PDA

View Full Version : NWS Higher Summits Forecast

bclark
01-08-2010, 04:41 PM
I was made aware of this thread in the View from the Top forum today:

http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34010

Which references this announcement by the NWS regarding the recreational forecast they produce for the higher summits of northern NH and western ME (scroll down to the bottom of the linked page):

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/view/prodsByState.php?state=ME&prodtype=public

The reason I am posting this here is two fold:

1. People should do exactly what the announcement is asking and give the NWS their feedback. Obviously let them know if you use it and how, but also let them know if you don't and use ours instead.

2. I know there are several people on this forum that also participate in the VFT forums. I'm looking for one of those people to post in that thread (since I can't) and clear up the obvious confusion and/or misconceptions that people have about the 36 hour higher summits outlook the Observatory produces. The people on VFT seem to think that our forecast is either a reproduction of the NWS forecast or that they are somehow related. Of course, neither of those points are true. We create the forecast that we produce from scratch. Also, our forecast is for 36 hours (NWS' is only for 12) and we are confident that are forecast is generally more accurate because of the fact that the Observatory's meteorologists and observers know the weather on the mountain better than a forecaster in Gray, ME does.

Perhaps the person that does end up posting about this could also mention something about our non-profit status and how we produce our higher summits forecast for no cost to the mountain community.

Charlie
01-08-2010, 10:00 PM
it looks like they dont know about your higher summits outlook
so it might be good if the NWS drops it that way every one will look at the MWOBS

KD Talbot
01-12-2010, 05:40 PM
Thanks Brian for your response, I was hoping someone from the Obs would chime in. I sent it along to VFTT where there is a lot of confusion a lot of the time. ;)

KDT