PDA

View Full Version : Mt Chocorua via Piper Trail 2/22/10

Riptide27
02-23-2010, 08:11 PM
Hi all,
I'm new here and have really enjoyed reading many of your threads. I have been hiking the Whites since I was 6 yrs old so that?s 32 yrs. I have a great love for Mt Washington and have climbed it countless times however; I have only gone to the summit six times in the winter so I?m still a cherry when it comes to the extreme conditions that the mountain can produce. I'll be checking on the forum to find information on conditions and other various threads on winter climbing Washington and hopfully making some new contacts.

So here is my first contribution:
Mt Chocorua via Piper Trail
Trip date: 2/22/2010
Trail:l Piper
Trail head parking: Not plowed I needed to use my 4x4 to gain entry
Trail Conditions/Trip Report: The warm weather has made the lower half of the trail soft, but thanks to many snowshoe travelers it is well packed. Normal seasonal foot wear is fine (winter hiking boot). As you move past the 3.5 mile or at about the shelter split throw on your crampons for speed and safety. The combo of crampons and a good set of trekking poles will go along way here.
If you hike at a moderate pace (2-3mph) I would start your trip this time of year before noon otherwise you'll be coming down in the dark.
My total turnaround time was 4.5 hrs and it would have been shortened greatly if I had just put my crampons on a little earlier. The last 1.5 miles to the summit was spotty but keeping your crampons on is well worth it. I didn't need my climbing or ice axe, but glad I brought them with me since a slight change in conditions would have warranted the use of one or the other.

Jimmy Legs and Little d
02-24-2010, 03:39 PM
Welcome. Nice report. Maybe next time you can add a few pictures. Noticed you're from Newburyport - a fine NE town.

Donna:)

Snow Miser
02-25-2010, 07:48 AM
Welcome Riptide27! Nice TR. Look forward to reading more of yours. And if you take any photos, we'd love to see them.

CHRIS
02-25-2010, 08:51 AM
Welcome to the forum and great trip report. Yes we are pictureholics :D. Look forward to reading more of your reports. Thanks for sharing.

Riptide27
02-25-2010, 09:17 AM
Thanks folks for the warm welcome. I'll be sure to post pictures in future postings :)

Riptide27
02-25-2010, 10:15 AM
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i8/rptide27/Hiking/crampon-1.jpghttp://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i8/rptide27/Hiking/snowhiking-1.jpghttp://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i8/rptide27/Hiking/summitpole-1.jpg

krummholz
02-25-2010, 08:27 PM
Hey, love the black-and-white photos! People may think color is always the way to go, but the bw pictures actually show things you don't see in color. Besides which, they are aesthetically appealing. By the way, if you think 2-3mph is a moderate speed, you'll be leaving most of us in the dust!:)

1HappyHiker
02-26-2010, 09:11 AM
Welcome to the MWO Forum! Along with Krummholz, I also like the B&W photos. Additionally, I like your clever idea of using your trekking pole as a pointer to show your destination.