PDA

View Full Version : WINTER HIKING/CAMPING ADVICE NEEDED... Please

Supawags
01-26-2010, 09:08 PM
Three of us are planning a hiking/camping trip to Mt. Washington for a three day trip (Friday - Sunday).

We have the necessary equipment but, being new to the white mountains, we need some information to assist in planning the details.

1) Is the Lions Head Trail the best route to summit?
2) If so, how much time should we plan to day summit/descend?
3) Can you recommend any campsites near the Lions Head Trail?
4) Can you recommend a place to stay since we're arriving late Thursday night?

Thanks so much!!!

Wags

mahony
01-27-2010, 06:33 AM
Three of us are planning a hiking/camping trip to Mt. Washington for a three day trip (Friday - Sunday).

We have the necessary equipment but, being new to the white mountains, we need some information to assist in planning the details.

Thanks so much!!!

Wags

Ok so I'll take a crack at this.

1) Lions Head is the best route from the Route 16 side unless you are planning to a) ice climb up Huntington Ravine or b) have a seriously long trudge up Boott Spur...The rain and then snow of this week probably makes Lions Head somewhat dangerous for sliding falls. Check tuckerman.org for conditions and route planning. Ascents from other sides are more "hiking" than Lions Head, but you trade steepness for distance.

2) Completely depends upon the conditions. On a "nice" November day on the summit (sunny 30 degrees with 30 mph winds) and a full pack the trip up from Hermit Lakes Shelter and back to Route 16 (up Huntington and down Tuckermans) only took 6.5 hours including a visit at the observatory for 1.5 hours. High winds or low visibility (both fairly common on the summit cone) could seriously extend this time or even eliminate the possibility of hiking at all.

3) Hermit Lakes Shelters! The RMC has shelters on the North side but they are a good distance from the summit. Osgood tentsite (North East) is also a fair ways away from the summit.

4) Can't really help with this...I backcountry camp or stay in a shelter regardless of how late I get to the trailhead.

Rjconway
01-29-2010, 03:40 PM
check your PMs

Ryan

Supawags
01-29-2010, 08:04 PM
PMs? I'm sorry I am not sure what you mean... Thanks, Wags

mtruman
01-29-2010, 08:28 PM
PMs? I'm sorry I am not sure what you mean... Thanks, Wags
Private Messages. Link at the top of the forum page.

smithtim
02-05-2010, 07:03 PM

depends it can be very busy on the weekends :( it is the shortest & easy way to go though :)

if you are looking for something more technical huningtons is good as said above ( better bring a rope & a freind who knows a little about climbing ice/rock & watch those avlance forecasts Tuckermans is at extreme while Hunningtons is more moderate).. On the other hand if you are looking for something not technical but also not as crowded as Lion's head maybee check into some of the approaches from the west like jewell trail or ammocusih raviene ( yeah that is spelled wrong).....

when I was a bit younger and in better shape I did Lion's head from Pinkman in maybee 5-6 hours... but it is always best to get a pre dawn alpine start and leave yourself plenty of time + if you do that you'll already be coming down when it gets busy so you can sit back and watch / relax a bit

to my understanding all the huts are closed in winter except Harvard cabins ( ?? maybee RMC's over by mt. adams ??) but Lion's head can be done in a day so I'd say stay at Pinkman Thursday & Friday so then you would have two days to play for best weather

Best of luck, Tim