PDA

View Full Version : I-91: Groundhog's Day

Bill O
02-05-2007, 12:46 PM
Who braved I-91 on Friday night? Or any other north country highway for that matter.

That drive broke into my top 10 for epic winter driving trips. Impressive since there wasn't that much snow. About 16 miles into Vermont I made it past a group of a dozen or so cars, mostly SUV's. I was about 100 yards ahead of them breaking trail in zero visibility when I looked in my rear-view mirror and I see an SUV begin to fish-tail. Next thing I know he's driving perpendicular to the highway, and then I see brake lights. Not sure what happened, I think the other cars avoided him.

I heard there were over 100 crashes on I-93 and I-89. I came across 3 on my trip, and I think most of the CT/NY pack of drivers was behind me.

AlpineHikerFan71
02-05-2007, 02:45 PM
Who braved I-91 on Friday night? Or any other north country highway for that matter.

That drive broke into my top 10 for epic winter driving trips. Impressive since there wasn't that much snow. About 16 miles into Vermont I made it past a group of a dozen or so cars, mostly SUV's. I was about 100 yards ahead of them breaking trail in zero visibility when I looked in my rear-view mirror and I see an SUV begin to fish-tail. Next thing I know he's driving perpendicular to the highway, and then I see brake lights. Not sure what happened, I think the other cars avoided him.

I heard there were over 100 crashes on I-93 and I-89. I came across 3 on my trip, and I think most of the CT/NY pack of drivers was behind me.
Bill,
thankfully I parked myself at home but around 8:30AM on Saturday morning they had a 30 car pile up on I-93 North of the Hooksett tolls closer to the I 89 interchange, all from once car spinning around on a patch of ice and then all well you know what broke out. One Fatality reported when a rescue worker got pinned between 2 vehicles. I heard and dont know how true this part is, but 93 north was backed up from Hooksett tolls to Exit 5 in N. Londonderry exit. thats a good 20 miles or so, but it could be possible since everyone was heading north to the ski resorts. It doesnt take much this winter as people are not used to the wintry weather I am assuming as compared to normal winter.
Glad you are ok and made it safe to your destination.

HikerBob
02-06-2007, 06:07 AM
I-91 early Saturday morning was interesting, but I've driven it in worse conditions. Same rules apply as for winter hiking: preparation, caution and then more caution!

Apologies for the singing along with the radio - but HERE (http://hikerbob.phanfare.com/album/204456/267123/12034587) is what my weekend commute can be like :)

Bob