PDA

View Full Version : Aerial Photos about Mt Washington 1/10/2010

Karl Swenson
01-12-2010, 11:23 PM
We flew to Mt Washington on Sunday. The slideshow starts on the western side of the Presidential Ridge flying SW to NE to the East side of Mt Washington. We orbited the Observatory, took a few pix and headed back.

The clouds obscured the bright Sun that was furthur South. Some of the pix are in flat light but you will get the feel of the birds eye view.

We were flying at approximately 9000 feet.

http://www.photoshop.com/user/Piper-Archer/?wf=share&galleryid=7d672e44d7a24d3b86f81605cb0ab794&trackingid=BTAGC

Please click on the blue rectangular icons for the full screen view.

freehill
01-12-2010, 11:43 PM
Really Sweet Pictures!!
It must have been a ball above Mt. Washington.
Thanks for showing them.

CHRIS
01-13-2010, 06:38 AM
That is definetly a different view. Great shots. Thanks for sharing.

Snow Miser
01-13-2010, 07:49 AM
Very nice slideshow of Mount Washington. Thanks for posting it.

Anna LeBlanc
01-13-2010, 05:08 PM
Thank you for bringing us those wonderful pictures Karl.

Anna

mtruman
01-13-2010, 06:48 PM
Fantastic shots Karl! Definitely many great perspectives on the mountain that we never see otherwise. The close-up shots of the summit are wonderful (not that the rest aren't). Please keep them coming!

Karl Swenson
01-13-2010, 07:24 PM
Thank you all for your kind comments.

It is an absolutely beautiful area. We were so excited going up that day as it was Sunny all over so you get crisp shots. Then, it may surprise all you regulars, the weather changed a bit with a high overcast.

We were aware, and anticipated it, but their were 40-50 mph NW winds coming over the mountain. We needed to pitch up strongly, (this climbs but reduces speed), and we still were getting 500 feet per minute downdrafts. You can only pitch up so much at full power before you stall. It was safe as we could always bail to the South.

If the prevailing winds are much stronger we generally stay to the Lee of the Mountain to avoid this Air flow over and down the mountain. The air flow acts like water, and can have giant rolling waves.

My only disappointment is the overcast made for fairly flat photos vs the fun contrast between Sun snow and rock. The OBS was kind enough to post one of the pix in the Jan 2010 file of photos. We were approx 2500 feet above the mountain top (primarily because of the downdrafts.

KD Talbot
01-13-2010, 08:22 PM
I recognized a lot of the terrain, and had to stop and think about some of them. The shots of Carrigain are great as well! You can see the tower on the summit! Thanks for sharing!

KDT

Karl Swenson
01-20-2010, 09:23 PM
I periodically fly up in the White Mountains.

Do you have requests of specific areas that you would like to see?

I think I am going to get into serious hiking, but the time being its from the air. If you can reference a map or lat/long or google it might help me.

If you were a "bird", where would you go and when (time of day) and what would you want to see?

Bill O
01-20-2010, 10:03 PM
I periodically fly up in the White Mountains.

Do you have requests of specific areas that you would like to see?

I think I am going to get into serious hiking, but the time being its from the air. If you can reference a map or lat/long or google it might help me.

If you were a "bird", where would you go and when (time of day) and what would you want to see?

I'd love to see aerial photos of the major winter climbing routes.

Caffeine Addict
01-20-2010, 11:21 PM
seems the link is no good anymore

parnelli
01-21-2010, 06:59 AM
seems the link is no good anymore

just viewed the slideshow (link working for me)

NEpilot
01-30-2010, 09:31 PM
Karl -

Nice photos! I've always chickened out flying over Washington after going to Nashua once for some Indian food and the wind over the hill conspiring to make me almost come up short! Just something about being full throttle pitched up and still going DOWN with the ground getting closer leaves an impression.

Can you recommend a good 100 dollar hamburger up in that part of the state?

-Chris