PDA

View Full Version : STP 10 places your staying

Charlie
01-31-2010, 09:41 PM
post the place your staying and what the dates you will be there ,that way if some one needs help with a place to stay they can look here

im staying at the Mt. Madison Inn/Motel in Gorham http://www.mtmadisonmotel.com/
good prices and a pool and hot tub
im staying fri ,sat nights going home on sun

Snow Miser
02-01-2010, 07:58 AM
Charlie, great idea for thread!

We are staying at the Jefferson Notch Motel and Campgrounds http://www.jeffnotchmotel-cabins.com/

Very nice place with reasonable prices. Pool and hot tub too.
Staying Wed, Thurs, Fri and Sat nights.

CHRIS
02-03-2010, 09:14 AM
Have you already made your reservations Charlie? I am waiting for my wifes approval and then I am going to try if they are already accepting. We also will be there on Friday and Saturday nights. Can't wait til July.

KD Talbot
02-03-2010, 12:51 PM
We booked the shelter @ Moosebrook as per usual again this year. We'll be there starting Thursday 7/22 and leaving Monday the 26th. There is room for a couple of small tents @ $10. per person per night.

It has yet to be decided, but we may hike on Friday this year. There was some anxiety last year with Emma and too many people on Tucks. We will still be at the other scheduled events.

Everyone is welcome at the shelter each night and especially Saturday night post hike/dinner!

KDT

Charlie
02-03-2010, 06:37 PM
Have you already made your reservations Charlie? I am waiting for my wifes approval and then I am going to try if they are already accepting. We also will be there on Friday and Saturday nights. Can't wait til July.

yes i did i did it on line nice cheep place with a hot tub out side and close to Moosebrook to see the others

Charlie
02-03-2010, 06:39 PM
Everyone is welcome at the shelter each night and especially Saturday night post hike/dinner!

KDT

i will stop by after the dinner this year

KD Talbot
02-03-2010, 08:30 PM
i will stop by after the dinner this year

...in your kilt? :D

KDT

mtruman
02-03-2010, 10:58 PM
Moose Brook - Friday to Monday. We'll definitely be at the shelter on Saturday night (and I will not be wearing a kilt)!

When we made our reservations a week ago most of the sites were available - lots of room.

CHRIS
02-04-2010, 06:43 AM
I got the go ahead to reserve @ Mt. Madison motel. My wife is planning on doing the hike with me if she gets her foot thingy fixed by then. If not she wanted to be able to stay at the motel and use the pool till I get back. If she does not do the hike with me I am thinking of starting around 3am again because it was so peaceful and scary (I was alone)that time of the morning.I plan on going to the campground after the dinner to.

If I reach my goal and "only" if I reach my goal I will be wearing a kilt.

CHRIS
02-04-2010, 10:08 AM
My reservations are made suppose to be room #3 @ Mount Madison Motel. Oh can't wait till July. Now all I have to do is beg for about 800.00 more to get my fleece.

Charlie
02-04-2010, 08:23 PM
Chris if your wife does not hike she can take a ride with my wife to the summit ,nancy will be driving my truck up to pick up Brad and my self because we wil not be hiking down so we can spend some time up there .we did that last year and it was nice just to walk around and not rush down .

CHRIS
02-05-2010, 06:50 AM
Thanks Charlie I will let my wife know. Hopefully she will be hiking with me. But if not,Thanks for the offer.

faegilr
02-06-2010, 08:39 AM
We stay at Moat Mountain generally. No pool, but great drinks and food :)

http://moatmountain.com/

mtruman
02-06-2010, 09:52 AM
We stay at Moat Mountain generally. No pool, but great drinks and food :)

http://moatmountain.com/

Great drinks and food indeed! And they just finished completely remodeling all the rooms. We're staying there for a long weekend in March. Can't wait!

Brad
02-06-2010, 08:52 PM
Should we start counting now how many times Charlie refers to the hot tub?

Charlie
02-07-2010, 08:18 PM
Should we start counting now how many times Charlie refers to the hot tub?

did you say hot tub .i thought you said hot tub .Chris there is a hot tub there . i will be in the hot tub after my hike .
do you think i like hot tubs ,well i love hot tubs :D
do like hot tubs ,hot tubs are refreshing .
i know Mark likes hot tubs
is a hot tub a hot tub before the heat is on .i think its a cold tub then a hot tub :eek:

MOAB149
03-09-2010, 08:07 PM
Charlie,
Thanks for the link. I just made reservations at Madison. You're right, the rates are reasonable. Arriving Thursday, departing Sunday. Look forward to seeing everyone and making some new friends.
Cheers,
Dave

Charlie
03-09-2010, 09:32 PM
hay maybe we could have a hot tub party :D

Snow Miser
03-10-2010, 07:38 AM

Great idea. As long as everyone leaves their Speedos at home.:D

Rich
03-10-2010, 09:10 AM
We're in Twin Mtn. for a week prior to STP and a week or two after, unless we go over to Acadia. Twin is our "summer home" each year. Good central location and North of the crowds.

MOAB149
03-14-2010, 11:00 PM

It sounds like we should all meet at Annie Bailey's Irish Pub in Lancaster for a STP10 Planning/Idea Exchange Party. I'll spring for the first (of many) rounds.
Cheers,
Dave

Snow Miser
03-15-2010, 12:34 PM
Great idea Dave! I can handle the second round.

MOAB149
03-15-2010, 05:48 PM
Great idea Dave! I can handle the second round.

We just have to hear from Charlie and pick a date. Live music on Sundays.

Snow Miser
03-15-2010, 08:06 PM
Dave, I just checked out their website and it looks like a really nice place. I have been in Lancaster many times and never knew it was there. Very nice beer list too. I hope we can put a together a gathering time.

MOAB149
03-16-2010, 12:24 AM
Dave, I just checked out their website and it looks like a really nice place. I have been in Lancaster many times and never knew it was there. Very nice beer list too. I hope we can put a together a gathering time.

Well, we now where, just pick when. Charlie, oh Charlie.

BlueDog
03-16-2010, 02:45 PM
Hmm... just over 100 miles from me! However if its just gonna be you guys in a hot tub, I might have to skip out. :P

MOAB149
03-16-2010, 07:28 PM
Hmm... just over 100 miles from me! However if its just gonna be you guys in a hot tub, I might have to skip out. :P

Anyone who wears a Kilt is OK with me.

Charlie
03-16-2010, 09:15 PM
no hot tub at this event
Dave lets pick a date and see if it works ,you and Bob have to drive the most so pick it

nice looking place

MOAB149
03-17-2010, 09:47 PM
OK, I think a Sunday afternoon will work best for everyone. April 4th, 11th, whenever.

MOAB149
03-18-2010, 04:39 PM
OK, I think a Sunday afternoon will work best for everyone. April 4th, 11th, whenever.

Sorry, the 4th is Easter Sunday so that date is out. You guys pick a Sunday and I'll be there. Any other STPers in the area who want to join us you are most welcome.

Snow Miser
03-18-2010, 06:55 PM
April 11th or any other Sunday would be good for me. As for a time, do you want to do lunch, supper, or in between? I can be there whatever time works for everyone else.

Charlie
03-18-2010, 08:08 PM
the 11 is good for me at this time and any time of day is good

Freebird
03-21-2010, 05:02 PM
All,
I jumped into this post late; however referring to the original post of places you are staying...Im looking for some input. This is my first seek the peak, the kick off party on Friday is in North Conway but I notice a number staying in Gorham. Where is the best place to stay to be in close proximity to all the happenings before after the hike on Sat?

Thanks
Rob

mtruman
03-21-2010, 11:37 PM
There's no easy answer to that. N. Conway or somewhere closer to Pinkham (like Dolly Copp if you're camping) is closer to the official activities. There are a number of us that stay farther away but get together outside the official events (as well as at them). As long as you're there it's all good. If it's being close to the official events that you're after though (and aren't looking for a campsite) then either N Conway or Pinkham (AMC Joe Dodge Lodge) are your best bets. Book something now - everything fills up quickly.

Charlie
03-22-2010, 08:18 PM
All,
I jumped into this post late; however referring to the original post of places you are staying...Im looking for some input. This is my first seek the peak, the kick off party on Friday is in North Conway but I notice a number staying in Gorham. Where is the best place to stay to be in close proximity to all the happenings before after the hike on Sat?

Thanks
Rob

the only thing in north conway is the kick off party ,the dinner is at the auto road and it ids close to gorham ,it is a lot cheaper and not as much traffic up there
depending on what trail you take to the top will also help where you stay
i like to stay away from north conway

and welcome to the forum

MOAB149
03-23-2010, 10:04 AM
April 11th or any other Sunday would be good for me. As for a time, do you want to do lunch, supper, or in between? I can be there whatever time works for everyone else.

APRIL 11th it is. How does 1:00 P.M. work?

Snow Miser
03-23-2010, 06:37 PM
APRIL 11th it is. How does 1:00 P.M. work?

1:00 PM on the 11th works for me. I'm already getting thirsty for a Guinness Stout or Murphy's Irish Red.:D

MOAB149
03-23-2010, 06:51 PM
I went on Google Earth and I am satisfied the Madison Motel is close enough to Pinkham Notch where I intend to jump off for STP.

Charlie
04-02-2010, 11:01 AM
I went on Google Earth and I am satisfied the Madison Motel is close enough to Pinkham Notch where I intend to jump off for STP.

last year Brad ,Ed and my self set of from there at 3 or 4 am and got up high enough for some good sunrise pictures before the rain

MOAB149
04-02-2010, 11:59 AM
Charlie,
Next Sunday, the 11th at 1:00 PM, Annie Baileys Irish PUB. STP get together. You'll be there, right?
Cheers,
Dave

Charlie
04-02-2010, 03:05 PM
Charlie,
Next Sunday, the 11th at 1:00 PM, Annie Baileys Irish PUB. STP get together. You'll be there, right?
Cheers,
Dave

yep im there

CHRIS
04-02-2010, 06:40 PM
Man I wish I lived close to there. I would join you guys. Have a pint for me.

MOAB149
04-02-2010, 06:42 PM
Man I wish I lived close to there. I would join you guys. Have a pint for me.

Me too! I'd have an excuse to wear my Kilt.

Snow Miser
04-02-2010, 09:00 PM
I'll be there too. Looking forward to getting together to discuss the event.

Brad
04-03-2010, 08:26 AM
Sunday afternoon April 11th I am showing houses or I would be there.

Snow Miser
04-04-2010, 10:05 PM
Sunday afternoon April 11th I am showing houses or I would be there.

Chris and Brad, wish you could make it down here. Good luck showing houses Brad. Hope you get some potential buyers.

MOAB149
04-04-2010, 10:48 PM
Ditto Brad. Hope this means the markets are improving.

Brad
04-05-2010, 08:34 AM
Chris and Brad, wish you could make it down here. Good luck showing houses Brad. Hope you get some potential buyers.
Right now I have 4 listings and am working with about 18 buyers. (Remember, I started in the real estate business in October so I am new at this.) They are all at different stages of "interest" - from we want something right now to maybe in about 2 years. There are plenty of buyers out there but they are looking for just the right spot. I showed 2 vacant lots with very good lake access on Saturday and that went well.

The 2nd home market will pick up when folks in Boston "feel good" about things. Right now 2 years worth of buyers are out there looking and waiting. If something comes on that is priced well, they will pounce on it.

rockin rex
06-30-2010, 08:09 AM
Madison and I are now offically doing Seek The Peak. Made the reservations last night. Friday night we will be at Dolly Copp campground. Sat. night Dolly Copp, Sunday night Madison Hut and Mon. night back to Dolly Copp. Want to see if Mad and I can do a 1/2 Presie traverse. We will climb up to Madison Hut via Daniel Webster trail. On Monday Would like to do Adams and Jefferson then head down six husbands to the Gulf and then back to Dolly Copp. Looking forward to swimming with Mad in the gulf. Will tag Clay when we climb the rock pile for Seek the Peak. With this schedule this will leave our tent site open for Sun. night. If anyone is looking for a free tent site at Dolly Copp for Sunday night drop me a line. Hey Kevin if we aren't staying at the Moose can we still come visit on Sat. night after the turkey dinner. Would love to hang with you guys again. Can't wait till Seek the Peak.

BlueDog
06-30-2010, 10:29 AM
Rex, coming to the party Sat night is req'd! Looking forward to catching up with you guys!

Tim&Val
07-04-2010, 08:23 PM
I apologize for the late jump into the thread! Haven't been on in awhile! We're at Moose Brook Friday through Monday.

We WILL BE at Kevin's after-party this year.

Valerie

BanjoChris
07-15-2010, 02:45 PM
Has anyone stayed at the Joe Dodge lodge, I was thinking about sleeping in the van at Pinkham Notch, but I've heard rummors they don't appreciate that...thoughts and input are appreciated. I did a hotel last year, wanted to rough it a little more this year. I'm going to the concert, so I don't figure a camp ground is a viable option.

Thanks
Chris

BAXTERCA2
07-15-2010, 10:33 PM
Hi Chris -
Some may disagree with me or have more experience with this and of course they will chime in but, staying at Joe Dodge and sleeping in a van are two different things. I'm not 100% sure but, I don't think they would appreciate someone sleeping in their parking lot especially since there will be a flurry of activity in the morning. There is always the chance they won't notice or care though.

Have you looked into area campgrounds since they are roughly $20 a night. Sounds like you need a place to sleep before and after STP.

Just a thought

BlueDog
07-15-2010, 11:44 PM
Speaking from experience... they do NOT let you sleep in your vehicle in the lot at PNVC. Last year we tried sneaking into the lot late Friday night and quickly crashing in the van. Soon came a knock on the window that we had to go, no matter if we were planning to nap just an hour or a couple hours. Something to do with State Park rules. The same gentleman did advise us that if we got out on the main road, drove 1/2 mile down to the pull off on the side of the road, there was no issues if we slept there.

mtruman
07-16-2010, 06:05 AM
We've stayed at Joe Dodge and it's nice. Not cheap though. The room price includes dinner and breakfast (and the food is always good). Be sure to call since they are likely booked up - particularly on STP weekend. The option that BlueDog mentions may be best if you are really OK with sleeping in the car.

BanjoChris
07-16-2010, 08:18 AM
I bit the bullet and booked a room at Eastern Inns...I got too much work on my mind to worry about accomodations in the whites...

Thanks all!!!

Chris