PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln/Lafayette

MelNino
01-25-2010, 08:51 PM
Who here hiked these two? What did you guys think? I know I can read the description in the Guide, but I like hearing from other hikers :)

Thinking about snagging one or both of these in June....after doing MWN around memorial day.

Def too ambitious in my hiking goals this year....unless I quit my job...hmmm...

mtruman
01-25-2010, 09:10 PM
We've done them twice - most recently in October and previously in July of '08. Franconia Ridge is probably my favorite hike in the Whites. If you had to pick just one other place besides Mt Washington for your hiking goals this year that's a good one. Here are the TRs from our two hikes:

http://www.mountwashington.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5438

This one was the day after we did our first STP in '08 and was the first day of a 4 day hut to hut from Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch. If you haven't done the huts it's another good thing to consider. Doing Franconia Ridge as a 2-day with a stay at Greenleaf gives you a chance to stretch things out and maybe get a sunrise or sunset on Lafayette.

http://www.mountwashington.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4033

MelNino
01-26-2010, 06:31 AM
Awesome, thanks :D.....now I really need to get back to the Whites. One of these days, we'll do a multi-day hike :D

Maybe I can get 3 more 4000' and Katahdin this year? ha

mahony
01-26-2010, 07:12 AM
I'll add my the link for my trip report from last May (below). I sort of use it as a record for myself as much as anything else, but it provides a decent description of things I saw, conditions and pictures of the trip. It too find the guidebooks useful, but limited into the "feel" of the trip (which of course depends upon your state of mind at the time).

Good luck in your trip planning.

http://www.hikenewengland.com/GarfieldLafayetteLincolnEtcNH090521.html

BlueDog
01-26-2010, 10:17 AM
Not that I have ton of peaks under my belt in the Whites, but Lincoln/Lafayette is one of my favorites! Such a beautiful hike. If you look for my trip reports for this and last years Flags on the 48 hike, you'll see lots of pics of the loop.

mtruman
01-26-2010, 08:42 PM
Awesome, thanks :D.....now I really need to get back to the Whites. One of these days, we'll do a multi-day hike :D

Maybe I can get 3 more 4000' and Katahdin this year? ha

Liberty+Lafayette =2 One more then head for Maine. How about STP for that other 1? Any particular plans for Katahdin? We're planning to camp in Baxter for a few days in Sept (with Katahdin obviously at the top of the list). My wife is determined to drag me over the knife edge :-o

Anna LeBlanc
01-26-2010, 09:12 PM
Mel-The Lafayette-Lincoln-Haystack Loop has to be my husband Gary and my favorite all time hike.Right up there with The Rockpile.

If you catch a good day the view from the Franconia Ridge Trail is one you will NEVER FORGET!!!

Anna

MelNino
01-27-2010, 06:41 AM
Thanks for all the great TRs!! I've enjoyed looking at them at work :D (its okay, I have all my #s this months)

Don't think I can get STP...July is still a bust month at work, and I was very lucky to get a week in May/June. *sigh*

Katahdin would be later this year...have to plan my times off so I don't go insane with staying in CT. I think I'd take the AT up, Knife Edge scares me and I like taking the AT up peaks.

Well, I have a few months to plan!

rockin rex
01-29-2010, 03:04 PM
This peak is so awesome I named my son after it, Baxter. The A.T. up from Katahdin stream is awesome and the knifes edge I have heard is something not to be missed. This is one mountain everyone should climb. The best way to do the knife edge is with an over night at chimney Pond. If Baxter State park was not so far away (12 hours) I would be there much more often.