PDA

View Full Version : Hey everyone...

fallenrockzone
01-28-2010, 08:15 AM
I'm not much of a winter hiker, but I'm already pumped up for the spring. My question is, how young is too young to bring hiking? I have a four month at home, and I would LOVE to get her out in the woods asap.

I'm not talking about taking her peak-bagging or anything, just maybe a few day hikes in the whites.

Does anyone have any thoughts or comments?

Anyways, just dropping by the site to see what's cracking. Looks like a bunch of updates since my last login.

Rich
01-28-2010, 01:05 PM
All my boys were in backpack carriers as soon as they could hold their heads up on their own (front carriers prior to that). Start young and get her out there. Warmer days in the winter are great too. Just watch the sun, it's strong bouncing off the snow and she might burn.

mtruman
01-28-2010, 11:03 PM
If you look around you'll find several other threads on this subject. Most of the responses on those are encouraging like the one you got from Rich. We had our daughter in a backpack carrier and on the trail very early too. Never regretted it. Just use common sense and take the precautions to keep them safe. Nothing better for kids than being outdoors and learning to love it - the earlier the better!

Lawson
02-01-2010, 07:59 PM
I'll second what Rich and mtruman said. I've not yet any kids, but I've been "hiking" since I was one-ish, and now I live a life filled with appreciation for the outdoors and, thanks to a combination of the power of natural beauty and hours of forced bonding, my parents.

I'll reiterate this, too: snow albedo is definitely a factor that is easy to forget but very important to take into consideration with a young child-- their skin and eyes are so fragile! Enjoy hiking with your kids! Those memories are not soon to be forgotten.:)

NEpilot
02-02-2010, 01:30 PM
If you look around you'll find several other threads on this subject. Most of the responses on those are encouraging like the one you got from Rich. We had our daughter in a backpack carrier and on the trail very early too. Never regretted it. Just use common sense and take the precautions to keep them safe. Nothing better for kids than being outdoors and learning to love it - the earlier the better!

Same here though I did get a remark every now and then about how young children belong in the house and I'm risking their life....yada yada yada. But for every one of those comments I got 10 of "it is so nice to see a dad taking their daughter outside these days".

My daughter was in my carrier backpack when she was 6 months old. I used my jetboil to heat her milk up when she got hungry. She loved it and it generated many photos I treasure.