PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks?

hikergrl
03-24-2010, 12:22 PM
Does anyone know if you can see fireworks from either Lakes hut or Mount Washington. A friend of mine will be at the Lakes hut for the 4th and was wondering if that was a possibility.

Addicted
03-24-2010, 04:24 PM
What an interesting thought! I can't speak from experience, but I would bet you must be able to see them from somewhere up there! Problem is a lot of towns don't actually do them on the 4th. I wonder what they look like from above?? I wonder if the Mt Washington Hotel does any...

Snow Miser
03-24-2010, 04:33 PM
I seem to recall that the crew can see the ones in North Conway. But, I'm just going from memory.

Knapper
03-24-2010, 06:41 PM
Yes*

*the summit of Mt Washington and Lakes of the Clouds can see fireworks on a clear night on the Fourth of July. But that depends on if there isn't fog or an undercast on that day. Two summers ago, it was gorgeous during our week and we could see 120 miles allowing us to see fireworks in the lakes region, Portland, Conway, Mt Washington Hotel, and Gorham. I say "week" because, the fireworks aren't always launched on the fourth but usually the weekend leading up to or following the date depending on what day the fourth lies on. Now last summer, we were in the fog for the entire weekend of the shows, as well as the hut meaning no shows could be seen anywhere. Now most people assume it looks like this photo shopped pic I did:Click Here. (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31003049&l=e7e1098344&id=1328737409) But in reality, they are much, much smaller. The one in the Lakes Region and Portland were just mere dots. They look big from beneath but from above, you have the realization of how small they actually are. But the one cool things, depending on the winds, is the delay in sound. Hopefully he'll get to see something...

BAXTERCA2
03-30-2010, 07:12 PM
Ryan, I couldn't figure out how to respond to your 4th of July photoshop touched up pics so, I'll do it here.

Pretty funny! My eye looked quickly for the better shot, I said WOW and then I read you comment and laughed out loud.

Karen

Knapper
03-31-2010, 12:20 AM
Thanks Baxterca2 (Karen), I'm glad you appreciated them. I was really pleased with that photoshop job I must say. As to why you couldn't comment there, I have my pictures open for everyone to see but only friends on facebook can add comments to else I get the spammers.

BAXTERCA2
03-31-2010, 05:02 AM
Ryan,
Maybe someday we can be friends or just FB friends :), so I can at least see your photos.

Have a great shift break.

Karen