PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else get a strange PM?

Breeze
01-17-2010, 05:10 PM
From LadyAdministrator?

I drop-kicked it immediately, but thought it was VERY strange.

Breeze

mtruman
01-17-2010, 05:23 PM
There's another thread that started yesterday on this. Apparently spammers have found a way into the PMs. I haven't gotten one of these but apparently a number of others have.

parnelli
01-17-2010, 07:36 PM
From LadyAdministrator?

I drop-kicked it immediately, but thought it was VERY strange.

Breezeyes I got it as well. I fowarded it to the admin(not a Lady):mad:

Brad
01-17-2010, 07:41 PM
I got it - saw the ID was "banned" and deleted it

h2oeco
01-17-2010, 08:06 PM
A number of people received these messages over the last few days, a couple users forwarded them to me. Bill and I talked about this, and as a result, he posted a sticky about it here (http://www.mountwashington.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5756).

Basically, if you receive one, don't click on any links, and don't respond. Feel free to forward the message to one of the moderators - Bill O, crudio, or myself (h2oeco) so that we can deal with it.

Thanks.

Ed (h2oeco)

Charlie
01-17-2010, 08:10 PM
A number of people received these messages over the last few days, a couple users forwarded them to me. Bill and I talked about this, and as a result, he posted a sticky about it here (http://www.mountwashington.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5756).

Basically, if you receive one, don't click on any links, and don't respond. Feel free to forward the message to one of the moderators - Bill O, crudio, or myself (h2oeco) so that we can deal with it.

Thanks.

Ed (h2oeco)

see this is one of the times i would use the thanks button :D

Breeze
01-17-2010, 10:07 PM
Thanks to all.

Didn't look in the rght place for that info ( head/palm). I have a hot finger for deleting stuff I'm suspicious about. No harm no foul here.

Breeze

TrishandAlex
01-17-2010, 10:46 PM
I feel left out, I didn't get one. :(

M_Six
01-18-2010, 12:39 AM
I was wondering how someone on a forum knew I had a virus on my PC. I was ready to be impressed. Alas...

Snow Miser
01-18-2010, 07:50 AM
I got one too. Knew it looked a little suspicious, so I just deleted it.

Patrad Fischroy
01-19-2010, 11:19 AM
I was wondering how someone on a forum knew I had a virus on my PC. I was ready to be impressed. Alas...

Not only that Mark, but you have been looking a little pale lately. Perhaps you should get outside a littel more. Now hold your head a little closer to the monitor and say AHHH, I want ot check your tonsils...:D

David
01-19-2010, 12:31 PM
Breeze,

Yes I got this PM from a Lady Administrator. I probably should have deleted it immediately. But I clicked the link first. Fortunately I have anti virus software that blocked what ever it was. Then I ran my virus scan (norton anti virus) and found no viruses. I then deleted the email. I pm'd Lady Administrator but never got a reply. Oddly, she seems to be no longer a member.

Very very fishy!

David

Brad
01-20-2010, 10:00 AM
Breeze,

Yes I got this PM from a Lady Administrator. I probably should have deleted it immediately. But I clicked the link first. Fortunately I have anti virus software that blocked what ever it was. Then I ran my virus scan (norton anti virus) and found no viruses. I then deleted the email. I pm'd Lady Administrator but never got a reply. Oddly, she seems to be no longer a member.

Very very fishy!

David
Not much of a lady if she did not reply.

paulgla
01-20-2010, 11:05 AM
As far as antivirus software is concered, your antivirus program is only as good as the definitions it has. It is imperitive you update the definitions at least once a week. The 'definitions' are the viruses the antivirus program is programmed to detect. So if your definitions are a month old (in many cases a year or two) and a new virus hits your machine you are NOT protected. Most antivirus programs have an automatic update feature and the definitions get updated in the background without you ever knowing it is happening but it is important to check from time to time. And keep in mind that your definitons could have been updated yesterday but if a new virus was written today, well,.....

My favorite example is the 'I love you' virus. About ten years ago some virus writer over seas sent out an e-mail titled "I love you". Someone opened it and it hit their system and sent that same e-mail to eveyrone in their address book. Within hours the virus shut down a good portion of the world. It did not do a huge amount of damage but it crippled servers with the repetitive e-mails as it attacked everyones address book. A day later the definitions existed and everyone with those definitions was protected. Bottom line....don't open it if you don't know who it is from and simply running a scan on it may not be the answer.

This is just viruses, we still need to contend with spyware.

David
01-20-2010, 12:26 PM
As far as antivirus software is concered, your antivirus program is only as good as the definitions it has. It is imperitive you update the definitions at least once a week. The 'definitions' are the viruses the antivirus program is programmed to detect. So if your definitions are a month old (in many cases a year or two) and a new virus hits your machine you are NOT protected. Most antivirus programs have an automatic update feature and the definitions get updated in the background without you ever knowing it is happening but it is important to check from time to time. And keep in mind that your definitons could have been updated yesterday but if a new virus was written today, well,.....

My favorite example is the 'I love you' virus. About ten years ago some virus writer over seas sent out an e-mail titled "I love you". Someone opened it and it hit their system and sent that same e-mail to eveyrone in their address book. Within hours the virus shut down a good portion of the world. It did not do a huge amount of damage but it crippled servers with the repetitive e-mails as it attacked everyones address book. A day later the definitions existed and everyone with those definitions was protected. Bottom line....don't open it if you don't know who it is from and simply running a scan on it may not be the answer.

This is just viruses, we still need to contend with spyware.

For what it's worth my Norton 360 updates automatically so it is constantly updated. Still this was a useful post. Thank You.

Karl Swenson
01-20-2010, 08:50 PM
I unfortunately did click, this is a classic "phishing" email.

It looked like it was running a virus scan and low and behold found many. It wanted you to download and open a program to save your computer.

ERASE this PM, if you open it accidently, click carefully and dont run/download/save any program.

I hope their is a special place for people who write virus's. I just dont get it.

Suggest some community service chipping rime ice with a teaspoon in a tee shirt somewhere.

Once, in 20 years did I get a virus. You dont want them. These Sc--Bags make you buy software you shouldnt need, and it slows your computer.

I did not run the program, apparantly have no problem, and will update and do a scan tonight, wasting more time and energy.

MOAB149
02-13-2010, 09:22 AM
Received two, one ref the virus and the other for an online pharmacy. Maybe they are picking on my due to my advanced years. See me as an easy mark. The virus PM was scary 'cas I could envision people actually falling for this and clicking on the link. Truly the dark side of cyberspace.
Cheers,
Dave

Snow Miser
02-13-2010, 09:33 AM
People that do this sort of thing will have a special "HOT" place to spend eternity on Judgement Day.:mad: