PDA

View Full Version : Hermit Lake Shelter Area

dm0326
01-10-2010, 08:36 PM
A group of 4 of us are going to attempt a winter summit in mid-Feb. We are trying to decide where to make base camp, and we were wondering if anyone knows if the Hermit Lake Shelters are open during the winter months. If so, has anyone stayed in these shelters? What are the conditions, availability during the winter? We like the idea of being 2.4 miles towards Tuckerman's but wanted to know more info firsthand before making that decision. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Brad
01-11-2010, 01:42 PM
The shelters are a great way of getting a head start on summit day. They are open year round on a first come first served basis. There is a full time caretaker at cabin. The winter "toilets" are open.

mahony
01-12-2010, 12:41 PM
According to the AMC caretaker I spoke to in November the shelters are full on weekend during "ski" season from Jan through about June. I had jokingly said that the shelters must be packed all week in the summer and he said they are never full over the summer...even on holiday weekends!

So get your reservation early...especially if the snow is good.

dm0326
01-12-2010, 10:53 PM
Does anyone know if you can reserve a spot in the shelters? I was under the impression that they were first come, first serve. If I can reserve, that would be great.

Also, what is traffic like on Lions Head (winter trail) to the summit during the winter weekends? Are most of the people there to ski?

Again, thanks for any help!

mahony
01-13-2010, 07:17 AM
You can get "reservations" at Pinkham Notch Visitors Center (and pay there), but I think the reservations are for stays starting that night (i.e. no advance reservations). Trip reports and searches of Lions Head winter hikes show that there can be lines of climbers waiting to get up on busy weekends (This was a contributing factor to the disasterous 1996 climbing year on Everest:eek:).

Skiers will be out in force, but all of this depends upon the avalanche forecast, which is posted at PNVC.

Jason Carey
09-08-2010, 01:06 PM
Spent the weekend up here with my family while Mike was care taking. We played some acoustic music that we call the Acoustic Calling from Maine here at Hermit Lake Shelters. This place has been and always will be a huge part of what makes us the Careys! Thanks gang! http://kennebecconservatory.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Acoustic-Calling-Mt.-Washin-1.mp3
http://kennebecconservatory.com/acoustic-calling-images-from-mt-washington/100_6078/

We'll see you guys again soon. The choice for Maine musicians!

-Jason Carey
Kennebec Conservatory of Music
Augusta, ME
207 485 TUNE