PDA

View Full Version : A "snowicane"? Who makes this stuff up?

spyboy
02-24-2010, 03:57 PM
My friends in Northwestern New Jersey said there's a "snowicane" coming. Who makes up these terms? Probably the New York Post...

http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/hurricane-versus-winter-storm_2010-02-24

Kirk

redthorne
02-24-2010, 08:41 PM
From the weather forecast I can see for here in Western MA they should be calling it a rain-a-caine. It rolls off the tongue better :)

Seriously though, yeah...snowicane? Definitely...odd, to say the least.

bclark
02-25-2010, 07:20 AM
Here's an entry from one of AccuWeather.com's bloggers, Jesse Ferrel, giving their viewpoint on the issue:

Jesse Ferrel's Blog (http://www.accuweather.com/mt-news-blogs.asp?blog=weathermatrix&partner=accuweather&pgUrl=/mtweb/content/weathermatrix/archives/2010/02/accuweather_forecast_puts_others_on_defense.asp)

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with either side. In fact, I can see good points on both sides. I just think it's good for people to see both viewpoints...

spyboy
02-25-2010, 03:15 PM
Snowicane, snowpocalypse, snowmageddon, I love these media words.

But I prefer Tsnownami myself :)

Kirk

Brad
02-25-2010, 04:02 PM
Snowicane, snowpocalypse, snowmageddon, I love these media words.

But I prefer Tsnownami myself :)

Kirk
Was that Snowin-on-me?

KathyC
02-25-2010, 08:42 PM
I'd call it a sludge-icane, I just got a ton of heavy slop where I live.:mad:

Bill O
02-25-2010, 09:07 PM
I'm not afraid to say it. Accuweather comes up with this stuff. They consistently over-hype storms and their impact....and why not? There is no accountability if they are wrong.

KathyC
02-26-2010, 07:22 AM
I take it back, we got about a foot over night, lots of wind too. It's supposed to snow through tomorrow. Wow..

spyboy
02-26-2010, 11:13 AM
Well we had high winds last night here in New Hampton.

This morning it was raining, then the sun came out, then flurries, then sun, then it was snowing sideways and foggy. Now it's overcast...

Bill O
02-26-2010, 02:42 PM
Pressure at my house dropped to 28.70"...that's pretty low.

bclark
02-27-2010, 10:49 AM
I'm not afraid to say it. Accuweather comes up with this stuff. They consistently over-hype storms and their impact....and why not? There is no accountability if they are wrong.

I'm not sure I completely agree with the last part of your statement. There may not be direct accountability, but when they hype a storm and end up busting, the public definitely takes notice and AccuWeather's reputation can certainly take a hit. So in that sense there are consequences for being wrong after hyping (or over-hyping) a storm.

I honestly think that their intentions are good. They want to bring attention to storms that they think will have a significant impact on people and property. They just go too far sometimes. In this case, I think the "snowicane" name for this storm is ridiculous, but they were pretty much spot on with the significant impact the storm would have.

Of course, I'll be the first to admit that I am a bit bias having worked for the there for several years and having been around the company since I was a young lad, because of my dad working there.

Brad
02-27-2010, 11:09 AM
I just drove up the Kanc from the Conway side and they got more snow up there than I have ever seen before. And I was there just a few weeks ago. At that time the parking areas and vistas were plowed out. Now, they have tried to plow some but others have not been touched. There are 8-10 foot high piles of snow across the entrances from the plows. I am in Conway now - and it is snowing hard - still.

KathyC
02-27-2010, 11:13 AM
It must have been a beautiful drive.

Brad
02-27-2010, 11:16 AM
It must have been a beautiful drive.
That is a snowy understatement.