PDA

View Full Version : Lonesome Lake Info

Addicted
01-13-2010, 10:35 AM
Anyone been up around the Lonesome Lake area recently? We plan on a little warm up snowshoe hike on Saturday up to Lonesome Lake. Just wondering if snowshoes are necessary, or microspikes? Any other info about the short hike in would be appreciated too! Thanks

KD Talbot
01-13-2010, 12:54 PM
This is a well trodden trail and since the hut is open in winter I can pretty much assure you that the trail will be well packed unless we get a good snowfall between now and then, which isn't in the forecast.

My bet is that microspikes will be fine, though you may want snowshoes on the lake if snow has drifted. Most people leave the trail and cut straight across the lake this time of year so there is always a wide path broken out to the hut.

Here are some resources you will find useful in planning your trips, but beware: reading a trail conditions report on the web is not a substitute for common sense. There are currently people posting false reports. Use these as a tool to make your plans, but don't rely on them exclusively. Always have a back-up plan.

http://www.newenglandtrailconditions.com/nh/

And here:

http://trailsnh.com/

KDT

Addicted
01-13-2010, 03:20 PM
Can you hike around the lake? One map looked like the trail went around the lake to the hut, but not a full loop (which just seems silly). I would actually love to try out my microspikes, since I just got them this winter and haven't tried them yet. I had a sad excuse imitation, so I'll be excited to use them if that's the case. Even though I'd love to see a lot more fresh snow! And I always have a back up plan....

mtruman
01-13-2010, 06:37 PM
The trail goes all the way around the lake. When we were there in October the bridge before the hut (going left and clockwise around the lake) was under construction and closed. Probably no issue now - particularly since you can go across the lake as Kevin suggested. Surprised that the map didn't show the trail going all the way around. The AMC maps and any others that I've seen definitely do. Have fun - this is one of our favorite winter hikes in the area.

Addicted
01-14-2010, 10:02 AM
I'm sure all my 'good' maps at home have the correct trail info. I do all my planning and such at work, when I don't have my resources outside of the web. I'll be sure to check and have the AMC map when I go on Saturday. Thanks for all the tips! You guys are always my best 'first hand' resource for true trail conditions and info!