the snowshoes."
-------------------------------
Lots of good advice here! Guess I'd also include being careful to avoid peeing on the snowbasket at the tip of your trekking pole. That moisture seems to attract a snow/ice build-up long after the "wetting". And regarding the part about the orange/yellow snow, I once had a fellow tell me that if you turn the snow the color of Guiness beer, then you need to drink more (water that is). A more desirable shade is that of a light Chardonnay wine!:)

KD Talbot
01-11-2010, 05:25 PM
I enjoyed your article about winter hiking but was surprised to find your work on the Boer War. I don't mean to hijack the thread but my grandfather fought in this war. I have to admit I have very little knowledge of him, he passed away long before I was born, and I have less knowledge about the war itself. I will read your blog as soon as I can and will order your book as well, thanks!

KDT

krummholz
01-11-2010, 06:08 PM
Thanks for your interest, KDT. I'm wondering if your grandfather fought on the British side or the Boer side. Most Americans know absolutely nothing about this conflict. If you happen to be interested in going further with this obscure topic, you can contact me at the e-mail address shown on the righthand side of my blog underneath the "blogroll."