PDA

View Full Version : re seek the peak article

David
01-12-2010, 10:15 AM
hello Everyone,

This past summer I participated in Seek the peak and enjoyed it very much. I raised 250 $ for the observatory.

Anyway, I am trying to write an article about the event. I was wondering if any of you are also participants or perhaps may have participated in the event multiple times.

If you are willing, I'd like to have a brief correspondence/interview with you via email or phone. I am interested in why you enjoy and support the event, what you personally got out of it, the social aspects, and so forth. I would be interested in communicating both with observatory staff members and seek the peek hikers. I am especially interested in hearing how the event has changed over the years and what brings new people in.

Thank you so much,

David

PS Feel free to reply here or to private message. Any contact info should be sent via private message.

BlueDog
01-13-2010, 11:41 AM
This year will be my 4th STP event. I come up from Virginia just to hike it.

There is a forum just for Seek the Peak here that you may find more responses in, along with individual reports from many of us on our hikes, along with pictures, etc.

KD Talbot
01-13-2010, 01:12 PM
I've been doing it with my wife and dog since its 2nd year. It's an annual pilgrimage we make. It has really grown since our first STP. Over the years many of the folks on this forum have joined us in making it an annual event.

For myself the reasons for doing it are varied, but mostly it is to give back to an Organization which has provided me, free of charge, with up to date weather reports which are invaluable in our mountain trip planning.

Beyond that, I have made many new friends and met some great people through this event. The mountain has become a passion of mine and it is always good to find people that share your interests.

Feel free to PM me and we can correspond.

KDT

mtruman
01-13-2010, 06:40 PM
My wife and I have done STP the last two years and our daughter joined us this year. It has been one of the top highlights of our hiking year both times.

We do it both because we love the hike and because the OBS is such a wonderful cause to support. It's also a great way to get together with many of our forum friends in person (on the trail, at the registration event, the dinner and the campground where many of us stay).

I'd also be glad to correspond with you with more details. PM me for my contact info.

Snow Miser
01-13-2010, 07:53 PM
STP 09 was the first year that I was able to participate in this really nice event. The Obs is a good cause, and I really look forward to doing it again this year. It was very nice to meet alot of the good people here on the forums, and I look forward to meeting them again, and many more this year. Feel free to PM me too. I will help you in any way I can.

David
01-14-2010, 08:40 AM
I have tried to contact each of you, well most of you, via private message. Something seems odd, in that the message disappears into the ether and doesn't appear in my sent folder. So I don't know if you ever got messages or not. KD Talbot did get my message and has responded.

Moreover, when I made the original post I could not find it for a day or so and then it appeared. In the chance event any moderator reads this could he/she please tell me what's happening? I have only recently registered and this thread is my first post.

David

Patrad Fischroy
01-14-2010, 09:45 AM
First posts are always delayed for a period to check if they are spammers. After that they should appear in realtime. At least that is how I understand it :confused: I can't speak to your issues with PM

See
http://www.mountwashington.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1164

for the official scoop.

CHRIS
01-14-2010, 10:30 AM
2010 will be my third STP and god willing my wifes 1st. I look forward to hiking it every year and I plan on doing the hike as long as I can. I have been drawn to Mt. Washington since I was a little kid. There is something very special about being on the summit. I really believe in what they do @ the Obs. PLease feel free to pm me any questions you may have.

BlueDog
01-14-2010, 12:24 PM
Daivd, Got both your PMs. Just need to find a break in my day to reply to you.

Hopefully you're planning on making it to STP10!

David
01-14-2010, 02:15 PM
Turns out I had to check a box to have sent message saved in sent folder. So I guess all is working after all.

David

Charlie
01-14-2010, 07:32 PM
this year will be my 3rd time and last year was a big one for me i made it to the top .my first year i got above the tree line and my legs cramped up and i had to go down .
i love that place

mtruman
01-15-2010, 07:51 AM
Not sure if you tried to PM me David but I never received anything. I've experienced occasional quirkiness with PMs in the past as well.

Brad
01-15-2010, 05:57 PM
STP is a major fund raising event for an organization that gives us a lot. As I said last year, we can be members of non-profit groups - we can make charitable donations to worthy causes - but, being involved with the Mt Washington Observatory is totally different. We get to be engaged with what they do - we can visit and see them in action - they open their doors and voices to tell us what is going on - we can communicate directly with the observers. The level of interaction is not there with other organizations.

Yes, they do great things - recording weather data - doing research - providing us with web cameras so we can see what is going on - put together ObsCast videos each week for us - and also provide some fantastic educational outreach programs. But, they also happen to sit on a mountain I have a strong emotional attraction to.

I first climbed Mt Washington as a 13 year old with a summer camp group. Ever since I have loved the mountain and have hiked to the summit many times (well over 50 at this point). I have been caught in heavy fog above treeline where you could just see your boots - have been in snow storms the first week of August up there - have had my breath blow back on my face and freeze in summer - experienced high winds and cold wind chills in summer. It is a special place with special conditions. Once you hike it, you want to go back.

So, my reasons for being in 3 STPs so far is I love the mountain and the organization. It is a chance for us to give back to the Observatory.

Charlie
01-15-2010, 08:35 PM
very well said Brad
we all have the same feeling about the OBS as you do a very good group of people here