PDA

View Full Version : Mt Jackson 2/20/10 TR

lisa_j
02-22-2010, 08:39 PM
Hi all!
After being cooped up for the past few weekends at home, I twisted Jeff's arm and convinced him to take me winter hiking again. He put a great trip together and we headed up to WMNF Saturday morning.
The whole drive up showed us clear blue skies and mild temps and it wasn't until we passed the exit for the Kancamagus that the skies turned ominous and the freezing rain started. We asked ourselves if we were crazy and even though the answer is yes, there were plenty of crazy people right there with us. The parking lot at the trailhead was PACKED, we actually had to park on the side of the road.
We geared up and were on the Webster-Jackson trail at 10am, just as planned. The trail started uphill pretty much immediately and our bodies heated up. We were glad that we were wearing such light layers.

The trail was packed down pretty well and even though we brought the snowshoes, our microspikes were perfect for the job. We crossed a few frozen brooks and took in the beautiful snow-covered scenery. As we got higher in elevation, the freezing fog became thicker and everything had a layer of ice on it - including us!

Fellow hikers on our way down warned us of the high winds on the summit so we knew that we wouldn't be up there very long. We planned on reaching the summit, taking a picture and then heading back down into the trees for a nice hot lunch. And that's exactly what we did!

The trek down was quick and simple and we made it back to the car 5 hours after we started. The fever's back and we're planning our next trip for March - suggestions? :)

http://www.jeffandlisacc.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=29941&g2_serialNumber=2
http://www.jeffandlisacc.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=29976&g2_serialNumber=2
brr!
http://www.jeffandlisacc.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=30016&g2_serialNumber=2

CHRIS
02-22-2010, 08:48 PM
Great T/R and pics. Thanks for sharing.

TrishandAlex
02-22-2010, 09:19 PM
Wow, I was just there two weeks ago, and it looks so very different with the new snow!

Congrats on your hike. Looking forward to your next TR!

KD Talbot
02-23-2010, 09:10 AM
Isn't the forest just beautiful draped in snow? If you haven't been to Pierce in winter then I highly suggest it as well. It's a little longer than Jackson, but not as steep and no scrambling. If you get a clear day the views are tremendous!

KDT

lisa_j
02-23-2010, 11:15 AM
Thanks everyone - it was a lot of fun!
KD - thanks for the info on Pierce. We're considering either that or Liberty for our visit in March.

KD Talbot
02-23-2010, 01:15 PM
Liberty is worthy as well. The shorter distance compared to Pierce just means steeper terrain. :)

KDT

Jimmy Legs and Little d
02-23-2010, 07:39 PM
Very nice report and pictures. A most memorable hike worth the effort. Definitely plenty of snow on the trails. Let's wait and see what happens after the next storm works it's way north.
We may fall into the category of "crazy people" ;) as we have been told in the past.
I'll put in a second vote for Pierce.

Donna:)

Addicted
02-24-2010, 02:17 PM
I hope it looks like that for us when we're up there next weekend!! we are doing Pierce also in March (probably before Jackson, but who knows). I keep seeing these photos of fabulous snow covered trails and I really really want to see that when I'm there! Great pics!