PDA

View Full Version : Boot to hike Mt. Washington?

Nick378
01-23-2010, 06:20 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm relatively new to winter hiking and I was wondering what kind of boot should I wear to hike comfortably Mt. Washington in March?

I was looking for a pair of Lowa Tectrek GTX with a good merino sock over a lining sock. Would it works?

Thanks for helping me, choosing the right pair of boot can be a pain sometimes...

Bill O
01-23-2010, 08:36 PM
Assuming it can hold a crampon that boot is probably fine.

Although, if this is a one-time ascent you may want to consider renting plastic boots.

Outside of Mount Washington in March what are you planning on using these boots for?

Nick378
01-24-2010, 10:30 AM
I was thinking about doing all season trekking/hiking with those. I'm a bit afraid that they could be too hot for summer walk, these having gore tex...

I doubt that a plastic boot would be as comfortable though, but I might try my old one.I still have to go climb Villarica volcano in 3 weeks also and I definitely won't do it with plastic boot. So I'm looking for an 3 season boot which can resist at snow once in a while, assuming I will treat the boots with the appropriate stuff.

Any other suggestion? I'm willing to pay between 150-200.

mtruman
01-24-2010, 03:26 PM
I think you're going to have a tough time finding a boot that is appropriate for MW in winter that will also serve for 3-season use. If you don't already have crampons and other winter gear you're going to need to rent those anyway so probably best to just rent the plastic mountaineering boots with the crampons. Several good rental places in the area. IME in North Conway is probably your best bet.

Nick378
01-24-2010, 08:03 PM
Yeah I already have everything. I might just stick with my old pair of nubuck boots with best the socks I can find.

I have gaiters also. I might be able to do it with that. hopefully..

mtruman
01-25-2010, 07:06 AM
You have crampons and an ice axe too? You're going to need them for winter on Mt Washington. Have you got someone that you're going with?

smithtim
01-25-2010, 07:55 AM
I was thinking about doing all season trekking/hiking with those. I'm a bit afraid that they could be too hot for summer walk, these having gore tex...

Any other suggestion? I'm willing to pay between 150-200.

If you are thinking all season I would say stay away from the goretex as you are probably right that they would be very hot in summer walks! If you were just looking to do a snow / winter climb this one time and wanted to buy something "more for summer hikes" you could always supplement them with a pair of stomsocks when you summit Washington... like said above all that you really need is something that can hold a crampon

But if you are looking to spend I would say 1st buy something that is made in Italy, France etc, a couple of good names to start with "La sportiva" & "scarpa"

Best of luck

p.s. I am sure you have read up on all the details of a winter hike up Mt Wash but here is some more "summary reading" of a lot of useful information that people shared with me

http://www.mountwashington.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5696

Nick378
01-25-2010, 08:17 AM
You have crampons and an ice axe too? You're going to need them for winter on Mt Washington. Have you got someone that you're going with?

I have both yeah. We are a group of 8 going there on a week-end actually. I'd rather not be alone since It's my first time on that tricky mountain!

Nick378
01-25-2010, 08:30 AM
If you are thinking all season I would say stay away from the goretex as you are probably right that they would be very hot in summer walks! If you were just looking to do a snow / winter climb this one time and wanted to buy something "more for summer hikes" you could always supplement them with a pair of stomsocks when you summit Washington... like said above all that you really need is something that can hold a crampon

But if you are looking to spend I would say 1st buy something that is made in Italy, France etc, a couple of good names to start with "La sportiva" & "scarpa"

Best of luck

p.s. I am sure you have read up on all the details of a winter hike up Mt Wash but here is some more "summary reading" of a lot of useful information that people shared with me

http://www.mountwashington.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5696

Thanks for your advices guys, this is a great forum!
I'm not sure what u meant by stomsock but I guess it's a thick hot merino sock. I'll look for the best treatment for my nucbuck leather boots (it's already waterproof but we're never too sure)

Oh and quick question, if my day pack doesn't have a hip belt, are my shoulder going to die by the end of the day? I always did my hike with a big 80 liter but I'm a bit tired. Not that is heavy, but it take too much place.

gravitydad
01-25-2010, 10:23 AM
A good boot for just about anything is the La sportiva trango. They are water proof and lite, and with good socks and an extra pair in your back pack to switch into later in the day will take you just about anywhere in the North East for a great day hike.