PDA

View Full Version : Mt Jackson

Addicted
02-15-2010, 10:51 AM
Has anyone done Jackson in the winter? I've read two different versions of the trip, one being "the easiest of the 4000 footers" and one stating that it "Kicks your butt", but can't find a good winter account. I thinking of making this my first 4000 footer this year to add to the list, but would like to do it in the winter (March). We'll be doing Pierce the first weekend of March (have already done in summer), so if you can compare it to that, I'll have a good idea what I"m getting into. I've done almost all the presi's in the summer, but none in winter. Any shared stories or advice would be great. Thanks.

TrishandAlex
02-15-2010, 12:08 PM
We did Jackson two weeks ago. It is definitely one of the easier 4Ks, as long as the trail is decently packed and the summit ledge isn't too icy.

If you can do Pierce, you can do Jackson.

1HappyHiker
02-15-2010, 06:07 PM
It is definitely one of the easier 4Ks, as long as the trail is decently packed and the summit ledge isn't too icy.

If you can do Pierce, you can do Jackson.
I agree 100% with Trish's statement quoted above.

Also, below is a link to an account of a winter ascent in January of this year.
http://mountainwandering.blogspot.com/2010/01/winters-glory-on-mt.html

Addicted
02-16-2010, 01:16 PM
Thanks guys! I think I'm ready! A nice layer of fresh snow should be packed down by then!

Tparnes
02-22-2010, 11:39 AM
I went up there this past Saturday (2/20/10) and the trail was nicely packed down. I got away with bare booting it and I used crampons on the last scramble to the top. Microspikes would be perfect but I do not own them yet! Was a great hike.

-Tyler

lisa_j
02-22-2010, 08:06 PM
We were there Saturday (2/20) too! Posting TR right now....