PDA

View Full Version : Quick winter hike?

Addicted
03-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Anyone have a good idea for a quick winter hike- 4-5 hours tops? I won't make it northbound till around noon on Saturday and would like to try to get something in. I was thinking the Flume (cut out some travel distance) but would really like a view and a little elevation gain. But if not, any ideas would be appreciated.

MechAeroE
03-04-2010, 04:04 PM
One of my favorite winter hikes is up Mt. Cardigan. It has some of the best views and requires only a small amount of hiking. It you head up from the Cardigan Lodge side, and are feeling a little adventurous, you can try the Holt trail which is a little steep on sections but great fun. I didn't end up posting a trip report on here but here is the album from that hike:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4619949&id=782871053#!/photo.php?pid=4619948&id=782871053&fbid=330912006053

mtruman
03-04-2010, 08:47 PM
I'll second the Cardigan suggestion. Further south so you can get there earlier. Good for your time constraints. Nice views. Be sure you've got traction for the ledges on the summit though. The loop over both Cardigan and Firescrew is our favorite. Depending on your final destination Mt Avalon is another good shortish hike that still takes.some effort and has amazing summit views. Have fun!

Addicted
03-05-2010, 01:21 PM
Thanks guys. I've done Cardigan in the summer (one of my first 'real' hikes) years ago, so I'll consider it. Right now it looks like we might just take a leisurely stroll around the Flume. But there's always Sunday!

KD Talbot
03-05-2010, 08:09 PM
A short easy hike with some elevation and some views can be found across the highway from the Flume. Hike up to Lonesome Lake. It's short, has some elevation gain and the views from the middle of the frozen lake back towards Franconia Ridge are excellent.

Also, there is Bald Mtn and Artist's Bluff at the top of Franconia Notch.

KDT

lostacresfarm
03-10-2010, 08:53 PM
There is a very short hike along an old rail grade in Crawford notch. I beleive that it is called Mount Willard (not sure of name).

the trail starts just around the railway station.

I remember the view as being one of the best for the amount of effort - you end up at a south facing cliff. I would speculate that it might also be a good ski run with the right conditions.

Addicted
03-12-2010, 09:18 AM
We did Lonesome Lake earlier this winter. Amazing. A little sad that I didn't bring something I could use as a sled for the way down!

We also did Willard in the late late fall. Very nice hike. Sometimes it's nice to get away from the long strenuos ones for a change!

Off to do Jackson tomorrow! Here starts the beginning of 4000 footer quest 2010!