PDA

View Full Version : Granite State of Mind

njhiker
04-01-2010, 10:24 PM
Just thought I had to share this with all. I'm sure some of you have already seen it...

It's a pretty good Jay-Z Parody made for NH!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX7nQrCgALM

:D :D :D

MelNino
04-02-2010, 08:32 PM
So THAT's how you pronounce Kancamagus!!!

Wow....that was actually very well done :) I want a copy to listen on my iPod whilst hiking

smithtim
04-03-2010, 12:58 AM
Lol
that is just to much

KathyC
04-03-2010, 08:07 AM
I am not a fan of rap music, that I absolutely Loved that. What a great commercial that would make....

I just boggles my mind how people from NJ could be so in love with that state...

njhiker
04-03-2010, 10:13 PM
Kathy,

What boggles your mind about someone from NJ loving NH? NH and VT are my favorite places to be. I can't stand NJ, and when the time is right I will be moving to New England and leaving this god awful state. There are a thousand reasons to love New England in my mind and especially NH! Overall though its the atmosphere, the outdoors, the people, Mount Washington of course, the mountains, the lakes, the overall beauty of the state, oh and did I mention the people (its a world of difference when you leave NJ how friendly people are). New England is just relaxing and NJ is just stressful and miserable, although there are alot of nice places in NJ, NJ just doesn't have anything on NH, VT, ME, or Mass. I grew up in a really nice area of NJ with tons of hiking and 100's of acres of forest right behind my home so I fell in love with the outdoors and hiking as a child, I was lucky though. I have been skiing since I was 7 and around here the skiing sucks, only Vermont and NH are the places to be in the winter. I was married in a small 200 year old church in Vermont over Columbus day weekend 2 years ago with the fall foliage in perfect color, and have been going to Weston Vermont every Columbus day weekend since I was a baby.

The city is a drag, nothing all that special about it, maybe cause I live only 30minutes away and been there and done that before. Its clogged highways, rude people, no one smiles, everyone hates bugs and needs to sleep in a 4 seasons to be happy.

Been there and Done that before with New England too, however there is lots more to explore, lots to see, and lots to hike/climb, lots to ski, lots of history, and alot more fun to be had in New England.

I hope that sums it up why someone from NJ would love NH so much or New England for that matter...

I believe its just a matter of preference and simply just being tired of the same old BS in a state where I have to drive through traffic just to enjoy the outdoors and take a nice hike.

:):):):):):) :D:D:D:D:D:D

njhiker
04-03-2010, 10:19 PM
LOL!!!!

Kathy,

I just viewed your profile and realized your from Northern Jersey too!!! LOL! My mistake, I thought you were really wondering why someone from NJ would love NH. I guess you were being sarcastic or maybe not.... LOL. Anyways, it's obvious you love the state too, how do you feel about NJ?

NJHIKER :D

MelNino
04-04-2010, 08:58 AM
LOL, just wanted share this amusing thing about NJ: besides Atlantic City when I was very young, I have never been. But I had a friend in college frm the Garden State, and was very NJ-proud. SO what did we New Englanders do? Teased him relentlessly :D He didn't like it much, but it was rather fun to do.

NJ ain't bad, you gave us Kevin Smith!

KathyC
04-04-2010, 02:03 PM
LOL!!!!

Kathy,

I just viewed your profile and realized your from Northern Jersey too!!! LOL! My mistake, I thought you were really wondering why someone from NJ would love NH. I guess you were being sarcastic or maybe not.... LOL. Anyways, it's obvious you love the state too, how do you feel about NJ?

NJHIKER :D

I guess I was being sarcastic, but in a good way. I question myself all the time about why I love it there so much and try to explain to others too. I'm right outside the city, you can see the skyline from the highest point in town. I guess I was trying to say that it amazes me how not just people from NJ, but other states around here too, that for some reason NH just feels like a calling of some kind. It takes me 7 hrs to get there, but I don't mind the drive at all, the miles just go by. And as I get closer, the mountains get taller I can pick them out by name, the more excited I get, just like a kid.

The first time I went there, it was just a feeling, such a peacefulness about it. It was calming, relaxing and beautiful and I couldn't wait to go back again and again and again. There were some years, my family made the trip up 3 times a year. We're not hikers or campers, but just for the area and the people there, it's just such a difference then here. Everything there is just different, the sky, the air, the feeling, everything. I could just sit and watch nature up there for hours and enjoy it so much.

Like you, I hate the congestion here, the fast paced hectic schedules, the houses right next to each other and the nasty people. Other then Yankee Stadium, not a big fan of the city either, a twenty minute drive to the stadium has taken me 3 hrs sometimes. But I do love the Jersey shore...

Your wedding must have been so beautiful. I would love nothing more then to one day get married in the little church in Jackson, by the Jackson falls and in October with all of the radiant colors.

That's why I love this website so much, looking in and reading the stories and seeing the pictures is like a little vacation. Some of the photos actually take my breath away, I just love it!!!
:):):)

Brad
04-05-2010, 08:44 AM
HA - I grew up in RI - vacationed during the year in VT on a dairy farm - spent summers at a boys' camp on a lake in NH and did lots of NH mountain hiking. Then we got married, had 2 children, lived in RI, moved to upstate NY, Green Bay, WI, back to NY - and every year we vacationed on a lake here in Maine. After 21 years of going to the same spot in Maine we bought and built our weekend, vacation, to become retirement home on the lake.

As we were driving back to NY after our first Christmas in our cabin we both realized we liked Maine better than NY. So, we sold the big house by work and bought a condo - and moved our residence and emotions to Maine. From there I worked in Florida, NJ and then NC. But, home has always been Maine. Being close to the ocean and Maine coast, the hundreds of lakes in western Maine, and an hour away from the NH mountains is a wonderful thing. Once our family fell in love with Maine it was an easy move and transition. Every weekend no matter where I was working, we would head to Maine to be home. As my son says, it was the best thing we ever did.

njhiker
04-05-2010, 07:57 PM
So What is Everyones Reason for Loving New Hamshire or anywhere in New England for that matter?

It's very interesting to hear the stories and reasons....

I'm wondering if this question should be a new thread...

NJHIKER :D :D

Charlie
04-06-2010, 07:57 PM
well im not there yet but hope to move to Maine in a couple years
and the reason i like the Mountains ,quiet and not as many people

mtruman
04-06-2010, 08:58 PM
For me New England is: the mountains, the ocean (and both close together). The changing seasons. The "closeness" of everything. The wonderful people. The place that has always been home - and probably always will be (although perhaps a couple of hundred miles further north someday).

MelNino
04-06-2010, 09:37 PM
I am a New Englander ('cept for liking the Yanks)

The seasons, the mountains, the ocean, we have 'em all, and with out having to travel far! yes, I do want to go out west and hike, and I do like AZ, but New England is and always will be my home. And hopefully, soon, I will be able to move to New Hampshire.

Besides MWN, why do I love NH? I honestly don't know...ya'd think I'd fit in with VT more ( I am a dirty hippie), but there is just something about the Granite State...

Let's put it this way....the first building I hit at the Big E is the New Hampshire one!

Snow Miser
04-07-2010, 03:37 PM
I've been traveling to New England since the mid 70's, and I still can't get enough of the nice things this region of the country has to offer. First and foremost, the thing I like most is the very nice people. Then there are the mountains, clean air, beautiful scenery and wildlife, the North Atlantic coast of Maine, lobster (Yum), and definitely my favorite, The White Mountains. I too would like to move to NH or ME one day and leave this megalopolis where life moves just too fast.

Morrisseyfan
04-07-2010, 10:07 PM
My first time in New England was on a family vacation when I was a young child. It had to be the early 1970s. I remember the sand dunes and the endless stream of cars on Cape Cod, and the accents you never heard in central Pennsylvania. Our family traveled all over the east coast on summer vacations, but the trip to New England was always my favorite.

As an adult, I have been to Alabama, California, Tennessee, Michigan and several other states, as well as half dozen countries in Europe. I even lived in Germany for five years and Berlin was a beautiful and interesting place to live in the mid 1980s to early 1990s; Yet my only wish is to one day live in New Hampshire.

I will never forget standing on the summit of Mt. Washington looking off into the distance amazed by the countless mountain peeks, and relieved to be so far from the excitable crowds of people teeming in the unseen towns and small cities below. It was the most peaceful moment I can recall and it is a memory that has never left me. I visit the OBS website several times every week just to remind me of the view. I hope to have the opportunity to see it in person again soon. My fiftieth birthday is coming up on the horizon, maybe that trip will be my gift to myself.

Great Guinness Ghost
04-08-2010, 06:54 PM
Too Funny!!!!

KathyC
04-09-2010, 12:53 PM
The other morning I went to get my cup to pour coffee and it accidentally hit the edge of my sink and cracked in two. It was my first souvenir that I bought on my first trip to NH. It had two moose with binoculars sitting on a bench waiting for tourists like we wait for them.
I was heart broken, I loved that coffee cup because of what it meant to me and I enjoyed starting my day with it. :(

When we have training classes at my job they usually like to start with an ice breaker. Some of the questions are about your favorite vacation spot, or where would you rather be, or if you won the lottery. With out even thinking my answer is always the same, Mount Washington Valley.

I am really enjoying this thread.....:)

njhiker
04-22-2010, 01:48 PM
This has been such a great response. I love reading all your responses and stories. Thank You! Seems most of us love New England for the same reasons and especially NH. There really can't be too much of an argument as to one of the most beutiful places in this country when you have Mountains, Oceans, Lobster, Skiing, Hiking, changing seasons and colors, wildlife, and excellent people all in one place.

What really interests me and what I really enjoy is everyones one special moment or memory from New England or NH. When you are having a long day it makes for great reading has brought a smile to my face.

I guess I should talk about my first lasting memory of new England.

I have been going to New England since I was an infant and have been bringing my children now since they were tiny, in fact my boy is only 3 and has been to NH, VT, ME, Mass., Ct., and RI already. He has been to Vermont about 6 times already in his short 3 years and there is no place like New England to bring them...

My parents met in a ski club in Vermont and we as a family have been traveling to the same spot close to Weston since I was born. It is a beautiful place call the Landgrove Inn. Set back in the woods on an old dirt road and farms all around, it is the most peaceful and tranquil place. There are no TV's in the room and no phones, no cell reception and the owners are just wonderful, the food in the small restaurant is excellent. This is the place that started as a ski lodge and became a really nice Inn, most of my memories are from spending weekends there, especially in October but the one that stands out the most was visiting and staying at the Mount Washington Hotel.

I must have been somewhere between 8 and 10 years old and remember begging my Dad to do the polar bear club swim at the hotel at 5am. I don't think he was to thrilled but he did it anyways, the river was cold and the swim was fun, after that we got to run up the hill and jump into the heated pool wheich felt great. Later that day we went to Mount Washington for my first time. At that time my Dad bought me my first MWO membership and we got a tour of the observatory. The wind was howling that day, I remember it so vividly, simply because I was so small and the wind was so strong that I was terrified to go up on the observatory tower. When I got to the bottom of the ladder/stairs I froze and would not go up. My Dad tried talking me into it but I just would not give in.

That remained on my mind for a long, long time and I was always dissapointed that I never went up and out on the tower. Finally in my late teens I had my chance to return and go up the tower, which I did and was thrilled. I had been back to NH many times since I was a child but not Mount Washington so I when I finally got the chance I was elated.

For this reason alone Mount Washington has always had a special place in my heart and always will. I have hiked many areas around Mount Washington, but it wasn't until last year that I finally got to actually hike to the summit of Mount Washington during seek the peak. This year will be my second summit of Mount Washington and it will be my wifes first attempt of Mount Washington. I cannot think of a better person to spend that hike with and cannot wait.

As the years continue to go by, more memories will be made, and especially for my children, most of them will be in New England, and of course probably Disney as well (thats my other favorite place, but pales in comparison to New England). My daughter is already begging me to do the hike up Mount Washington, but she still has a few more years before she can do that. We are all in training though. She has already been to the summit via the auto road and she did go up the tower. Next will be my son when he is old enough.

Once again thank all for your stories!

NJHIKER :)

krummholz
04-22-2010, 02:01 PM
A year ago I had a very tough decision to make. Living in Gloucester, Mass., I had a couple of what you might call "major life-changing events," one of which was the sudden end of an 18-year relationship. Being self-employed and able to work from anywhere, I decided that I was going to move to either northern NH or the Smokies. I had lived in Knoxville through the 80s and I became very involved with a group there that did a lot of off-trail hiking in the Smokies--rockhopping up streams and crawling through rhododendron. Kind of an acquired taste, but I have a deep love for that kind of adventure. On the other hand, I absolutely love the vast spruce-fir forests, the glacial ravines, the rugged landscape of New England. I have done a huge amount of hiking in the northeast, including the winter 4's. I agonized over it for months. In the end it became partly a matter of the people. I have some really good old bushwhacking buddies in the Smokies, and on the other hand most of my best New England hiking involved the person of the 18-year relationship, so many times in the best places I had a lot of sad associations. I decided to move down south. But I will always love New England, and I will come back at least once a year to do some good hiking.

wichitarick
04-27-2010, 11:51 AM
Hello
My first post and still wondering how I ended up here ? on the top of Mt. Washington from Kansas of all places :confused:
That said I followed you fine folks conversation and it seemed familiar lol
"sort of" except MY DISCLAIMER- I have been cityfied and a flatlander so long I would be a "TOURIST" out at the lake lol sad but true.
I paid my dues and earned my merit badges in western Colorado and although I did not realize it at the time ? on the wide open nothingness of western Kansas sage brush, Milo fields and back roads chasing pheasants.
I spent a spring ,summer and fall in North Conway on the Saco and clear over past Kezar lake and on the most of the back roads between the orchards on the Maine side past the valley. LOVE THAT SMELL.MMMM :cool:

BUT to read any debate about NEW JERSEY or any of the eastern cities and then say we are going to Mt Washington or the base or the Valley or a lot of other New England hot spots for that Matter lol :confused:still gets a chuckle out of me .
ANOTHER DISCLAIMER- I WOULD PAY DEARLY FOR THAT TRIP NOW. lol
But understand my first exposure to new England ,specifically The valley and the Saco and most of the folks heading up The Mt. for the road trip or day hike to earn their t shirt or stand in the WIND lol.
I had just left the western Rockies from a valley that was one the last hold outs for big money and was/is anti-tourist lol and was getting away from it all by going to a place that can see more out of towners and out of state license plates on a good(bad)lol weekend that we saw over a whole summer lol :p hilarious.
But I also understood that new England was forming tourism when we were still in Tee-Pees or on mules or flat out to scared to cross the Rockies lol:eek:
I speak frequently with a person who drives N.H. back-roads in a school bus who wouldn't trade it for his old job of big money ! but left a major METROPOLIS to do so. lol
My memory's of the ski areas and back roads and river trips will always be good ones although it was still a LOT of people to truly call it anything like getting away lol .
My dream now would be walking the whole coast of MAINE or least a summer in ACADIA MMMM :)
lol The wind speed on Mt Washington is higher than KANSAS gets a chuckle also. lol thanks Rick in Wichita Kansas.

wichitarick
04-27-2010, 12:39 PM
Hello
My first post and still wondering how I ended up here ? on the top of Mt. Washington from Kansas of all places :confused:
That said I followed you fine folks conversation and it seemed familiar lol
"sort of" except MY DISCLAIMER- I have been cityfied and a flatlander so long I would be a "TOURIST" out at the lake lol sad but true.
I paid my dues and earned my merit badges in western Colorado and although I did not realize it at the time ? on the wide open nothingness of western Kansas sage brush, Milo fields and back roads chasing pheasants.
I spent a spring ,summer and fall in North Conway on the Saco and clear over past Kezar lake and on the most of the back roads between the orchards on the Maine side past the valley. LOVE THAT SMELL.MMMM :cool:

BUT to read any debate about NEW JERSEY or any of the eastern cities and then say we are going to Mt Washington or the base or the Valley or a lot of other New England hot spots for that Matter lol :confused:still gets a chuckle out of me .
ANOTHER DISCLAIMER- I WOULD PAY DEARLY FOR THAT TRIP NOW. lol
But understand my first exposure to new England ,specifically The valley and the Saco and most of the folks heading up The Mt. for the road trip or day hike to earn their t shirt or stand in the WIND lol.
I had just left the western Rockies from a valley that was one the last hold outs for big money and was/is anti-tourist lol and was getting away from it all by going to a place that can see more out of towners and out of state license plates on a good(bad)lol weekend that we saw over a whole summer lol :p hilarious.
But I also understood that new England was forming tourism when we were still in Tee-Pees or on mules or flat out to scared to cross the Rockies lol:eek:
I speak frequently with a person who drives N.H. back-roads in a school bus who wouldn't trade it for his old job of big money ! but left a major METROPOLIS to do so. lol
My memory's of the ski areas and back roads and river trips will always be good ones although it was still a LOT of people to truly call it anything like getting away lol .
My dream now would be walking the whole coast of MAINE or least a summer in ACADIA MMMM :)
lol The wind speed on Mt Washington is higher than KANSAS gets a chuckle also. lol thanks Rick in Wichita Kansas.

mahony
04-28-2010, 06:34 AM
Love that video...:D:D Very well done too.

njgail11
05-18-2010, 10:31 PM
njhiker, i agree with you 100%. I hate NJ i have been here my whole life, can't wait to move out of here some day. Me and my husband love NH. We go to the Whites every August for 10 days for vacation to hike. As a matter of fact my husband is doing seek the peek this year. Well when i get a chance i will write to let you know how we first fell in love with The White Mountains.