PDA

View Full Version : Mt. Washington Summit

katie
01-19-2010, 03:17 PM
Hi there,

I'm looking to climb Mt. Washington, preferably an overnight trip. I've been in touch with EMS, REI, and Mooney Mountain Adventures, however they are either full, not enough people signed up, or aren't offering trips until February. (I'm looking to go as soon as possible, ie. in January)

Any ideas of who else I could contact? I'm an active and fit female in my late 20's, however I have very little experience with crampons, ice axes etc. While I'm an avid outdoor enthusiast, I've only managed to try ice climbing a couple of times in the past. So I would obviously like to have the company of someone who is knowledgeable and experienced with Mt. Washington and the skills required to do it.

I'd appreciate any suggestions! Thanks!

Rjconway
01-19-2010, 05:21 PM
Kati,

It seems like you have looked in all the right places to find a group. Beyond what you have done, you can always hope to find someone on here to meet up with.

I saw you were looking to get up ASAP, but if you are around over the lond weekend in February, I am available. I will be spending Friday night up at harvard cabin and depending on the weather I will pick a day for summit.

Ryan

Knapper
01-20-2010, 02:44 AM
You listed everyone but IMCS (http://www.ime-usa.com/imcs/mountaineering_washington.html) in Conway. If these four (IMCS, EMS, REI/Mooney Mt.) have no available trips, the only other legal way to stay on the summit is via our edutrip programs (http://www.mountwashington.org/education/edutrips/). The only other option is already being fanned out: finding a group, coming up to the cabins or campgrounds around the summit and making a day trip to the peak. Or find a nice weather day and summit it in a day. If the right conditions are met, the summit is very doable in a day. But if there are openings like you said in February and you want to hike and stay on the summit, I would be patient and do them since it is only a few weeks off.

Trishap
01-21-2010, 08:11 AM
I agree to be patient and wait for a class since you had mentioned that you do not have much experience with crampons and ice axes. These two items are priceless when climbing Mt Washington and not only are they necessary but knowing how to use them safely can save you from some nasty injuries, ripping expensive clothing and injuring other climbers. I have summited over 33 times, and 30 have been winter climbs via the Winter Lions Head trail. It has been my experience that sometimes the steep sections can be jammed with new climbers from the school. And also remember not everyone who comes to climb Mt Washington is experienced.... some hair brains slide down on the descent with their crampons on and either flip upside down (so now they are heading head first) and cannot self arrest in time before their crampons jam into your calves. It is well worth the wait Katie and a little plug for EMS, I feel they are outstanding!