PDA

View Full Version : Why no poster?

One_who_waits
03-08-2010, 06:43 PM
Long time lurker, 1st time posting

This year will be my 3rd STP. Wife and I love it, great event.

I love my T-shirt, but I would love a poster. Something to remind me of the good times that is STP. T-shirts wear out and get thrown out. But a poster would last forever on my wall.

I see this as huge fundraising opportunity. I would easily pay $40 for a quality poster.

There are several New England artists that could do the job imo.

Dan McCarthy is a good example. He is from Mass and his work is amazing.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b291/weathermanvt/09_12_01silent_way.jpg

What do you guys think?

KD Talbot
03-09-2010, 09:41 AM
1st, welcome to the forum! 2nd, thanks for supporting the Obs through STP! I think you have a good idea. Maybe it could be turned into a contest of sorts, with participants voting for their favorite entry.

KDT

Snow Miser
03-10-2010, 07:36 AM
Welcome to the forums! I think you have a great idea. A quality poster would be a nice keepsake.

Also, how about a very inexpensive poster that we participants could buy from the Obs, customize with our personal message and photo, then hang up around our own neighborhoods to try to drum up support? The skies the limit for ideas here.

One_who_waits
03-10-2010, 06:26 PM
Thank you for the hospitality.

"Maybe it could be turned into a contest of sorts, with participants voting for their favorite entry."

I like, as long as it was a choice of artists who work with posters. I say this for a couple of reasons......1) Many of these artists have a following and in turn, a STP poster may appeal to a wider audience and raise more money. 2) It would be less work for STP. Why bother with the logistics if you can farm out the work.

"Also, how about a very inexpensive poster that we participants could buy from the Obs, customize with our personal message and photo, then hang up around our own neighborhoods to try to drum up support?"

Oooh, good idea. I would love a simple download poster that I could print out and hang at work.

I really hope this idea comes to fruition. There are so many artists out there, that do great poster work. I like Dan McCarthy a lot. New England based with an obvious love of nature. Here are some links to well know New England artists.

http://www.masthaystudios.com/ .....from Mass

http://www.pollockprints.com/biography.htm .......from Vermont

http://www.danmccarthy.org/news/00.news.html .....from Mass

and a great site for the medium ...... http://www.expressobeans.com/

All that being said, who do I call at STP to pitch my idea? Anyone know?

Thanks

mtruman
03-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Here's another vote for your idea. We're always looking for new ways to make STP better. As far as pitching your idea, I think you already have. All of the STP organizers are OBS employees and forum members so they'll see this thread.

Welcome to the forums and hope to see you in July.

kayhem
03-16-2010, 02:59 PM
Mark is right - we do read the threads! We were actually discussing a poster for this year's event several months ago. I'll bring it up at tomorrow's meeting and see where it's at. Thanks to all,

karen

One_who_waits
03-24-2010, 12:29 PM
Mark is right - we do read the threads! We were actually discussing a poster for this year's event several months ago. I'll bring it up at tomorrow's meeting and see where it's at. Thanks to all,

karen

Any updates???

Snow Miser
04-23-2010, 07:53 AM
As we get closer to STP 10 and most of us get into the fund raising mode, has there been any updates on a poster we could customize and print out?

Charlie
04-23-2010, 07:45 PM
i think its a good idea but the poster should not be too big ,how many people have big posters hanging in there in there house

BAXTERCA2
04-23-2010, 08:34 PM
Charlie - I have a few posters hanging in my basement. Something wrong with big posters? They actually look nice when they are properly framed. ;)

But, I agree not too big for the STP poster

Charlie
04-24-2010, 08:30 AM
there is nothing wrong if you have a play room or work shop but in my house there is not a good place to put a big one so one the size of a large painting would work for me :D

One_who_waits
04-24-2010, 12:05 PM
i think its a good idea but the poster should not be too big ,how many people have big posters hanging in there in there house

It all depends on the image.

Snow Miser
04-24-2010, 08:29 PM
I was thinking maybe 8 1/2" x 11". Something that could easily be printed from our computers and hung on a bulletin board or anywhere else like that.

Charlie
04-25-2010, 02:55 PM
It all depends on the image.

you probably have posters of Charlies Angels :eek:

One_who_waits
04-29-2010, 05:57 PM
you probably have posters of Charlies Angels :eek:

:) No, no Carlies Angels. But this 40 year old has more than one Concert Poster on the walls.

Has anyone heard if they are moving foward with a poster and who the Artist may be?

crudio
05-05-2010, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the ideas, everyone!

I will be making a standard promotional poster to hang around the region, but we are not planning to do a keepsake poster. We've tried these in the past, and have never sold enough to cover the expense of production.

We'll be sure to order some extra promo posters for those who would like one!

One_who_waits
05-05-2010, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the ideas, everyone!

I will be making a standard promotional poster to hang around the region, but we are not planning to do a keepsake poster. We've tried these in the past, and have never sold enough to cover the expense of production.

We'll be sure to order some extra promo posters for those who would like one!

Too bad. I wish you would reconsider.

I don't understand why you were responsible for costs. Many poster artists would jump at a chance like this.